Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 5181 of 52812, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Logistics wrote:
Very nice! I have the BX version of this very board with a single 500 in it. I haven't gotten around to it, yet butI have a pa […]
Show full quote

Very nice! I have the BX version of this very board with a single 500 in it. I haven't gotten around to it, yet butI have a pair of 500's and 850's or so that I could drop in this thing. I've never been interested in the whole Slotket scene so I won't touch on that, but I'd love to get this up and running on Win2K... or should it get NT 4.0? It's a little old and I don't remember what would be better on that rig. Maybe I could turn it into a router with a linux distro. *shrug*

Good find in any case! I love SuperMicro.

-Matthew

Skyscraper wrote:
This beautie. New in Box. ~23 Euro buyout. Also included 2x550 MHz P3 550 (used), Unspecified amount of memory (used). […]
Show full quote

This beautie. New in Box. ~23 Euro buyout.
Also included 2x550 MHz P3 550 (used), Unspecified amount of memory (used).

Seems someone planned a build a long time ago...

SupermicroP6DGE.jpg

Windows 2000 would be good on a P3. Nt4.0 is frustratingly limiting (no modern directX, no device manager)

Reply 5185 of 52812, by dacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:

That's a nice 286!

Thanks Phil! Do you or anyone know whether you can just plonk a new CPU in an old 286 mobo and it works? Or do you need matching oscillators or the like? Just wondering whether it's possible to upgrade it to a 286-16 by just switching out CPU's? 😀

Reply 5186 of 52812, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dacow wrote:

Thanks Phil! Do you or anyone know whether you can just plonk a new CPU in an old 286 mobo and it works? Or do you need matching oscillators or the like? Just wondering whether it's possible to upgrade it to a 286-16 by just switching out CPU's? 😀

I can only speak for 386 machines, because I don't have anything 286, but with a 386 the oscillator determines the clock speed (for some reason it is double the clock speed, so 80 MHz for a DX-40 and 66.6 MHz for a DX-33). And yes, just swap the processor. I imagine it will be similar with a 286, providing the board and memory and all of that is meant to run at 16 MHz...

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 5188 of 52812, by dacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ahhh okay thanks for the quick response and info guys, for the sake of keeping it old school original I'll leave the 286-10 in place 😀

For those of you who remember DK's 286 build, it's almost the same case except I lucked out and didn't get an LCD display with mine (286 Build).

Probably should have noted in my original post it came pre-installed with DOS 4.01 and Windows 3.0. Hardware appropriate 😀

Reply 5189 of 52812, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I actaully sold my 286 on ebay a year or so ago - I simply wasn't using it.

i kinda flipped out for a second because I thought you might have bought it! It is a very similar case, although the HDD I put in it was double-height 5.25".

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 5190 of 52812, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lukeno94 wrote:

The southbridge caught fire ratfink? How the hell did it manage that?

It went like this:
- smell of burning. Was that a crackle? Computer shut down, wouldn't turn on for a while.
- turned back on, smell of burning, crackling, it turned off again.
- decided most likely culprit was my psu, so swapped it.
- started up with case open next to me. lots of smoke and blue flashes and crackling from under the southbridge heatsink...
- under that heatsink, chips charred, motherboard charred.
- really is dead now!

No real idea why it happened. I was playing WoW at the time. I'd been using this board for 2 years, the same cards for at least a year except for adding a Killer NIC a few months ago. I don't overclock. I did recently swap for a 1920x1200 monitor from my 1600x1200 crt [which I ran WoW at 1280x960 on iirc] so the graphics would have been doing more. But I thought the southbridge dealt with peripherals, usb etc.

Other than that, HWMonitor used to report 60 degrees C for one of the tmpin sensors which seemed to be socket temperature. Could never work out whether to worry or not as the cpu and core temps were normally around 40.

It was a 790fx/sb600 chipset, so for what it's worth I've decided to avoid that combination - the replacement has an nvidia chipset [doesn't seem as fast in fact 5-10% slower]. My other am2+ is an asus with sb750.

Reply 5192 of 52812, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dacow wrote:

I went and picked up 286-10 today. Complete and still working, although I promptly removed the barrel battery which surprisingly hasn't leaked.

Nice one! Was half thinking of bidding on that one as well 😀 does it have a co-pro?

Reply 5194 of 52812, by dacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JidaiGeki wrote:

Nice one! Was half thinking of bidding on that one as well 😀 does it have a co-pro?

Heheh nah no co-pro and the 1.44MB was dead on it as I just found out now. The floppy disks weren't very exciting either mainly a bunch of random shareware disks including "Cake Maker" and "Recipes" 😀

Reply 5195 of 52812, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know if this could be considered "retro" but my core 2 quad q9550 arrived today
Now to attempt to install it. Fingers crossed

I hope the CPU heatsink can take the extra heat

Attachments

• Filename
    IMG_20141020_175338.jpg
    File size
    2.2 MiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5196 of 52812, by mrferg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got these plus a Dell 1707fp for ten bucks. I never had a copy of Doom 3, all I ever played was the demo back in 2004/5, so I'm a bit excited to try it on modern hardware.

Attachments

• IMG_6661.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_6661.jpg
    File size
    602.45 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

PacBell 386sx
Gateway 2k P75
HP Pav 7360 MMX200
SE440BX-2, P2 450
3 Modernish Dell Precisions

Reply 5197 of 52812, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mrferg wrote:

I got these plus a Dell 1707fp for ten bucks. I never had a copy of Doom 3, all I ever played was the demo back in 2004/5, so I'm a bit excited to try it on modern hardware.

I hope you like System Shock! (I kid, I kid, it's not NEARLY as good as System Shock)

Reply 5198 of 52812, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mrferg wrote:

I'm already envious of that TM F-16 FLCS score for such a low price!

Now all you need is an F-16 TQS and some gameport pedals...

Reply 5199 of 52812, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

$6.50 off ebay, works fine. No performance tests yet, just basic functionality tests. Popped it in my AMD K6-III/550 machine, came on fine and went through some basic dos test software just fine, even ran a color palette test and it went fine.

LoP57cu.jpg