VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 52280 of 52901, by CharlieFoxtrot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PcBytes wrote on 2024-03-25, 18:45:

Beware of that cooler on the 9800. You're lucky if the card works - they were notorious of failing with that heatsink.

Yeah, I know. I haven’t tested these yet, but all these are from the original owner. He had bunch of other fascinating stuff for sale starting from the 70s and 80s and he said that everything has has stored has been functioning. While I have no reason to doubt him, I guess I find out when I fire this up. It luckily wasn’t that expensive, so no big harm done.

Reply 52281 of 52901, by Dan386DX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, a few days ago I saw an 'unknown vintage PC' from some house clearance people on eBay for £60, I could see from the pic it was late 386 to early Pentium era so took a chance on it.

A few people on Vogons did some guessing as to what specs it might have based on phe pics in the listing.

OVj6RZn.png

Well, today it arrived, here's what we have:

Quick power on test reveals a 486DX4-100 and 16MB of RAM. Post beep, mem check fine. CMOS battery is dead.

I thought I could hear something rattling around inside the chassis so decided to power off and investigate inside before going any further.

There was oxidation on the rear screws and the shell was hard to get off.

Inside the case I found...these...🤣 - just loose in the top of the chassis, goodness how long they've been there.

rhdyG1L.png

Cable management in the case leaves much to be desired, guessing this is somebody's old home build:

SKlxHG6.png

Next I whipped out the VGA card:

1FX4Qk2.png

"Diamond Stealth 64" - aka S3 Trio 64, a 2MB card from 1994.

As a long time fan of DOS game OSTs and Midi music, the sound card was the part I was looking forward to the most:

fxf8GyD.png

ESS ES1868 - a Soundblaster clone, according to Phil's Compupter Lab, one of the better ones. I'll pop it in the Socket 370 system tonight and put it through its paces with the LucasArts titles I already have set up on there.

Finally we have the CPU, completely bare, I did not take off the heatsink and fan, it came like this, just dangling loose - I wonder how many times it's been run like this?

xv4ka5a.png

Overall, I'm pleased with the buy - there's much work to do; but it's a nice time capsule and aside from the cable management nightmare, and the corrosion around the back of the case; it's working and very clean. Board looks spotless, surprisingly!

Last edited by Dan386DX on 2024-03-25, 20:45. Edited 1 time in total.

90s PC: IBM 6x86 MX PR 300. TNT2 M64.
Boring modern PC: i7-12700, RX 7800XT.
Fixer upper project: NEC Powermate 486SX/25

Reply 52282 of 52901, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

90s cable management: "Do the cables get trapped when I put the cover on?" no "All good then, no need to get anal."

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 52283 of 52901, by StriderTR

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-03-25, 19:59:

90s cable management: "Do the cables get trapped when I put the cover on?" no "All good then, no need to get anal."

Heck, I still sometimes do that today, just behind the motherboard tray instead of in front of it. 😜

Retro Blog: https://theclassicgeek.blogspot.com/
Archive: https://archive.org/details/@theclassicgeek/
3D Things: https://www.thingiverse.com/classicgeek/collections

Reply 52284 of 52901, by Dan386DX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Heh, if we're honest, we've all seen worse cable management. I think people cared less before PCs had side windows.

I'm going to need a PS/2 PCI card. The DIN adapter I have works fine with a PS/2 keyboard, but my mouse + serial port adapter doesn't work in the serial port, it lights up so I know it's powering, but it's not seen by Windows 95. It could be driver related I guess.

Looks like an ex-school PC, along with Windows 95 there's some bloatware from RM who are an OEM who make computers for the UK education market. The most recent files on the system are from 1998.

Last edited by Dan386DX on 2024-03-25, 20:55. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 52285 of 52901, by mmx_91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dan386DX wrote on 2024-03-25, 20:44:

Heh, if we're honest, we've all seen worse cable management. I think people cared less before PCs had side windows.

I'm going to need a PS/2 PCI card. The DIN adapter I have works fine with a PS/2 keyboard, but my mouse + serial port adapter doesn't work in the serial port, it lights up so I know it's powering, but it's not seen by Windows 95. It could be driver related I guess.

Most PS2 mouses do not support working on serial ports via adapters. Only some models will work, specially the ones that came with the adapter inbox.

Some Genius and Microsoft wheel mouse or even Intellimouse come to my mind.

Reply 52286 of 52901, by Dan386DX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mmx_91 wrote on 2024-03-25, 20:51:

Most PS2 mouses do not support working on serial ports via adapters. Only some models will work, specially the ones that came with the adapter inbox.

Thanks for the heads up. In that case, a serial mouse might be easier and cheaper than the card.

Reply 52287 of 52901, by smtkr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looks like an ex-school PC, along with Windows 95 there's some bloatware from RM who are an OEM who make computers for the UK education market. The most recent files on the system are from 1998.

I think we started thinking about cable management when we needed to move well over 100W of heat and airflow management became important. This coincided with the window era.

Reply 52288 of 52901, by InTheStudy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
smtkr wrote on 2024-03-25, 21:25:

I think we started thinking about cable management when we needed to move well over 100W of heat and airflow management became important. This coincided with the window era.

Once again demonstrating why my lust for an ATX compliant CM5 is so rational. Only 25 watts but can handle every workload I want except one, and that\* could be handled by adding a 40W GPU.

\* Blender doesn't work on the VideoCore. Though, that's an OpenGL issue so the Vulkan builds *might* work. Either way, a Quadro P620 or T600 should fix it.

Reply 52289 of 52901, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CM5 comes in Sparc, Asus, Banana and Raspberry flavors so maybe you want to be a little clearer.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 52290 of 52901, by InTheStudy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-03-26, 01:15:

CM5 comes in Sparc, Asus, Banana and Raspberry flavors so maybe you want to be a little clearer.

Sorry, I thought that was implied by the context of "25W, VideoCore, can handle every workload". To be more clear, I mean the probably-upcoming Raspberry. Not fitting in a standard ATX mount was my bugbear with the previous I/O board, and no-one ever fixed it by releasing a standard-fit carrier.

Having something that fits in the space of ITX, but you can break out to slot space for expansion cards with the PCIe flex would basically be my dream ARM mobo. And as the World's Worst Recording Studio proved before I blew up the Sound Canvas; it really meets all my minimum specs.

I'd probably be even tempted by a $200 switch chip breakout board that turns 1xPCIe into 1xPCIe, 1xPCI and 1xNVME. But my core requirement is ATX mounting. Then I can put it in all my server chassis (the one with 8 sata bays, the one with the tape drive, the one with the CD and floppy and the three plain-compute-node boxes) as well as my old beige desktop case for building my dream retro-lookin home PC.

My house would just be full of fruitcake.

Reply 52291 of 52901, by ubiq

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Haha yeah, those CDs certainly look like evidence of an under-supervised child, jamming them under the gap in the top 5.25" bay cover.

Serdashop sells a powered PS/2 to Serial adapter that would probably make your mouse work. But yeah, might be cheaper to find a serial mouse.

Reply 52292 of 52901, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dan386DX wrote on 2024-03-25, 20:55:

Thanks for the heads up. In that case, a serial mouse might be easier and cheaper than the card.

Any 2 or 3 button balled ps2 Logitech or Microsoft mouse is a solid bet for Serial support through the adapter. Or an OEM rebrand of the same mouse (Compaq, gateway, etc) Same with the scroll wheeled versions.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 52293 of 52901, by Dan386DX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ODwilly wrote on 2024-03-26, 05:13:
Dan386DX wrote on 2024-03-25, 20:55:

Any 2 or 3 button balled ps2 Logitech or Microsoft mouse is a solid bet for Serial support through the adapter. Or an OEM rebrand of the same mouse (Compaq, gateway, etc) Same with the scroll wheeled versions.

Sounds good, appreciate this. Much better than a PCI PS/2 card that will have questionable compatibility with a 486 motherboard - and much cheaper than a serial mouse with an RS-232 head, they've become collectors' items.

Found a two-button Microsoft balled mouse on eBay for 1.50, basic as they come but looks clean and claims serial compatibility.

Reply 52294 of 52901, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A lot of PCI PS/2 cards are actually dumb adapters with a USB chip on them. I'm not certain that there are any true PCI PS/2 cards out there. Certainly none that would work from DOS. You might be better off with a serial card.

Reply 52295 of 52901, by Dan386DX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2024-03-26, 06:09:

A lot of PCI PS/2 cards are actually dumb adapters with a USB chip on them. I'm not certain that there are any true PCI PS/2 cards out there. Certainly none that would work from DOS. You might be better off with a serial card.

Indeed. But a serial card I already have, in the end it was just a matter of finding a serial mouse.

I think you’re right about the PCI cards though, certainly none of the modern ones will work in DOS or Win 95.

Reply 52297 of 52901, by Vipachei

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I haven't seen a slot1 Celeron with the plastic cover so I snatched this beauty. It's a Celeron 300A Sl2WM.

Attachments

Reply 52299 of 52901, by Minutemanqvs

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That’s absolutely not an official Intel case! Nice oddity 😀

Searching a Nexgen Nx586 with FPU, PM me if you have one. I have some Athlon MP systems and cookies.