VOGONS


Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 5400 of 47229, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not that I've ever seen or heard of. If they exist, they'd be made by a company like Matrox.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 5401 of 47229, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Not that I've ever seen or heard of. If they exist, they'd be made by a company like Matrox.

Just like S3, Matrox used 128 bit bus only since 1999. If there were chips with 128 bit buses during VLB era, they would be for higher class machines than PC.

Reply 5402 of 47229, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I purchased this a while ago but thought it was pretty cool (I don't think I've posted it before).

Boxed VLB ET4000 😀

Attachments

  • Filename
    IMG_2234.JPG
    File size
    329.67 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File comment
    Video Card
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_2232.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_2232.JPG
    File size
    167.76 KiB
    Views
    5926 views
    File comment
    Manual
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_2229.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_2229.JPG
    File size
    122.12 KiB
    Views
    5926 views
    File comment
    Box Side
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_2228.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_2228.JPG
    File size
    114.58 KiB
    Views
    5926 views
    File comment
    Box
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 5403 of 47229, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My SGI Visual Workstation 540 arrived a few days ago. It has 2 Pentium III Xeon 500 with 2 MB cache inside, expandable to 4 CPUs and 1 GB of RAM expandable to 2 GB.

tower.jpg
Filename
tower.jpg
File size
76.83 KiB
Views
5919 views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Filename
inside.jpg
File size
269.41 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Filename
pcix.jpg
File size
480.97 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 5404 of 47229, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well this is odd.

So I get that X1900XT card, try it in the computer and ....no signal , nothing, not even distortion , just no signal at all , the monitor was on standby waiting for the signal . I could hear the Windows Welcome tune which means its booting, but there was no signal (taking out the CMOS battery didn't do much either).

Eventually I got sick of this and decided to test it on a modern machine , and it worked the first time, no problems.

I decided to try that 7950 GX2 card in there (obviously this isn't on the compatibility list, given its a machine from a year ago) , and what do you know, it works first time too , no funky corruption at bootup, no crazy glitches, it just booted into Win7. I didn't install the drivers. but 2 minutes later when I put it into that ASUS A8N-SLI board, the corrupted visuals came back.....

back to square one I guess.... so it may be a problem with either the motherboard, or PSU Im guessing? the PSU a 550w PSU , so in theory it should be fine....

Reply 5405 of 47229, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Darkman wrote:
well this is odd. […]
Show full quote

well this is odd.

So I get that X1900XT card, try it in the computer and ....no signal , nothing, not even distortion , just no signal at all , the monitor was on standby waiting for the signal . I could hear the Windows Welcome tune which means its booting, but there was no signal (taking out the CMOS battery didn't do much either).

Eventually I got sick of this and decided to test it on a modern machine , and it worked the first time, no problems.

I decided to try that 7950 GX2 card in there (obviously this isn't on the compatibility list, given its a machine from a year ago) , and what do you know, it works first time too , no funky corruption at bootup, no crazy glitches, it just booted into Win7. I didn't install the drivers. but 2 minutes later when I put it into that ASUS A8N-SLI board, the corrupted visuals came back.....

back to square one I guess.... so it may be a problem with either the motherboard, or PSU Im guessing? the PSU a 550w PSU , so in theory it should be fine....

Well look at it this way, at least the cards are fine. Checked the slot for filth or bent pins? Also bad caps around the slot? As for psu the volts on the 12v rail would have to be really low to have problems early on.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 5406 of 47229, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nforce4max wrote:
Darkman wrote:
well this is odd. […]
Show full quote

well this is odd.

So I get that X1900XT card, try it in the computer and ....no signal , nothing, not even distortion , just no signal at all , the monitor was on standby waiting for the signal . I could hear the Windows Welcome tune which means its booting, but there was no signal (taking out the CMOS battery didn't do much either).

Eventually I got sick of this and decided to test it on a modern machine , and it worked the first time, no problems.

I decided to try that 7950 GX2 card in there (obviously this isn't on the compatibility list, given its a machine from a year ago) , and what do you know, it works first time too , no funky corruption at bootup, no crazy glitches, it just booted into Win7. I didn't install the drivers. but 2 minutes later when I put it into that ASUS A8N-SLI board, the corrupted visuals came back.....

back to square one I guess.... so it may be a problem with either the motherboard, or PSU Im guessing? the PSU a 550w PSU , so in theory it should be fine....

Well look at it this way, at least the cards are fine. Checked the slot for filth or bent pins? Also bad caps around the slot? As for psu the volts on the 12v rail would have to be really low to have problems early on.

as far as I can see there are no bent pins or any dirt (I cleaned it just in case) , and the capacitors look ok, still doesn't work . One thing to note is that when using an old PCI video card with the board (in this case I used an older Matrox Mystique I had laying around) , it was fine with no corruption.

the PSU is this exact one,

http://www.ncixus.com/products/?sku=21601

this same PSU worked fine with the A8V/X1950Pro AGP setup , so I doubt its a problem.

Reply 5407 of 47229, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sounds like it is definitely an AGP issue, or the motherboard is having issue shifting enough power around - that old PCI card won't be asking too much. Might be worth recapping the board, even if the caps look good, they could still be weak or drifting out of spec.

Reply 5408 of 47229, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think you mean PCIE, recapping the board is extra money to throw at it 😜 , plus Im basically useless when it comes to soldering.

if it keeps on going on I may just dual boot XP on my modern machine, but Im not too happy about using a 770 with it... the idea was to use a DX9 video card.

I could I suppose run 2 different cards but its a bit odd, and Im not sure how my PSU will react to it.

Reply 5409 of 47229, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Darkman wrote:

I think you mean PCIE, recapping the board is extra money to throw at it 😜 , plus Im basically useless when it comes to soldering.

if it keeps on going on I may just dual boot XP on my modern machine, but Im not too happy about using a 770 with it... the idea was to use a DX9 video card.

I could I suppose run 2 different cards but its a bit odd, and Im not sure how my PSU will react to it.

Ah, yeah, duh, wrong graphics era xD

Reply 5410 of 47229, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lukeno94 wrote:
Darkman wrote:

I think you mean PCIE, recapping the board is extra money to throw at it 😜 , plus Im basically useless when it comes to soldering.

if it keeps on going on I may just dual boot XP on my modern machine, but Im not too happy about using a 770 with it... the idea was to use a DX9 video card.

I could I suppose run 2 different cards but its a bit odd, and Im not sure how my PSU will react to it.

Ah, yeah, duh, wrong graphics era xD

guess Im kinda stuck (unless I spend more money on it, which Im not willing to do).

think a 750w PSU can handle both a GF770 and one of the other cards? (obviously not SLI , its mostly to avoid hardware/driver issues in XP)

Reply 5411 of 47229, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Darkman wrote:

guess Im kinda stuck (unless I spend more money on it, which Im not willing to do).

think a 750w PSU can handle both a GF770 and one of the other cards? (obviously not SLI , its mostly to avoid hardware/driver issues in XP)

750W should have no problems with GX2 and a GTX 770, but you'll be stuck at 307.83 (upper limit for the GF7) or older there. If you go with the ATi card you can have whatever drivers you want on the 770, and the 750W will have no problems there either. Remember: I'm running two GX2s on a 500W with no problems. Unless you have dozens of hard-drives or some other massive power drain (like you're running a few TECs on the PSU) it should be fine. 😀

As far as what you're reporting, I've said it before and I'll say it again: it sounds like compatibility issues with the Asus board to the GX2. The list is not very accurate. No idea on the X1950 refusing to start - I've had R3xx/4xx cards do that, but they're generally dead as a doornail (as in they do it in all machines); power draw the 1950 is about on the level as the GX2, but only under heavy load (and it isn't starting two GPUs and twice the RAM and so forth on boot-up). And single-GPU boards like that tend to be very compatible.

Let Windows load 307.83 for the GX2 (you'll have to uninstall everything and load them fresh for the 770 as well - it won't hurt the 770 and actually fixes compatibility with a game or two vs >320 series) and try it out in 3D, see what it does. Then you can decide if you want that combination, or to pull the GX2 and roll the 770 forward to 320-340 series and put the 1950 in with 10.2. 😀

Reply 5412 of 47229, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well that psu is a great psu so it is clearly the board, I had boards that were like this and found no solution beyond using a different card from the one I wanted. Another board or another build sadly..

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 5413 of 47229, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Ensoniq Soundscape Elite
ISA_Ensoniq_Soundscape+Elite_DB_f_001.JPG.

ISA_Ensoniq_Soundscape+Elite_f_001.JPG. ISA_Ensoniq_Soundscape+Elite_r_001.JPG.

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb
486 DX2-66/32mb/8gb/tseng4000 2mb/SB 16+WB/GUS 1mb/LAPC-I
286 12mhz/4mb/512mb/Vga 1mb/SB 2.0+Covox
PegasosII G4 / Amiga 4000 / Amiga1200 / Amiga 600

Reply 5414 of 47229, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@obobskivich

So I did the dual boot , initially I wanted to use the GX2 , but for whatever reason it doesn't like being a secondary card it seems. As a primary one its fine, but secondary it goes haywire. So I ended up going with the X1900XT with the 10.2 drivers.

ran the Doom3 benchmark just to see the performance of this thing, at the same settings as I used with the GX2 before it decided to go on strike (1600X1200 , ultra, 4x AA) and it got 65fps , which is pretty much identical to the 66 the GX2 got..... on the one hand Im very impressed, though I also know part of that has to do with the fact the X1900 is feeding off a core i5 3570k, as opposed to an A64 X2 4400.

Reply 5416 of 47229, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
Stojke wrote:

What is your oppinion on this card?

Sounds interesting. Will record some samples later.
But just play games - not show all, that this board can do.
Native software can more interesting thing:
"Applying effects by MIDI channel:
1. From the menu bar, select "Routing".
2. Mark or un-mark the check box for each MIDI channel.
3. Use the button next to each check box to select which part of the algorithm you wish to apply to that channel. The options vary with each algorithm.
4. Test as required, then click "OK" to close the screen." http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=184

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb
486 DX2-66/32mb/8gb/tseng4000 2mb/SB 16+WB/GUS 1mb/LAPC-I
286 12mhz/4mb/512mb/Vga 1mb/SB 2.0+Covox
PegasosII G4 / Amiga 4000 / Amiga1200 / Amiga 600

Reply 5418 of 47229, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Such a monster of a card that Ensoniq SoundScape Elite. Definitely my favorite sounding MIDI with that beast.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 5419 of 47229, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

30c7rwm.jpg

Vision Technology 486G motherboard with SIS 471 chipset.

486 MOTHERBOARD - SIS 486 G 3.3
SIS 486G 3.3/5V Rev:G,H Motherboard

- AWARD BIOS string 10/21/94-SiS-85C471B/E/G-2C4i9F30-00
- AWARD BIOS string 12/23/94-SIS-85C471B/E/G-2C4I9000-00
- 2-72 pin SIMM slots (1-128meg FPM DRAM)
- 4-30 pin SIMM slots
- 3-32bit VESA Local Bus slots
- 7-16bit ISA slots
- 64k-1024k CACHE support in 8-32pin sockets + 1 TAG RAM socket
- AWARD 1994-95 Auto-Detect BIOS.
- Supports LBA Mode Control & Large Disk DOS Compatibility.
- Green PC Connector
- SiS 85C471 9510 st 1994 chipset
- Supports 3.3v/5volt CPU's
- ZIF CPU socket 3 which supports these processors:
INTEL 80486SX/SX2,80486DX/DX2/DX4,P24D, SL80486SX/DX/DX2
CYRIX CX486S(M6),CX486DX/DX2(M7)
AMD AM486DX/DX2,AM486DXL2,AMDX4-120WB (AMD5x86)
- Supports speeds of 20/25/33/40/50/66/75/100 MHz.
- Manufactured by: Full Yes, Ably Tech and Vision Technologies

~ At least it can do black and white~