VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 6400 of 52840, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

With the two slots, I put in a Sound Blaster 1.5 and the SCSI card. I have plenty of parallel/serial options for getting files on/off, and the internal HDD controller uses a proprietary interface anyway (at least in the non-SX).

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 6401 of 52840, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jwt27 wrote:

Just received this: http://www.ebay.nl/itm/251789213605

The box is in pretty bad shape but the board itself looks like it's never been used. I'm curious to see how it matches up against the Asus P3B-F. One cool feature of this board is its Realtek clock generator, which can be set anywhere from 66 all the way up to 200MHz (!!!) in steps of 1 MHz!
There's a UDMA-100 controller on-board too, possibly with RAID, but I don't think I'll be using this since I already have a UDMA-133 PCI controller.

UDMA-100 VS UDMA-133 doesnt make much differents.. An older harddisk from that area never would fill up UDMA-133.. If you are lucky the harddisk will do about 50 -60 MB/sec

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 6402 of 52840, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jwt27 wrote:

There's a UDMA-100 controller on-board too, possibly with RAID, but I don't think I'll be using this since I already have a UDMA-133 PCI controller.

It's only udma 66,bx chipset supports only udma 33,the controller gives u udma 66 support,udma 100 came later to the market , i don't think there is a motherboard with the bx chipset that has udma 100 support via a controller.

Reply 6403 of 52840, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robin4 wrote:

UDMA-100 VS UDMA-133 doesnt make much differents.. An older harddisk from that area never would fill up UDMA-133.. If you are lucky the harddisk will do about 50 -60 MB/sec

SSDs should make a difference though 😉

Nahkri wrote:
jwt27 wrote:

It's only udma 66,bx chipset supports only udma 33,the controller gives u udma 66 support,udma 100 came later to the market , i don't think there is a motherboard with the bx chipset that has udma 100 support via a controller.

Weird, the sticker on the box says it has a UMDA 100 controller. Yet the manual says it's only 66.

The onboard controller chip is a Highpoint HPT370, and google confirms this supports UDMA100 and hardware RAID 😀

Reply 6404 of 52840, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Robin4 wrote:

Later hard drives like the Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 8 show appreciable speed bumps when they're attached to ATA133. When attached to a Promise Ultra100 TX2 and Ultra133 TX2 cards, the Plus 8 gets a 10% improvement between ATA100 and ATA133.

That said, these drives came out in 2002 or so.

Reply 6405 of 52840, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jwt27 wrote:

The onboard controller chip is a Highpoint HPT370, and google confirms this supports UDMA100 and hardware RAID 😀

http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/reviews/mo … E6-II_v2_1.html

You're right according to this review hpt370 gives u udma 100 and raid,so there are bx motherboards with raid 100,nice find.

Reply 6406 of 52840, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought this Flightstick for 1$ yesterday. Works great! I tested it in Descent and it's a pretty cool fully analog joystick.

It is built the same way as my IBM PCjr's joystick internally but the springs are much lighter which results in nice smooth movement. It uses potentiometers for both the X and Y axis and it might use one for the throttle too but I don't remember to be honest.

Anyhow here it is. It's built by CH and made in the USA.

sam_0339_v01_by_mad_king_corduroy-d8fsqnu.jpg

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 6407 of 52840, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
King_Corduroy wrote:
Bought this Flightstick for 1$ yesterday. Works great! I tested it in Descent and it's a pretty cool fully analog joystick. […]
Show full quote

Bought this Flightstick for 1$ yesterday. Works great! I tested it in Descent and it's a pretty cool fully analog joystick.

It is built the same way as my IBM PCjr's joystick internally but the springs are much lighter which results in nice smooth movement. It uses potentiometers for both the X and Y axis and it might use one for the throttle too but I don't remember to be honest.

Anyhow here it is. It's built by CH and made in the USA.

sam_0339_v01_by_mad_king_corduroy-d8fsqnu.jpg

AWESOME purchase. That's the joystick that got my through F-19, Falcon 3.0, X-Wing, Red Baron, etc! I have two of them, and IMO they're long-lasting joysticks. I haven't had one problem with them.

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 6408 of 52840, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dogchainx wrote:

AWESOME purchase. That's the joystick that got my through F-19, Falcon 3.0, X-Wing, Red Baron, etc! I have two of them, and IMO they're long-lasting joysticks. I haven't had one problem with them.

Same here...X Wing and Falcon 3.0 mostly. I had a Sidewinder by the time I played Red Baron, years after it came out.

But yes...Awesome purchase indeed King_Corduroy...one of my favorite joysticks of all time.

Reply 6409 of 52840, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks! Yeah I really like it so far, I just used it today again after I got the Packard Bell 812CD all setup and working again.

It's funny you mention Red Baron specifically because I actually got out my copy of that today and played it for the first time and I loved it. It's such a cool game. 😁

Reply 6410 of 52840, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

It's funny you mention Red Baron specifically because I actually got out my copy of that today and played it for the first time and I loved it. It's such a cool game. 😁

Oh .. does yours come in a unique case?

Reply 6411 of 52840, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unique? Uh no... it's complete in the original box though and it's the A10 / Red Baron version on CD-ROM.

If you mean that I said "My copy" I only meant to say that in a way as to express that I too own a copy and it's pretty cool.

Reply 6412 of 52840, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

Unique? Uh no... it's complete in the original box though and it's the A10 / Red Baron version on CD-ROM.

If you mean that I said "My copy" I only meant to say that in a way as to express that I too own a copy and it's pretty cool.

Mine came in a unique cardboard CD case. I can't post pictures because I don't know where it went. 😵

Reply 6413 of 52840, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just bought some SDRAM 128MB DIMMs (all of them PC133) and a VGA cooler.

7udLjIrl.jpg

There are two sticks missing from the photo, as I only remembered to take it after I upgraded my MMX to 256MB (from 32MB)... Could go for 384 but it seemed kindda pointless for that system. Also, the "odd" stick (above the rest, separated) just wouldn't work, tried reseating it multiple times, cleaning the contacts and everything I could think of. It seems pretty heavily abused (the memory chips are full of scratch marks), but the PCB looks okay. No biggie, I bought six (and it was absurdly cheap), but the seller sent 8, so I still got more than I thought I would. Also, the majority of them have 75 written on them and that makes me think they are 150MHz models, so I'm happy =)

Reply 6414 of 52840, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:
I just bought some SDRAM 128MB DIMMs (all of them PC133) and a VGA cooler. […]
Show full quote

I just bought some SDRAM 128MB DIMMs (all of them PC133) and a VGA cooler.

7udLjIrl.jpg

There are two sticks missing from the photo, as I only remembered to take it after I upgraded my MMX to 256MB (from 32MB)... Could go for 384 but it seemed kindda pointless for that system. Also, the "odd" stick (above the rest, separated) just wouldn't work, tried reseating it multiple times, cleaning the contacts and everything I could think of. It seems pretty heavily abused (the memory chips are full of scratch marks), but the PCB looks okay. No biggie, I bought six (and it was absurdly cheap), but the seller sent 8, so I still got more than I thought I would. Also, the majority of them have 75 written on them and that makes me think they are 150MHz models, so I'm happy =)

Given that intel chisets have cacheable limit of 64 MB, 256MB just as pointless as 384MB.

Reply 6416 of 52840, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stojke wrote:

How much does 430NX cache?

Max 512kbit on the motherboards. Can't find any information on cacheable limit, either it cached no RAM or the limit was 512MB (max. which the chipset could handle)

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 6417 of 52840, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RacoonRider wrote:

Given that intel chisets have cacheable limit of 64 MB, 256MB just as pointless as 384MB.

My Compaq has a VIA chipset, and I don't think it has this limit (even the brochire itself claims 384 to be supported w/o any comments on it not being cacheable). I certainly didn't notice any slowdown.

EDIT: The service manual claims that memory above the first 256MB is non-cacheable. It doesn't say if I need to increase the cache to 512KB or if the onboard 256KB cache is enough. It has a VIA VP2/AMD640 chipset. It seems to be performing well enough, but are there any tests that I could run that would indicate if the memory is being cached or not?

Reply 6418 of 52840, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm. Based on what AnandTech had to say about the VP2, it should support up to 512 MB of RAM, 2MB cache, and all of the RAM should be cachable. I have no idea if you need a specific amount of cache to cache that much RAM, or what limitations your specific board may have, but...

Reply 6419 of 52840, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Lukeno94 wrote:

Hmm. Based on what AnandTech had to say about the VP2, it should support up to 512 MB of RAM, 2MB cache, and all of the RAM should be cachable. I have no idea if you need a specific amount of cache to cache that much RAM, or what limitations your specific board may have, but...

I'll try running some benchmarks next week, with and whithout the MaxPhysPage setting to limit the amount of memory Windows can see.

In any case... THEY ARRIVED!!!! I'm now part of the Voodoo club!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God, the package took its sweet time to arrive here from South Korea... and, to my surprise, I had to pay an ungodly amout of taxes to get them from the post office, but I REALLY wanted them =)

RQAh1b1l.jpg

Now I need to make a cable to connect my twins in SLI mode... Though untill I get my P3 retro-rig that might not be very useful, since my MMX probably can't push a single one to its limits anyway.