Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 7481 of 52976, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
devius wrote:

Are these 8-bit sound cards Adlib compatible? How do they work if not?

I couldn't find my card in this list, but it looks somewhat similar to the cards at the bottom under "NAM DO SYSTEMS"
file.php?id=13910

IIRC (And this is years and years ago, I had this in an old Delta Gold 286 system with an EGA monitor), it may have been Adlib compatible... But I think I remember that the way the card worked was, it re-routed the PC-Speaker sound to external speakers and digitized it so it sounded better.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 7482 of 52976, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
devius wrote:

Are these 8-bit sound cards Adlib compatible? How do they work if not?

Yes, all boards with yamaha opl2 has to be connected to 0x388 port, and work without any configuration everywhere.
And codec part (dac) can be SB-compatibe or not, and sometimes require some proprietary driver to work.

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb
486 DX2-66/32mb/8gb/tseng4000 2mb/SB 16+WB/GUS 1mb/LAPC-I
286 12mhz/4mb/512mb/Vga 1mb/SB 2.0+Covox
PegasosII G4 / Amiga 4000 / Amiga1200 / Amiga 600

Reply 7483 of 52976, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
easy_john wrote:

Great! Found my card here http://www.yjfy.com/museum/sound/sound-8-ISA.htm listed as "Toptec Golden Sound"

Yeah, one must be a clone of the other or else both built to a standard design.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 7484 of 52976, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
easy_john wrote:

Great! Found my card here http://www.yjfy.com/museum/sound/sound-8-ISA.htm listed as "Toptec Golden Sound"

Still that doesn't answer the question... what does it do? The OPL2 is obvious but does it have anything more to offer?

Reply 7485 of 52976, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ I am 99% sure that it will also offer SB support , ie play 8bit samples like a thunderboard for example...
the mcu/cpu/dsp (whatever you wanna call it) on the upper left corner is a giveaway

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7486 of 52976, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
easy_john wrote:

Damn close to you'r card. Same as the other "Golden" posted earlier.
Must be different revision's though, same name.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 7487 of 52976, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
easy_john wrote:
jwt27 wrote:

Compare with the Toptek card I posted. It's a different revision of the same card.

Looks similar, same irq/dma jumpers, position of chips...
Can it be earlier Toptec sound?

If it was a toptec soundcard it would be written it on the PCB..
Maybe it could be one of the sub-vendors of toptek..

I still think profimedia could be the one you are looking for.. But luckily its using the same board as the toptek one..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 7488 of 52976, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brostenen wrote:

More interesting stuff! I wonder, what might be hidden under the label "qc check".
I carefully tore off the label - under it turned out to be a piece of board is white painted. I try to scratch a little bit to remove painted.
And there ..
IMG_4314.JPG.
I don't know what to think.

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb
486 DX2-66/32mb/8gb/tseng4000 2mb/SB 16+WB/GUS 1mb/LAPC-I
286 12mhz/4mb/512mb/Vga 1mb/SB 2.0+Covox
PegasosII G4 / Amiga 4000 / Amiga1200 / Amiga 600

Reply 7489 of 52976, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had to sacrifice a Mitsubishi multiscan monitor which lost a fight with a toner cartridge to retrieve this.

IMG_9022.jpg

A nice serial touchscreen overlay kit from Microtouch. Should work in other monitors but you basically have to pull the CRT out to stick it on. The three random wires attach to chassis ground, PSU ground and +12 inside the monitor wherever you can find points to solder to so it doesn't need a wallwart.
Documentation is online but so far no sign of any drivers or additional utilities.

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 7490 of 52976, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
easy_john wrote:
More interesting stuff! I wonder, what might be hidden under the label "qc check". I carefully tore off the label - under it tur […]
Show full quote
brostenen wrote:

More interesting stuff! I wonder, what might be hidden under the label "qc check".
I carefully tore off the label - under it turned out to be a piece of board is white painted. I try to scratch a little bit to remove painted.
And there ..
IMG_4314.JPG.
I don't know what to think.

Well..
As I wrote earlier. Terratech might have been registered in 1994.
Well... Registered as we know the name today.

They might have bought someone out in 1994 or the same two persons have been doing terratech as a hobby up till 1994. I suggest that you write terratech a mail and ask them about it.
Perhaps you could get some new info or they might be happy to see one of their old children.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 7491 of 52976, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got an AdLib GOLD. Looks good, feels good.
Also got the original SoundGalaxy BX. Never ever say one of this before as the BX II is much more common.

Would post pictures if someone is interested.

Last edited by FGB on 2015-05-02, 14:04. Edited 1 time in total.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 7492 of 52976, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FGB wrote:

Got an AdLib GOLD. Looks good, feels good....sounds... well.. can't tell right now.
Would post a picture if someone is interested.

Um.... YES!

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 7493 of 52976, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, the Sound Galaxy BX is this beauty. I like the card for its simplicity:

aztech_sound_galaxy_bx_isa_soundkarte_hq.jpg
Filename
aztech_sound_galaxy_bx_isa_soundkarte_hq.jpg
File size
400.67 KiB
Views
File comment
Aztech Sound Galaxy BX
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Here a link to the full res pic: http://www.amoretro.de/wp-content/uploads/azt … undkarte_hq.jpg

I wonder if anybody else here at vogons has ever seen or owned the original BX card?

I will post the AdLib card later - I'm just going to play some table tennis now.

Last edited by FGB on 2015-05-02, 15:29. Edited 2 times in total.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 7494 of 52976, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FGB wrote:

OK, the Sound Galaxy BX is this beauty. I like the card for its simplicity:

I wonder if anybody else here at vogons has ever seen a BX card?

I will post the AdLib card later - I'm just going to play some table tennis now.

That picture looks perfect on my 8K screen, wait I do not own a 8K screen... 😉
Bah you fixed it fast 😜

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 7495 of 52976, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hehe - I noticed that here is no auto scaler. Edited my post. Sorry man!

Reply 7496 of 52976, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, after a bit of faffing around with research, I've determined two things with regards to the Toshiba T1200 charger saga:

1: This Astec PSU is probably not the original, but a reasonable third-party replacement. The original appears to be a 12V, 2.2A Toshiba PA7485U, but there is only one on eBay, and I refuse to pay about £60 for a charger (far more than the laptop cost me) that would be coming from the US and at the very least need an adapter to use with UK sockets.
2: I have no idea how to take apart the Astec PSU. Found one screw, but that didn't help, and I can't see any others in it. Derp.
3: Although the charger adapter has some slightly less-common dimensions, I connected up one of my universal charger's adapters, and it fits perfectly from what I can tell. So I ordered a 12V-capable universal charger (mine only goes down to 15V). Hopefully this will get the old girl going!

Reply 7497 of 52976, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Aztech sound cards came in every Packard Bell back in the 90's and they were an absolute nightmare for using with other hardware. The conflicts these things caused are really where the term Packard Hell is absolutely true. 🤣

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 7498 of 52976, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

Aztech sound cards came in every Packard Bell back in the 90's and they were an absolute nightmare for using with other hardware. The conflicts these things caused are really where the term Packard Hell is absolutely true. 🤣

While your statement may be true for certain (much later) models / revisions it is very untrue for most of the cards Aztech made. One should be precise...
Which models are you referring to? Which problems did you encounter?

The early series of BX / NX generation with OPL2 and OPL3 Chips and the big 0592 chip for DSS comaptibility are very compatible with 99.x% of the SoundBlaster / AdLib compatible games. They are a no brainer to install, configure and use and came with very handy software.

Reply 7499 of 52976, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Im not trying to start anything here but from 94-96 I worked doing tech support for a game company. There were a lot of problems but sound problems were almost certainly due to Aztech sound cards. I don't know why they have a good rep on here, they were always considered the worst at the time and always the source of problems.