VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 8600 of 52940, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, what a haul! I can spot a SC-88 in there. Will you have enough luggage space to bring back everything?

Are the prices much cheaper than north america or does the attraction lie rather in the rarity of the items?

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 8601 of 52940, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I mostly recocnize console stuff. though you have a SC-55, if my eyes are not mistaken.

There are a first generation Ps2 harddrive (mostly sold in Japan), some Ps1 mouse and some Ps2-Memmory cards.
Is that handheld a "swan" or just one of those cheap LCD-games by the way?
Then there are this mystery console or pc in the top of the picture. The grey one. What is that? Looks special.

The sound canvas and the Ps2-HDD are probably the most exciting of that haul.

EDIT....
Nope. It was a 88. People here are better at recognicing stuff than I am. It turns out then. 😁

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 8602 of 52940, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The way the items are packed, and the way the pricetag's on the stickers are made.
I suspect that he has been to Japan (tokyo's big secondhand market perhaps) and brought all this home from a vacation.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 8603 of 52940, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm still here on vacation for another two days. I've been wandering just about everywhere for the last two weeks.

Are the prices much cheaper than north america or does the attraction lie rather in the rarity of the items?

Oh hell yes. You're totally eliminating the importer and the reseller so there's a huge profit margin you don't have to end up paying. Stuff like those PS2 memory cards were $3 each, that PS2 HDD was $30 and that three-box set of Evangelion on 10 laserdiscs was a mere $15.
The biggest steal was that 68000 ACE HD for 6800 yen. That's essentially $75 CAD.
Also yes that is an SC-88 and correct, you see a WonderSwan Color. I was repeatedly raiding a store called HARD-OFF which is essentially a second hand store for electronics. There's so many wonderful things and the prices were amazing. Want a CRT-based Sony projector? Sure, $100. One of several SC-88's? Sure, $60. Massive multi-channel audio mixer? Sure, AS-IS for $18.
Also, someone got an Edirol machine a few pages back. I've located a second one there. $30.
The two most bizarre things I uncovered there was those two Sony "Data Eata" PDF-V55 document digitizers (they are like the Canon Canofile) that store everything to MD-Data and there was the DD-8 Data Discman.

Here's the top five most expensive things.

1 - Canon 24-105mm EF L lens - 55000 yen
2 - Canon 17-40mm EF L lens - 48000 yen
3 - Sharp X68000 EXPERT keyboard - 12000 yen
4 - Sharp X68000 ACE HD - 6800 yen
5 - Roland SC-88 Sound Canvas - 5800 yen

Those two lenses pretty much destroyed my budget. Put me $300 overbudget overall but between the two I saved $1100 or so.

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 8605 of 52940, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

2 x Thermaltake Crystal Orb BGA Coolers (NOS) (2001)
W0DRzV.jpg

Media Vision Thunder Board (650-007-01-03F) ISA (Boxed) (1991) (Thanks to a fellow VOGONS member 😎 )
USrUJw.jpg

AMD Athlon 64 FX-51 (ADAFX51CEP5AK) (2003) (It's HAMMER TIME!!! (Get it?!) Just need to find a socket 940 motherboard now...)
2UXK7E.jpg

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 8606 of 52940, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Artex wrote:

AMD Athlon 64 FX-51 (ADAFX51CEP5AK) (2003) (It's HAMMER TIME!!! (Get it?!) Just need to find a socket 940 motherboard now...)

You could get a MSI K8T Master1-FAR. It was the launch board for the Hammer 😀, available the summer 2003. MSI K8T Master2-FAR is also an option, an extra CPU socket dosnt hurt, it was also availible the summer 2003. Both boards are the same normal ATX size.

I actually dont think you could get any other board the first couple of months. I guess the FX51 was released a few months after the Opterons when more boards had hit the market.

I bought some new stuff

Boxed Radeon 9800 Pro, aftermarket cooler but I have quite a few broken 9800 Pro cards I can borrow a cooler from if I ever feel the need. Very expensive, ~4 Euro.
ATI9800pro.jpg

Boxed Gigabyte Socket-478 i865 board with Zalman cooler and who knows what CPU. I got totally ripped off when it comes to this one... ~2 Euro
Gigabyte865g.jpg

Both items from the same seller in Sweden so the shipping ended up ~10 Euro... I hate it when I have to pay more for the shipping than the items.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 8607 of 52940, by Formulator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good haul today from a relative's pre-estate sale:

NEC PowerMate SX-16 with all of the goodies:

IMG_0237.JPG
Filename
IMG_0237.JPG
File size
1.75 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Also, an IBM Aptiva 2159-S76:

IMG_0238.JPG
Filename
IMG_0238.JPG
File size
1.51 MiB
Views
File license

I have not yet tested but will soon. Most everything was complete, but the NEC was missing the Windows 3.0 install disks (but I have the NEC 3.1 install). Thankfully, I did find all of the manuals and utilities disks. The Aptiva disks/manuals are not found yet but could be once more closets are cleaned out. The EXCEL box has no disks the the WORD disks are still sealed. Sadly some floppy disks were tossed a couple days before I arrived but I got there in time to rescue all of this stuff.

Reply 8608 of 52940, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skyscraper wrote:

Boxed Radeon 9800 Pro, aftermarket cooler but I have quite a few broken 9800 Pro cards I can borrow a cooler from if I ever feel the need. Very expensive, ~4 Euro.

leave it alone! That cooler is worth more than the card its attached to! high quality aftermarket coolers are FRAGGING RARE.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 8609 of 52940, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A note regarding S478 boards and coolers. I found that the tension is so strong, that when the board is removed from the case, it bends quite a bit. So I recommend to remove the CPU cooler, before removing the motherboard from a case. And when you install a board, install it first without the processor. Then when the boards is secured with screws, mount the cooler.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 8610 of 52940, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Artex wrote:
Media Vision Thunder Board (650-007-01-03F) ISA (Boxed) (1991) (Thanks to a fellow VOGONS member :cool: ) http://imagizer.image […]
Show full quote

Media Vision Thunder Board (650-007-01-03F) ISA (Boxed) (1991) (Thanks to a fellow VOGONS member 😎 )
USrUJw.jpg

So my suspicions turned out to be correct when i realized my bid had been cancelled... 🤣

Reply 8611 of 52940, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
carlostex wrote:

So my suspicions turned out to be correct when i realized my bid had been cancelled... 🤣

Apologies. 🤣 I haven't "Artex'd" anything in a while and I didn't think he'd agree to it with a single bid in there already. This one's been on my want list for quite some time, so I do apologize - especially since the bid was another VOGONS member.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 8612 of 52940, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philscomputerlab wrote:

A note regarding S478 boards and coolers. I found that the tension is so strong, that when the board is removed from the case, it bends quite a bit. So I recommend to remove the CPU cooler, before removing the motherboard from a case. And when you install a board, install it first without the processor. Then when the boards is secured with screws, mount the cooler.

Don't remember this being an issue with the two S478 boards I've ever worked with. Still, if you've got the room to do so properly, that's never a bad idea if your cooler can be mounted whilst the board is in a case.

Reply 8613 of 52940, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
philscomputerlab wrote:

YEa, this is mostly a problem with cheap inferior brands. I have a board from supermicro and even with a massive copper block, the thing barely even flexes.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 8614 of 52940, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I went to Savers and got a SMC ISA NIC as well as a Logitech Wingman Extreme digital for 99 cents.

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 8615 of 52940, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CelGen wrote:

Oh hell yes. You're totally eliminating the importer and the reseller so there's a huge profit margin you don't have to end up paying.

Japan is fucking crazy for retro tech aficionados.

Even at the "let's rip off the tourist" shops like Super Potato, you're still getting a stupidly better deal than buying from eBay or Yahoo Auctions. (even if they are relatively dear by local swap-meet/Hard-off price standards)

I think my complete-in-box Famicom (posted earlier) was somewhere around the $40 AUD mark.

CelGen wrote:

I was repeatedly raiding a store called HARD-OFF which is essentially a second hand store for electronics.

On my trip, I found Hard-off to be reeeeeeally hit and miss. I visited about 8, only one of them had anything relevant to computers or games. But I'm told this can very week to week, or even day-to-day, so you have to keep going back if you're after anything specific.

In the end, I relented to paying Akiba's "exorbitant" prices. I paid more than I would have if I had more time, but still waaaaay less than if I'd got this stuff locally.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 8616 of 52940, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Artex wrote:

Apologies. 🤣 I haven't "Artex'd" anything in a while and I didn't think he'd agree to it with a single bid in there already. This one's been on my want list for quite some time, so I do apologize - especially since the bid was another VOGONS member.

No worries. Since your want list is getting smaller and smaller i'll guess i'll have a bigger chance in the future. 😀

Reply 8617 of 52940, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Catching up on older posts...

Munx wrote:
This arrived a few days ago for my K5/Voodoo machine, I plan on adding some more memory on this. [image of a 2MB ViRGE card] Wou […]
Show full quote

This arrived a few days ago for my K5/Voodoo machine, I plan on adding some more memory on this.
[image of a 2MB ViRGE card]
Would this be the correct memory? Also seems to be damn expensive for what it is.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALLIANCE-AS4C256K16E0 … =item5d55be661c

I'm not totally sure why you are upgrading the card. 2MB is fine for DOS 2D, there are better cards for Win9x (2MB still allow for 1024x768x16bpp), and the card is too slow for 3D anyway (for S3D I'd at least use a Virge/DX or /GX, not a plain /325, and the card only has 60ns RAM anyway).

oerk wrote:

EDIT: I do have a spare 1.8 GHz Pentium M. Normally I wouldn't even think about disassembling a complete laptop for 100 MHz more clock speed, but considering the CPU is regularly at 100%, and with my old HP the increase from 1.4 GHz to 1.8 GHz was tremendous - it might even be worth it.

Maybe the 1.4 GHz was Banias and the 1.8 GHz was Dothan? Did you check which core the 1.7 GHz and your spare 1.8 GHz have? If you are not upgrading from Banias to Dothan I won't expect more than the 5-6% frequency increase suggests.
I'd probably look at the software side first. XP should run fine. Maybe Linux doesn't support some hardware component?

Reply 8618 of 52940, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
idspispopd wrote:
oerk wrote:

EDIT: I do have a spare 1.8 GHz Pentium M. Normally I wouldn't even think about disassembling a complete laptop for 100 MHz more clock speed, but considering the CPU is regularly at 100%, and with my old HP the increase from 1.4 GHz to 1.8 GHz was tremendous - it might even be worth it.

Maybe the 1.4 GHz was Banias and the 1.8 GHz was Dothan? Did you check which core the 1.7 GHz and your spare 1.8 GHz have? If you are not upgrading from Banias to Dothan I won't expect more than the 5-6% frequency increase suggests.
I'd probably look at the software side first. XP should run fine. Maybe Linux doesn't support some hardware component?

Wow, didn't expect someone to answer that... All of them are Dothan, even the old 1.4 one. I've since upgraded to 2 GHz just because I could, and I do notice some improvement. Not overwhelming, but it certainly didn't hurt.

Reply 8619 of 52940, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Joined the Roland club. SCP-55 for a fair price (I assume, those seem to be too uncommon to have a going rate?), including software, manuals and MCB-3. Sorry for the quality of the photo. (Forgot the manual for DoReMix on the photo.)

I tried to test it in my Dell Latitude D600 under XP (that's what I had at hand), it gets detected. I tried to force the MPU-401 driver, but the IRQ is stuck at "?", none of the available settings is accepted. Since that was just a test it is not too important, but if anybody has suggestions to make please do! I'll try Win98 next, either on the D600 or on an older PII notebook. (I realise that's still not completely period correct.)

Attachments

• SCP-55.jpg
    Filename
    SCP-55.jpg
    File size
    647.97 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    SCP-55
    File license