VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 8640 of 52966, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seems to vary a lot. I suspect they have some kind of contract with the courier, possibly they wait for the OUT pile to reach a certain size or the courier picks it all up at certain intervals. If you order at the right time it might just reach the pile as the courier gets there and you get it early, otherwise, you're waiting for them to come and grab it.

It seems I can affect eBay purchases from the US when on the Pitney Bowes program as it seems they only fly certain days, if I time it right it goes right through in about a week, if i leave it a day late it takes twice as long whilst waiting for the next flight... Still haven't quite gotten it down yet and it's pointless anyway so I don't try, it was just an observation I made over time. Also depends how quickly they get the item to KY or NY where the two main handling places seem to be for shipping this way.

Fastest order ever was from Japan. I ordered two things that day, a Sega (MK-II Wondermega for anyone wondering) from Japan with middle-of-the-road shipping (Just enough that my item was insured) and a sound card (Came from my city on a nearby industrial park) - the Sega got here in three days, the sound card (1st class) took a week! I remember talking to the postman about it when I signed for the parcel, we had a good laugh at the expense of the Royal Mail (Royal Manglers) over that one, he said the boys were probably playing soccer with the sound card which turned up the Monday of the following week (Several days later than the Sega).

That's our postal service though, it isn't always very good. There are worse ones in the world I am sure, Royal Mail at least tend to get the parcel there in one piece, they just run up a bill and send it the longest way possibly most of the time - I think that sound card had been out to York before coming back to Hull (Where it started) and reaching me.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 8641 of 52966, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@carlostex
thanks, I will check out the bioses as I am building a XTIDE rev2 card

@robin4
seems like you found the mobo! thanks for that! I will test and hope it works

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8642 of 52966, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:
Got these freebies today: […]
Show full quote

Got these freebies today:

- a 8088 mobo with fpu and full ram (no idea about model or ram size - I assume 640kb) , the pcb states "10mhz Turbo Board" "SM-215B2"
edit: looks like this is a close match: http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/U/UN … ml#.VcpAxlVsFBc

WP_20150811_021_zpsq7v8g0yi.jpg

I have this exact board. Does what it says on the tin, an XT class board that runs at 10MHz. And yes, 640KB present.

Last edited by SquallStrife on 2015-08-12, 13:40. Edited 1 time in total.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 8643 of 52966, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
idspispopd wrote:

So it might be possible to use the MIDI synth in XP, just not the digital wave audio (which is not important since notebooks suitable for XP usually already contain an audio solution). I suppose this method should also work with Win98 (assuming that also contains a generic MPU-401 driver.
I suppose if XP could manage to assign an interrupt to the card it should work fine. I think I have even read a report that this works somewhere, but I can't find it any more. Wouldn't help much anyway since no special tricks were mentioned IIRC.

Don't think SCP-55 has digital output, just the synth. It shouldn't need an IRQ as such either, just port I/O. I assume the problems in XP are down to initialising and configuring the card.

Reply 8644 of 52966, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjt wrote:

Don't think SCP-55 has digital output, just the synth. It shouldn't need an IRQ as such either, just port I/O. I assume the problems in XP are down to initialising and configuring the card.

According to my research it has 2 digital input/output channels. (ie. wave I/O). Also, why would the MCB-3 have Mic and Line In connectors? Anyway that feature is not too important for me, useful maybe when Win98 don't support the integrated audio of the notebook. It would be interesting if the digital output was compatible with the RAP-10 because some DOS games support that card. But the RAP-10 needs DMA and I understand that PCMCIA (not CardBus) doesn't support DMA.
Regarding IRQ: MPU-401 has an IRQ so I would think that any compatible solution also needs one. Or is the IRQ only for intelligent mode? But then the RAP-10 also can't do intelligent mode and has an IRQ.

I agree with your conclusion, though.

Reply 8645 of 52966, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Traded an NES and some Atari 2600 games and controllers for these three apple computers. I had to replace the PSU on the Macintosh LC but that just arrived today so now it's fully functional once again, I've never had any macs before or even ever seen one in person until a few years ago so I'm pretty excited about owning these quirky little machines. They are pretty unique. 😁

1987 Apple IIgs:

s1730009_v01_by_mad_king_corduroy-d94yqmf.jpg

1990 Macintosh LC (Using a Unimac mac to VGA converter and a 1996 Sceptre VGA monitor I just picked up yesterday):

s1760029_v01_by_mad_king_corduroy-d95dj06.jpg

1992 Macintosh LC II (again using a mac to VGA converter and plugged into my main monitor)

s1730004_v01_by_mad_king_corduroy-d94yqmn.jpg

s1730003_v01_by_mad_king_corduroy-d94yqlr.jpg

In addition to all this I also got a copy of Windows 3.0 from a local computer shop for ten bucks and this ZEOS monitor (for free) that made a perfect replacement for my IBM PS/2's monitor which sadly was DOA when I got it and was scrapped.

s1750001_v01_by_mad_king_corduroy-d95bdsx.jpg

s1760020_v01_by_mad_king_corduroy-d95dfbd.jpg

s1760007_v01_by_mad_king_corduroy-d95e3tc.jpg

s1760008_v01_by_mad_king_corduroy-d95e3sz.jpg

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 8646 of 52966, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
King_Corduroy wrote:

Traded an NES and some Atari 2600 games and controllers for these three apple computers. I had to replace the PSU on the Macintosh LC but that just arrived today so now it's fully functional once again, I've never had any macs before or even ever seen one in person until a few years ago so I'm pretty excited about owning these quirky little machines. They are pretty unique. 😁

1987 Apple IIgs:

The IIGS is an interesting machine. After using it a while you'll wish Steve Jobs wasn't so obsessed with the Macintosh and hadn't killed it off. In some ways, it is a superior machine to the 128k Mac.

Reply 8647 of 52966, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Artex wrote:

It's HAMMER TIME!!! (Get it?!)

I couldn't resist locating a YouTube MC Hammer video after reading that. Boy does did that ever bring back the times.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 8648 of 52966, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:
Artex wrote:

It's HAMMER TIME!!! (Get it?!)

I couldn't resist locating a YouTube MC Hammer video after reading that. Boy does did that ever bring back the times.

I'm glad those times, or more fairly MC Hammer (and those pants) are over. 🤣

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 8650 of 52966, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HighTreason wrote:

To be honest, I think things are much worse today;

But.. he's so... HIP! 😵

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 8651 of 52966, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Artex wrote:
HighTreason wrote:

To be honest, I think things are much worse today;

But.. he's so... HIP! 😵

He's just a hipster. Mmmm....
Reminds me of some wierd punk/grunge/emo wanna-be.

This is way better if you ask me. (That chick 😜 )
EW.jpg

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 8652 of 52966, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Even the model looks bored oO
Where is this from? One of those crappy magazines inteded for teenage girls? I can't possibly imagine these photos having any use besides that.

Reply 8653 of 52966, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, so we're on about women now?
tumblr_mjxzczIi7d1s2ro6eo1_500.jpg

Much better. No idea where this is from, I'd rather have found a legit photo from the 70s or 80s, but couldn't... Suppose I could dig out old family photos - yeah, I'm from one of those families that never really fit in.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 8654 of 52966, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You wanna talk about weird styles, queensryche was always up there as strange and almost dark looking. 🤣

photo-03_.jpg

Reply 8655 of 52966, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:

You wanna talk about weird styles, queensryche was always up there as strange and almost dark looking. 🤣

DOn't care how they look - Jet City Woman & Silent Lucidity were staples during my grade-school years!

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 8656 of 52966, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lol Yeah I had the Rage for Order album when I was in HS. 🤣 Loved that band.

Reply 8658 of 52966, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Stop, please.. 8)

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb
486 DX2-66/32mb/8gb/tseng4000 2mb/SB 16+WB/GUS 1mb/LAPC-I
286 12mhz/4mb/512mb/Vga 1mb/SB 2.0+Covox
PegasosII G4 / Amiga 4000 / Amiga1200 / Amiga 600

Reply 8659 of 52966, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
easy_john wrote:

Stop, please.. 😎

Hammer time??? 😳

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011