Reply 8960 of 52976, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RacoonRider wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

Last week there were two auctions with video cards I wanted but didn't win on the Swedish auction site Tradera. I have a habit of throwing in a minimum bid of 1kr = ~0.1 euro on every other interesting auction a seller has if I'm going to bid on something and I think I'm going to win. I ended up winning lots of auctions with 1-6 items each for next to nothing, all shipped in one big box 😀.

Here are a sample of the items.

Random_crap.JPG

What is the triangular card in the photo?

I'm pretty sure that's a SCSI controller for some scanner.

That is probably correct, with luck it can be convinced to work with an external CD-ROM Drive or something other more useful.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 8961 of 52976, by Blurredman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I agree. I have a very similar triangular shaped card that is for a handheld scanner type (Epson I think). But don't have the scanner itself.

http://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/ 😊

Reply 8962 of 52976, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why do my posts keep turning up in the wrong thread? Maybe my browser, given it keeps randomly logging out. I'll test a few things and contact the staff if it is the site, but I really do suspect the browser.

Get ready for a surprise...

$_12.JPG
12MB Voodoo 2 (Diamond)

$_12.JPG
16MB Voodoo 3 AGP (STB)

And it came with a shitty one of these;
$_12.JPG

Should be interesting. If these work, I'll move them on when I've had my fun with them, maybe run a giveaway on YouTube but that is likely a few months to a year away at this stage as the house move is drawing ever nearer - in fact, it could be any day so I dare not start any lengthy projects right now.

These cards will of course show up in YouTube videos somewhere if they work, in fact, I have had ideas for them for a while and noticed these going at a good price. £28 + £14 shipping. Seems fair given it would cost nearly that much for a Voodoo 2 from some sellers. Not entirely sure I'll be using that sound card though... Then again, if I'm making a deliberately bad machine, yeah, the SBPCI is ideal.

I also have to buy a battery for my Nokia 1100 because the current one looks like a boil-in-a-bag and I would rather it didn't burn my dick off when being carried in my jeans pocket. Might also replace the cover because it is pretty beaten up. This is my daily phone.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 8963 of 52976, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Voodoo III should be a decent DOS card for non 3d games if you dont like it as a 3d card 😀

The Voodoo II is for nostalgia and for playing Unreal in situations where using a Voodoo III isnt possible.

That SB128 CD needs to be uploaded to VOGONS Vintage Driver Library if it isnt there already.

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2015-09-13, 20:50. Edited 1 time in total.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 8964 of 52976, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like my Voodoo3 3000. It has not given me any trouble, and after I fixed the timings Windows 98 looks mighty fine in 1080p. I used to use my Voodoo2 a lot, but after I got the Voodoo3 I haven't really been using it at all. In retrospect I'd should've bought a PCI Banshee than that Voodoo2, or a Voodoo1 instead (for those picky games that do not run on anything later).

Reply 8965 of 52976, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

I'm glad this thread is still alive, but I think it needs more pictures.

Ask and you shall receive!

But first a bit of backstory; about 2 months ago someone on craigslist posted a moving sale of sorts and was offering up several IBM ps/2 machines and some accessories all for free, if you paid shipping. Long story short he was moving from Missouri to Colorado, and I come to find out he was moving within 5 miles of where I lived. YAY! So I wanted to give a shout out to Grant for his generosity and to Google for paying for the shipping. ^.^

First picture we have the haul in its entirety. Keep in mind that is a 4'x8' table. (1.22M x 2.44M)
6Rtoe9Dt.jpg

Next up, we have the IBM model 8590 in its glory. Comes complete with hdd, 486sx-25, ram, ethernet, scsi

Bmy2zlct.jpgrjpdFYWt.jpg

This is a pretty machine! The PS/2 model 57. Caddy scsi cd, scsi hdd, some 486. I didn't go too deep into this one yet. The unit looks like it spent a bit of time outside and might have gotten wet. This will require a full tear down and rebuild.
gWKLBYHt.jpgNx2vBEnt.jpgg4tNXD4t.jpg

You aren't seeing double! There are actually two type 4869 5.25 floppy drives. I forgot to look and see if they were 360k or 1.2m drives, but I really don't care. I got two of them!
qa9dgVZt.jpg

Here we have the pinnacle microchannel machine, the Type 9595. This one comes with a 486-66, 2x scsi hdd, a smattering of ram, 2 scsi cards one being a 'standard' Adaptec, an intel Ethernet card, and a video card i'm not 100% familiar with.
V8VVMd3t.jpgwhKO4Z8t.jpged1Pr4ct.jpguJCXIi5t.jpg

This picture I took, because I found my self calling it: A pile of sexy.
XSQH1e3t.jpg

On to some accessories! Practically new in box was this... And well, it's a card that lets you have LOTS of serial ports. Expands up to 4 units. Sadly, will probably sit in a box forever. I can't even think of a good reason for ONE serial port right now.
sLDpFHqt.jpg

Ram expansion boards, godzilla video card, another scsi, 3com busmaster ethernet, ibm token ring and a random riser.
BIYdwJ9t.jpg

Good lord this video card is from SGI... Anyone know what it might be good for?
FcgPulMt.jpgStMXLk1t.jpg

NIB ethernet, fluke multimeter, ibm/plextor scsi cd drive, one of those damned special external scsi cables, and SIX ps/2 keyboard cables.
Qou5QQ9t.jpg

One internal, 1 external Syquest EZ135 disk drive, with 6 disks. I wonder what Jason's taste in music is.
DBQ4Zfut.jpg

An assortment of small hard drives, one looks like its from a model 30. One floppy with an angled sled, and a neat Tape drive! A cursory search for the drive on the internets reveals it uses standard Audio cassettes for media! I have two! This one has mountings for the IBM model 60 or 80.
Qzbnsfrt.jpg

This guy made whe whole trip worth it. A 1993 model M keyboard. A lot of extra lettering in green on a lot of keys. Anyone know why?
iLMWlykt.jpg2RS7hy5t.jpg

Two stylish monitors! One color, one monocrome. WOOT!
fid2SM1t.jpg

Finally, a "standard" sized tape drive. Same design as the previous, just with black plastic and a standard bezel. Also included is a 286 to 486 upgrade, and 1/2 of a set of bubble memory for a model 30-286.
ESeynwyt.jpg

So hows that for pictures?

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 8966 of 52976, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Skyscraper & alexanrs; Actually, they are to test once and for all if they are all they are cracked up to be. I will clear the slate (like I did with the V1 some months ago) and try again, testing them against competing cards and present my results on the interwebs. They will get a fair chance. I already wrote the script for the V1 part of that and I do actually point out the good things about it.

I doubt the V3 will be as good as a Matrox boards for DOS, but I never tested extensively back when they were around so it will be fun to find out. If it turns out to be better, then it might stay. Otherwise, it will be tested with various applications/games and then moved on to the next user to enjoy.

I will look into the CD. I have a few others somewhere for weird video cards. I also have Matrox versions of a few games, but I can't upload those for obvious legal reasons. Now I will have to try and remember how to set up the games I have for 3DFX.

Am I right in thinking I should perhaps fix the cooling on the V3? Sure those were prone to overheating. I guess it can't hurt to whack an active heatsink on there really. Have a dead GeForce 4 MX with a decent little heatsink and fan that should fit. Wonder if I can tap 5V from the card anywhere.

@Luckybob; My 1993 Model M also has some green writing, but not that much. Never knew they weren't usually green as I have never owned another one long enough to look that close. All I ever do is test, clean and then get rid to someone crazy enough to want their cartilage destroyed. Nice haul!

Last edited by HighTreason on 2015-09-13, 21:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8970 of 52976, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HighTreason wrote:
Why do my posts keep turning up in the wrong thread? Maybe my browser, given it keeps randomly logging out. I'll test a few thin […]
Show full quote

Why do my posts keep turning up in the wrong thread? Maybe my browser, given it keeps randomly logging out. I'll test a few things and contact the staff if it is the site, but I really do suspect the browser.

Get ready for a surprise...

$_12.JPG
12MB Voodoo 2 (Diamond)

$_12.JPG
16MB Voodoo 3 AGP (STB)

And it came with a shitty one of these;
$_12.JPG

Should be interesting. If these work, I'll move them on when I've had my fun with them, maybe run a giveaway on YouTube but that is likely a few months to a year away at this stage as the house move is drawing ever nearer - in fact, it could be any day so I dare not start any lengthy projects right now.

These cards will of course show up in YouTube videos somewhere if they work, in fact, I have had ideas for them for a while and noticed these going at a good price. £28 + £14 shipping. Seems fair given it would cost nearly that much for a Voodoo 2 from some sellers. Not entirely sure I'll be using that sound card though... Then again, if I'm making a deliberately bad machine, yeah, the SBPCI is ideal.

I also have to buy a battery for my Nokia 1100 because the current one looks like a boil-in-a-bag and I would rather it didn't burn my dick off when being carried in my jeans pocket. Might also replace the cover because it is pretty beaten up. This is my daily phone.

Good choice sir, perhaps you will agree on me, that V's are like good to have in the collection.
As a sort of historic piece of hardware, and good to have when those Glide-only games are to be played.
There are greater card's, for shure... They are just fun to have, and yeah...
They really look cool when SLI is in the build.

If you want to build some SS7 machine, and you discover that it has one of those crippeled voltage regulator on the AGP slot.
Then a simple V2-SLI is like a great thing to have. This is the best example I can give.
And why want such a MOBO? Well... When you collect for the sake of diversity in the Box-O'-Hardware.

All I can say. Keep those V's, and just play with them a couple of times a year. It's allways fun to play with stuff.
Then all that hardware one does like, just becomes more fun afterwards.

The PCI-128 is one of my favorite Creative PCI cards. It has decent midi-capability's (nearly SB-Live quality), and it is Stereo.
And as I recall. It was silent enough. Here I am thinking of stuff like you can hear noise in the speakers when the cd-drive is running.
And yeah... Not the greatest card. Yet for a Win-Only build, running Win-only games. It is a decent mid-range card for stereo.

It's just a shitty card for MS-Dos-6.22. Really shitty.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 8971 of 52976, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Owning one Voodoo has been fine as a display piece and for its historical value. I don't actually use my V1 though as when I played with it a few months back it was a pain in the ass to set up, broke my Windows install again and kept causing some FXMEMAP BSOD all the time.Could just be the Orchid V1, but the Techworks one behaves pretty much the same. I got it working but it was slower than hell in the games I wanted to play so I returned it to its box when I re-installed the OS. Also it doesn't matter what cable I use, the card wreaks havoc with signal quality or just has very poor quality in general. I suppose passing the signals through relays may be a contributing factor as the Techworks uses a solid state method and has slightly better image quality. To be fair, the image quality on the 3D Rage that replaced it isn't much better and the performance is only good enough to reach the realm of "playable" so the gains are marginal and aren't even reflected across the board - one or two games did seem to prefer running on the Voodoo.

I don't own any Glide Only games, never played one I liked actually. I don't like many games made after the mid 1990s and the ones I do either run software only or have options for other cards as well as Glide, rendering the whole Glide thing a bit pointless really.

Strangely, SLI is on the list of things I wish to address when I get around to making the video. SLI would be impossible in my configuration without sacrificing other features, it is also one thing I can't wipe off the record as a completely despicable idea.

No idea what I will test it with. Probably a K6-2 for the V3, probably a Pentium MMX for the V2. Chances are I'll just use a temporary hard drive with my K6 for this thing, or a CF card to which I can rapidly re-flash the clean Windows image after testing of each card is complete.

If I like them, I will keep them. If I don't, they're wasted staying here. In the latter case it only seems right to pass them on. If the V1 was anything to go by, no, past the initial novelty they probably won't be fun to play with, but I'm scrapping the memories I have of their problems in the past and giving them a clean slate. Perhaps they improved after the V1 and every setup I ran into was just dodgy. This is the same as how I do not use my Micronics 486 board and already have a potential buyer for it lined up, I don't use it so there's no point in wasting it while it works, but because it is an unusual board it was very fun to try it out for a few weeks and it yielded interesting results compared to regular motherboards.

Whatever happens, it will be fun trying them out and seeing what they are capable of versus the competing cards.

The SBPCI though. Ugh, no. Just no. I have never forgotten how every one of them I have ever had came with a disc which did not install the ECW files (Was the format ECW or have I just watched too much wrestling?) or missed them entirely and made the system perform like ass either way. Noisy signal and the Win9X drivers didn't work so the audio was distorted. Completely unusable. It felt much like an Ensoniq SoundScape with its balls cut off, and the SoundScape was a pretty crappy card to be honest. At least, in my opinion. If I end up seriously running a machine, that card will go in the box with around 30 of its brothers (most of which have never been opened) and use a YMF724 or something. I didn't like the SB Live either, which is odd, because I like the Audigy 2 and it isn't much different. I think part of the Live is from the stigma that it was a rip-off in its day. The Live Value was £70 and performed worse than the generic £5-£10 C-Media and Via cards of the day. Neither of them worked very well in Windows NT either and they have horrible latency if you want to use them for sequencing - a lot of cards have really crappy MIDI interfaces, but you don't usually notice until you try to make music with them.

Reply 8972 of 52976, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I feel those CPUs are slightly underpowered to really show the performance those cards can offer... even though I should not be one to speak, as I used my Voodoo2 on my MMX 200 and my V3 is currently on a K6-2. The V2 would probably be more at home in a Pentium 2 (or even the K6-2) and the V3 would be a better fit for a Pentium 3. Actually, the only reason I'm using a Voodoo3 in my K6-2 is because I could actually buy one nationally - and in a package with a bunch of other cards, including a Virge DX and a Matrox - whereas the only Banshee I saw for sale here sold faster than I could put it in my wishlist. At least one user here at Vogons claimed the Banshee was actually faster in a K6-2 than his Voodoo3, perhaps due to the drivers being better optimized for K6-2 processors.

Reply 8974 of 52976, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've never had any real problems with my 12MB Creative Voodoo 2. Then again, when I stopped being stupid and actually looked properly for the right driver (on a non-dying system to boot), I can't say I've had any issues with my Soundblaster Live! 5.1 card either.

Reply 8975 of 52976, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good lord this video card is from SGI... Anyone know what it might be good for?

Congrats. You are now one of the handful of people known to own an IrisVision (http://www.4crawler.com/IrisVision/index.shtml)
It's perhaps the first 3D accelerator made for a PC. There's pretty much no support for games included but there's support for some AutoDesk software and Windows, plus an API kit so you can code your own native applications or plugins for other software. I got a massive stack of disks and developer documentation for it. There's a few people on nekochan who know a bit more about it as well. Find yourself a 6091 monitor, slap the card in the 9595 with an XGA2 card and you will have the CAD machine every engineer would of dreamed of in the early 90's. I built a similar machine about a year ago but it used a different CPU complex upgraded to an OC'd 150mhz 5x86 and the machine just SCREAMED along until the power supply gave out. 😵
Also, that "bubble memory" SIMM is just IBM's early memory SIMM's that used SLT modules. Nice tape drive though. I'd kill to have something like that fitted in my model 80.

Anyways, I picked something up the other day. 😎

CGS_1067.jpg
CGS_1069.jpg

Decommissioning tag says it was used until 2014. WOWZA!

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 8977 of 52976, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
alexanrs wrote:

I feel those CPUs are slightly underpowered to really show the performance those cards can offer... even though I should not be one to speak, as I used my Voodoo2 on my MMX 200 and my V3 is currently on a K6-2. The V2 would probably be more at home in a Pentium 2 (or even the K6-2) and the V3 would be a better fit for a Pentium 3. Actually, the only reason I'm using a Voodoo3 in my K6-2 is because I could actually buy one nationally - and in a package with a bunch of other cards, including a Virge DX and a Matrox - whereas the only Banshee I saw for sale here sold faster than I could put it in my wishlist. At least one user here at Vogons claimed the Banshee was actually faster in a K6-2 than his Voodoo3, perhaps due to the drivers being better optimized for K6-2 processors.

My current home for my voodoo2 is my insane win98se build in the other room. Powered by a 2.5 ghz AthlonXP 400-FSB Barton chip with a mild overclock. Odd pairing I know, but it's still fun for win9x voodoo games. 😀

Reply 8978 of 52976, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CelGen wrote:

Anyways, I picked something up the other day. 😎
Decommissioning tag says it was used until 2014. WOWZA!

Nice stuff! What clothes are you going to wash in it? Where do you put the detergent?

Reply 8979 of 52976, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PeterLI wrote:

Nice PS/2 haul. Craigslist is a great resource!

Yeah.... Craigslist has a lot. Anyway. I feel it is not working good for Europe.
I tried to search for stuff in Denmark-only, and I constantly got results for the rest of Europe.

I think this is because of the way it is build. It does not counter that members of EU is countries and not states.
This is only a thought that I have regarding it's search engine. I do not think that Craigslist did counter in that.
If I am correct, then it has some major geographic and national flaw in it's filter-system.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011