VOGONS

Roland SCC-1A : how rare are they?

Topic actions

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From time to time, I see the Roland SCC-1 soundcard on ebay. Usually, they do not sell for excessive amounts.

However, I am curious about the SCC-1A card. Are they a lot rarer than the SCC-1 cards? When they appear on ebay, what is the very approximate selling price?

Thanks, Regards, Robert.

Reply 1 of 68, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, I don't know about SCC-1, but I just acquired an SW60XG (Yamaha's answer for SCC-1?) for US $70. I think it's quite expensive since I bought the same thing for AU $20 in 2005.

And I've been waiting for months for an SW60XG to show up. It seems daughter cards like DB50XG or DB60XG is easier to obtain.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 2 of 68, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice purchase!! 😁 I must admit, I'd never heard of that sound card, until now! I have the yamaha DB - I am guessing that it is roughly the same thing.

Actually, I just did an ebay search for your winning card, and someone in Oz is selling it, along with a box of other bits and pieces.

Speaking of ebay, I see another bidding frenzy has begun for another LAPC-I. Personally speaking, there's little point in getting involved, as they usually sell for way too much money.

Reply 3 of 68, by jthieme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My guess is most sellers really have no idea if it's 1A, I have a SCC-1 that I bought brand new way back when and looking had no idea what model mine was, The box just says SCC-1 but looking at the bar code it says SCC-1B. What's the difference between the 1, 1A and 1B?

Reply 4 of 68, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jthieme wrote:

What's the difference between the 1, 1A and 1B?

SCC-1: 317 instruments
SCC-1A: 354 instruments
SCC-1B: Same as SCC-1A, but with a different software package.

There are rumors about boards marked plain "SCC-1" with 354 instruments instead of 317.

Reply 5 of 68, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retro games 100 wrote:

Nice purchase!! 😁 I must admit, I'd never heard of that sound card, until now! I have the yamaha DB - I am guessing that it is roughly the same thing.

Yup, it is 😀 The sound is exactly the same. However, I opt for SW60XG because daughterboards and joysticks do not like each other.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 7 of 68, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, so I'm back, sorta.... 😁

'Marvin' my ass... but at least now it is an official hardware board.

- Anyways, about'em SCC-1's...
I surprisingly won an auction recently, having to pay the staggering amount of £6($12) for the shiny looking card... And yes, there were a bunch of other bidders (!)
(ok, so this one time I just bid for 'fun', as I already have one, but still surprised!)

Talking to the seller, seems like he had the pleasure of demantling a room full of roland-riddled computer!
Half of which had SCC-1's, the other half populated with the MPU-401/AT-SCD-15 combo.... No LAPC-I's, sadly... 😢

It seems he wanted to keep the SCD-15's(?) - selling the SCC-1's one by one.
But I managed to negotiate a deal to buy a handful or 2 of the (seemingly useless) MPU-401's for a song or 3...
(been searching for 1 of those for quite a while, so... yay me 😊 )
They look like they've never seen the light of day(i.e. shiny new look, no dust etc), apart from the outer metal part/ports - been sitting in those PC's for more than a decade, it seems... even a couple with almost running serial numbers, heh... 😜

Oh well now, how to install umpteen MPU-401's in a single computer, one wonders ?
The lack of IRC's comes to mind... hmm... and then we need a 486 with enough ISA slots.
(and looks like I have to get a 'couple' of more different daughtercards to match as well... ack, the problems one has... sigh)

- Sorry for the long-winding tale, but me just somewhat exited - finally a good deal on ebay!

Reply 8 of 68, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

".....having to pay the staggering amount of £6....."

Bollards! I offered that geezer 50 quid plus a tenner postage, not realising he had a whole room full of the bloody things!!

AND mine was covered in dust!!

What's this about SCD-15s? Do you mean the Roland daughterboards you "push on to" SoundBlasters (for instance)?

Reply 9 of 68, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes indeed, the very same Roland daughtercards... (SCD15/SBC55 or whatever)

So you are schmuck(pardon my italian etc) paying the BiN at £49.99 back in May ???
heh... sorry, way too funny 😅
(boy, this retro-world sure is a tiny one!)

As for you 'offered', well, I see there was a few sold after that, at £10 and £12 respectively, so.... but BiN is BiN, right ?

Though, if it is of any consolation, I got my first card(SCC-1) for free, via some messageboard.... oops 😜

PS: I paid 'only' £7 postage, including Intl signed for!
But, please don't hassle the seller about this, please 😊 ?

Last edited by bestemor on 2008-08-03, 17:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 68, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hmm, I sense some irony here, or.... ?
(sorry, sorry, sorry! but fun factor is just too high... )

But then again, you must have quite some budget for these things ?
I mean, that 'Gravis Ultrasound Plug and Play Pro' for instance ?
(US $130.00??!)

Reply 12 of 68, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣 that was two years ago and i hope you've already forgiven bestemor, Robert 😁

anyway, how much do you think it's worth it now, the SCC-1/A/B ?

looks like the days of SCC-1 giveaways are already long gone, isn't it...

Reply 13 of 68, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
retro games 100 wrote:

Yup, it is 😀 The sound is exactly the same. However, I opt for SW60XG because daughterboards and joysticks do not like each other.

Weird, I was worried about this but it does not seem to happen with a Gravis gamepad and a OPL3-SAx.
Maybe it just depends on the joystick more than the sound hardware?

Reply 14 of 68, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Only slightly OT, I found a video that sort of highlights why you really would have wanted a Roland card back in the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lRrE7ui8Hg

That music is fantastic considering the time frame of the games.

Reply 15 of 68, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

Only slightly OT, I found a video that sort of highlights why you really would have wanted a Roland card back in the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lRrE7ui8Hg

That music is fantastic considering the time frame of the games.

The link is not a very good example to demonstrate the musical qualities of the SCC-1 or SC-55, considering both games only support the MT-32/CM-32L/LAPC-I.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 17 of 68, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I prefer the external modules over the ISA cards. They are more flexible, I can use them in DosBOX machines with USB midi ports and they are easier to find...

The ISA cards often got chucked out with the PC, whereas the external boxes often got "saved" from the bin.

The SC-55 and SC-55 mk 2 have a nice LCD display, it's definitely worth getting 😁

Reply 18 of 68, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I prefer the external modules over the ISA cards. They are more flexible, I can use them in DosBOX machines with USB midi ports and they are easier to find...

The ISA cards often got chucked out with the PC, whereas the external boxes often got "saved" from the bin.

The SC-55 and SC-55 mk 2 have a nice LCD display, it's definitely worth getting 😁

yeah, there are some Roland MPU-401 boxes without the interface card on eBay, yet they're priced at more than $ 80! 🤐

SC55/MkII is nice indeed, but usually more expensive, especially for int'l shipping. want one too someday ...

Plus i haven't owned a real 'smart' MPU-401 interface yet for my MT-32 🙁

Reply 19 of 68, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes these MPU boxes make me sick 🤐

I even contacted a few sellers, they don't care...

But yea it makes sense, internal ISA cars are gone and lost forever, only the external breakout box remains...

I have 2 MPU401 ISA cards and a first generation MT-32 stashed away at my parents home in Austria. But I am in the process of getting some gear over here to Australia.

Also regarding cost...

When I was a kid during my summer holidays between primary and secondary school I did some work on a building site for 4 weeks. I got just enough money to buy a Sound Blaster (mono 1.5 version I believe)...

Wheras today you can buy pretty much any sound card you want for a fraction of that. MT-32 and LAPC-I cards cost a small fortune when they where in their prime. So the price isn't that important to me, they are still very cheap considering and will only keep going up in price as time goes on...

I bought 2 Creative Soundblaster Pro 2.0 on ebay for 20$ each. Now some think that's expensive, but 40 bucks is not a lot of money for the fun I will have playing with them..

A few tips regarding saving money are to buy in bulk to save shipping. E.g. look if a seller has other things that might interest you. From the US the items are often cheap, but the shipping is expensive. So just buy a lot of product and that will lower your average price.

The really cheap purchases are boxes of hardware. E.g. I got a box with a few boars, ram, cpus, video cards for 30 bucks. It works out to mabe 1 or 2 bucks per item which is very cheap...

And when you buy bulk you can always sell some of the other things and maybe even break even 😁