VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI sound card - I *think* it's a SoundBlaster 16 PCI card. It has a sticker on it which says CT4740. The chipset is ES1373.

I upgraded the Win98 VxD drivers to WDM drivers. I thought my upgrade had worked, because I tested out the sound card with dxdiag.exe and a few games, and all seemed well.

However, I tried a game called "Odyssey: The Search for Ulysses", and the sound was very bad - dropouts, crackles, missing sounds, etc.

I then uninstalled the WDM driver package, and reinstalled the VxD drivers, and that game ran OK again.

I noticed something else strange about that game. Occasionally, some of the graphics were "messed-up" looking. Underneath the feet of your player (where your shadow is), the graphics were all garish weird colours.

I can't decide what the problem is here. I think the game requires DirectX 6. Perhaps my graphics card (Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 Pro) is not fully DirectX 6 compatible? Perhaps my sound card is not fully DirectX 6 compatible?

Any ideas gratefully received, best regards, Robert.

PS: it's beneficial to use the WDM drivers over the VxD drivers because for one thing it completely removes the "legacy audio device" from Device Manager. Even if you disable the "legacy audio device", it still meddles with your autoexec.bat file by removing all instances of the SET BLASTER line, which is inconvenient if you have a real ISA SoundBlaster in your PC!

Reply 4 of 4, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ I disagree , maybe the thread is about a problem that finds a solutions 5-6 years later, it has happened... it would be a shame the thread got locked and the person with the answer does not bother to pm a moderator.
Plus it's not like we have necro'ed posts pop up all the time...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website