VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Something fast, and with good VESA support.

(I've got a Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 Pro, but I think it's only VBE2, and the drivers may also be a bit buggy.)

So, I was hoping to try out another S3 based chip graphics card...

Thanks a lot, best regards, Robert.

Reply 2 of 22, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Recommend the Hercules Dynamite S3 based cards....has fast memory...look nice and perform well 😁

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 4 of 22, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Re: "These are VBE 1.2 though"

I see. My aforementioned Stealth card is I think VBE 2, so I was hoping to get a S3 VBE3 card. (Perhaps they don't exist? Should I just make do with "Display Doctor"?)

Thanks a lot.

Reply 7 of 22, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is UNIVBE too.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 8 of 22, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ViRGE is VBE 1.2 too. There is UNIVBE and the S3VBE TSR to use though. Even without VESA 2.0, they are still more compatible than plenty of cards with 2.0 and 3.0.

Reply 9 of 22, by StickByDos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

ViRGE is VBE 1.2 too.

There are ViRGE with VBE 2.0
I have a S3 ViRGE/DX with Matsonic sticker on the rom chip and 4MB in 4 soldered chips

Type win to loose the power of your computer !

Reply 10 of 22, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Would you recommend using UNIVBE? Is it good (for either DOS and/or Win9x)?

Also, how about the S3VBE TSR? Actually, do you have a download link for this please?

Thanks a lot, from Robert.

Reply 11 of 22, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:

Also, how about the S3VBE TSR? Actually, do you have a download link for this please?

S3VBE (and lots of other good stuff) can be found in this wonderful thread.

Amigaz wrote:

Recommend the Hercules Dynamite S3 based cards....has fast memory...look nice and perform well 😁

You meant "Hercules Terminator", right? 😉
AFAIK the Tseng-based cards got the "Dynamite" label, whereas "Terminator" usually indicated a S3 chipset.

BTW, I have a Hercules Terminator/Video (S3 Trio64V+) which has a really bad VGA signal (fuzzy picture above 800x600). Could be a defective card though.
My "ExpertColor" Trio64V+ produces a sharp picture up to 1280x1024.

Reply 12 of 22, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

5u3: in how many bits of colours ? I am just checking something , because what I am after is some cool idea, which is based on some old forum thread. On some other forum, which I will post if I get the bit depth .

Anyway here is the thread, it is named "Modern 2D console", the only thing that killed the thread was a blatant fucking moron, who gave it some serious negative karma. But it was an awesome thread.

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13490

Reply 13 of 22, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WolverineDK wrote:

5u3: in how many bits of colours?

Most S3 Trio cards have 2 MB memory, that results in the following bit depths:

24bit (Truecolor) up to 800x600
16bit (Hicolor) up to 1024x768
8bit (256 colors) up to 1600x1200

Reply 14 of 22, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WolverineDK wrote:

Decent thread, but that dude who talked endlessly abt the 'portable dc' idea was a off the planet.

Meanwhile the www.beaglebox.com would be a great solution for an open portable device and it can do (relatively simple) 3D too. It's also pretty darn cheap, has a great programmer's background and is easily powered from 5v source.

Reply 15 of 22, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

dh4rm4, there was a reason why I went through the roof with him. Since I believe we both are talking about ShadowLayer. The other people in the thread had some good ideas, I would say my posts made some sense too. At least I was trying to think in some constructive way when it came to the idea of a modern 2D console.

Reply 17 of 22, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

retro games 100: sorry for hijacking your forum thread just a tiny bit. But it was because I was asking about the bit depth, and it got me thinking back in time.

Reply 19 of 22, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OP: I went through this same exercise. See old thread here:
Best DOS video card?

Even though I decided upon the Matrox G400 card then, which I still have, I changed it over to a Voodoo 3 3000. It has great 2D quality (like the Matrox), fast DOS support and VBE 3.0. There are some very old games that don't work with it, but those usually required a specific card like S3, Tseng, Paradise, etc if they don't have VESA support. Any game that old can run in DOSBox, so to me a good *later* mode DOS machine + Win98 was more important.

If all you care about is DOS, DOS and DOS, then the S3 Trio64 or Virge variants were the best. If that's *too* old for you, or you must have an AGP card over PCI, then the Voodoo 3, 4 or 5's are good, and have Win9x drivers to boot. If you must have Win 3.1, then the S3 or the Matrox G400 may be a good choice. If you are looking for a 486 era DOS machine with ISA or VLB, then the Tseng ET4000 series were very good. I owned several Diamond Speedstars back then.

Sorry, I know others will recommend an early model NVidia board, but I cannot. Fast, but worst clarity of any board to date that I have ever used. ATI's were equally problematic. Funny how times have changed.