VOGONS

First post, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm thinking of getting one of these cards since I remember the superb sound quality it had, quality and good support in games.
It has a wavetable header but my question is...does it have SB compatability in pure DOS too like the Diamond Monster MX300?

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 1 of 12, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No it does not. I have one.

I use it as a "host" for my Roland daughterboard in Windows XP so I can play midi music, but it does not have DOS or SB compatibility. Your best bet for that is the Aureal boards.

Reply 2 of 12, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
valnar wrote:

No it does not. I have one.

I use it as a "host" for my Roland daughterboard in Windows XP so I can play midi music, but it does not have DOS or SB compatibility. Your best bet for that is the Aureal boards.

oh, bummer...

Thanks for the info

Reply 3 of 12, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It was my sound card of choice for my XP box for years. I don't play games much; I just needed good sound and something to hold my Roland SCD-15. AFAIK, it was the last "modern" card to have a waveblaster header. No newer card has one, and since Vista doesn't support an MPU-401, it might as well be the last. Use XP for as long as you can.

Reply 4 of 12, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
valnar wrote:

It was my sound card of choice for my XP box for years. I don't play games much; I just needed good sound and something to hold my Roland SCD-15. AFAIK, it was the last "modern" card to have a waveblaster header. No newer card has one, and since Vista doesn't support an MPU-401, it might as well be the last. Use XP for as long as you can.

Me too....it was installed in a DELL PC I used alot, loved the card...it was perfect for the games back then in the early 2000

For me the wavetable is useless in Windows 😒

Reply 6 of 12, by Moogle!

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
valnar wrote:

*buzzer*

Wrong! Best buy has sold a Via Envy card since then that has a wavetable header. No gameport or SB, but it does have optical out.

Reply 7 of 12, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
valnar wrote:

I believe you are another candidate for ye olde retro gaming machine.
😀 😀 😀

Yep, that's me 😁

For "later" stuff I use my K6-3+ box

Reply 8 of 12, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Moogle! wrote:
valnar wrote:

*buzzer*

Wrong! Best buy has sold a Via Envy card since then that has a wavetable header. No gameport or SB, but it does have optical out.

That Dynex? Oh, I missed one. Feel smart now, huh?

Reply 9 of 12, by aleksej

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Santa Cruz program folder contains driver for pure DOS named tbcdos.exe
I didn't test it work since all time use my santa cruz along with real isa SB card in one system.

Reply 10 of 12, by Moogle!

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
valnar wrote:
Moogle! wrote:
valnar wrote:

*buzzer*

That Dynex? Oh, I missed one. Feel smart now, huh?

😁 I feel greatly superior to you in ever manner now. :p

It seems to me there was one other PCI card with wavetable, though.

Reply 11 of 12, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aleksej wrote:

Santa Cruz program folder contains driver for pure DOS named tbcdos.exe
I didn't test it work since all time use my santa cruz along with real isa SB card in one system.

I am actually typing this from a machine with a TB SAnta Cruz I got recently..same machine I use to love back then which came standard with the Santa Cruz...a Dell Dimension 8200...rambus memory and all...Intel 850E chipset..ahhh those were the days hehe

btw.. cannot find the file you mention..look here:

6b495471880039.gif

9bdab271880217.gif