VOGONS

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is a chance that some serial->ps2 mice adaptors will be made. Those are REAL microcontrolled ones, the mouse would not have to support the serial protocol, just ps2/usb like all current ones. Those adaptors will have inside a PIC microcontroller to do the transparent protocol conversion. Who would be interested in these?

Reply 1 of 29, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Has Elbox went into old PC hardware addons now also? 😀

I'm interested!

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 2 of 29, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

not Elbox amigo, but the final thing will be similar to cocolino (actually same appearence) but not that expensive

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 29, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

not Elbox amigo, but the final thing will be similar to cocolino (actually same appearence) but not that expensive

Cool 😎

Sign me up for one, amigo

Reply 5 of 29, by StickByDos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Will it support wheel mouse
I would be interested (maybe for 2)

It's hard to find serial mice which have more than two button and I don't know if there are any optical mouse which support serial protocol

Type win to loose the power of your computer !

Reply 6 of 29, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

There is a chance that some serial->ps2 mice adaptors will be made. Those are REAL microcontrolled ones,

You mean not the usual serial to PS2 mouse adapter?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 7 of 29, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
keropi wrote:

There is a chance that some serial->ps2 mice adaptors will be made. Those are REAL microcontrolled ones,

Nope, read Keropi's post and you will know the thruth 😁

Reply 8 of 29, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
keropi wrote:

ofcourse NOT these! those are useless, the mouse has to support serial mode for those simple re-wire adaptors to work.
The ones I talk have inside a chip to translate serial->ps2 and vice versa.

Reply 10 of 29, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

no , shipping would be cheap, it is a very small item!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 13 of 29, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

the ones I talk about will cost half and maybe less...

Reply 14 of 29, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bumping this after 3 years or so!

Was there ever any more info about this? I'm keen for an adaptor (two even!), but I don't like the price of the Vetra ones,

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 15 of 29, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Keropi: You say the Microcontroller can convert in both directions. Are there also switchable boxes with 4 connectors that are able to convert PS/2 Mouse to Serial and Serial Mouse to PS/2 ?
Are there small cables extensions for the computer connection side included with the converter boxes?

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 16 of 29, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Count me in too! 😀

I prefer to use a ps/2 optical mouse connected to that serial adapter, just for the sake of maintenance-free usage (no need to take care of the mouse ball and the roller pins inside). My 486 and Pentium 133 machines still use Logitech 3-button serial mice.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 17 of 29, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

wow!
well, after 3 years I must admit I have only made 1 converter for a friend...

@elianda:
the controller sits in the middle of the serial-ps2 protocols and translates. it has to do 2-way translations like all adapters of this kind, the serial both sends and receives data from the ps2 mouse and the ps2 mouse both sends and receives data from the serial interface... I am not sure if it will work in the situation you described.

the adapter I made was like this: I took one of these ps2-mouse brackets that old AT boards used, soldered a small pcb with the pic on the ps2 mouse header and used a serial cable to make the connection on the mobo. In other words all u had to do was mount the bracket with the mouse plug and insert a normal serial cable on the mobo header...

I'll see if I can make more, need to research this a little 😀

Reply 18 of 29, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Could you perhaps give me the schematics, parts list, and PIC source code? I could probably make the device myself, and save you a bit of time and effort!

I've just picked up a nice server-grade KVM switch for my retro setup, but I still have to use my homebrew mechanical switch for sharing my crappy old serial mouse.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 19 of 29, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would be interested to test out your scheme. I second the motion to send along schematics and documentation for this conversion.

For me, the ideal 486 must have a PS/2 mouse. So if this conversion works well, it will open the door to a lot more 486 systems.

The Vetra Systems conversion box isn't that great. I own 2 varieties of them. The tracking quality isn't so smooth, but it is usable.

Could you let us know how the quality of the mouse tracking was? Was it indistinguishable from a system with native PS/2 support?

Another means of getting PS/2 working on 486 boards is to wire up the appropriate pins on the Southbridge chipset. I've noticed recently that on PS/2-enabled 486 motherboards, the pins head on over to the southbridge. Some 486 boards, which have the same chipset as the PS/2-enabled motherboards, do not, for whatever reason, have PS/2 support. So this solution would be to wire up the appripriate PS/2 pins and write a custom BIOS update to support PS/2.

If you happen to have a 486 motherborad with an available PCI slot, you could always use the USB-to-PS/2 converters, but in my opinion, you really need a 4-slot PCI motherboard to have an extra slot (10/100, SCSI, and graphics are in the other slots). I have tested USB mice in Windows NT 4.0 and they work fine.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.