VOGONS

Reply 20 of 29, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am having a hard time locating my project files... 🙁
IIRC you could not tell a difference between the adaptor and a real ps2 mouseport... only tested in DOS though not fancy setups...
I'll keep searching to provide the files so you can build your own devices

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 21 of 29, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Chiming in here... any update?

My new Dual Socket 7 board has PS2, so now only my 486 depends on a serial mouse. This adaptor would bring my setup to perfection!

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 22 of 29, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

sadly I haven't found my files, perhaps you can use this project: http://www.gedanken.demon.co.uk/rs232-converters/ps2.html

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 23 of 29, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:

sadly I haven't found my files, perhaps you can use this project: http://www.gedanken.demon.co.uk/rs232-converters/ps2.html

Did your design also use a microcontroller (PIC)? I e-mailed the guy about the tracking quality of the mouse pointer but he hasn't replied yet. The easiest way is probably to buy the PICkit1 to program the PIC. I've added it to the list for the next time I put in an IC order. Digikey sells 'em for $36 each. I'd hate to go through the effort to replicate this guy's work only to find out the tracking quality is as bad as the vetra systems units.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 24 of 29, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yes it used a pic... it will be fine, look on the amiga->ps2 adapters, they use a pic too and I am using them since ages! no problems whatsoever in movement
I had a 2nd run on my files, I fear the .hex was lost along with other stuff when a HHD died on me... 🙁
I am sorry I cannot be of much help... and I don't even remember where I got the hex on the 1st place 😖 to grab it again... 🙁

Reply 26 of 29, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

nope, it's completely lost and I have failed to find an alternative....

Reply 27 of 29, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The only thing in existence that seems to work nicely is this "RARITAN" thing that keropi found:

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Reply 28 of 29, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SquallStrife wrote:

The only thing in existence that seems to work nicely is this "RARITAN" thing that keropi found:

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Did you see my comment a little further down in that thread?

feipoa wrote:

You will be very disappointed with the mouse tracking lag in Windows. It was very difficult to navigate any menus in Win2k. It gets worse at higher resolutions. The issue is with an initial acceleration lag of maybe half a second, so you end up over-shooting all the menus unless you track very slowly. I found even the Vetra Sytems converter to be more tolerable than this one, but find a standard serial mouse much better than both these units. Keropi tested his unit in DOS only, so if that's all you intend to use, then this converter might be for you.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 29 of 29, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I did, but the systems I use for Windows have PS/2. That's good information though.

It's a shame the Vetra one is so expensive.