VOGONS

First post, by Moogle!

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I was at the thrift store today and I spot an old at style Desktop case. It was unremarkable, had both 5.25 and 3.5 inch floppy drives, and nothing else. Had a turbo button, no speed display. Nothing in the back suggested anything to get excited about. I couldn't open it, so I decided just to plug it in for shits and giggles, expecting some unexciting 386. It gave me a scrambled scrren the first time, second time, got to the post. Noted the words 486 PCI on the boot screen, and get a bit excited, but then see "UMC", which I've had bad experiances with. I left the thrift store to go take care of other business, but decided to go ahead and bite. So I get it home and get the case off and was shocked. It has 4PCI and 4ISA. It had an AM5x86 in it with 256K cache. It was actually jumpered correctly for FSB, type, and voltage, and all the jumpers were labled in clear white silk screen. I've since gotten the CPU fan to come back alive, and have discovered it accepts EDO ram, which I have 64MB worth of. I have learned the board is a Shuttle HOT-433, (one of the the 1-3 versions, the forth is different)

The only real fly in the ointment is the RTC is soldered directly to the board. It has traces for a battery and crystals, but I'm not sure if I can put them on. The HDD that came with it is also dead. I'm not sure if I have a flashable BIOS, and after hosing my $50 Soyo, I'm not taking any chances.

I plan to find and put in the 4 16MB EDO simms and I'm going to put one of my AWE32's and my Diamond Stealth 3D, the best card I have 3.x drivers for. It will have DOS 6.22 + 3.11 with WorkGroups. It shall be..beautiful....

I cannot beleive this thing just turned up. Coupled with the 22" Mitsubishi monitor I got the other day for 55 bucks, things are looking up, after all the heartache and wasted money I've spent trying to get a screaming 486 system, dealing with the Deskpro, the QDI, the Soyo, the M919, the various non working add on cards.

Reply 1 of 4, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Congratulations, nice find!

If you post a picture of the RTC/traces, maybe someone can give tips on how to connect a new battery.

I like the plans you have with this system. Keep us updated!

Reply 3 of 4, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice find.
Had one of these boards myself before it died...was my first PCI socket 3 motherboard
Mine had a header for connecting an external cmos battery..have you checked if yours has it too?

These UM8881 chipset motherboards are very solid but the PCI performance sucks

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 4 of 4, by Moogle!

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I already mentioned that it did, but I'm not worried about that right now. :p

After a few attempts, I successfully manage to dig up a compatible chip and hotflash it with the latest AMI BIOS (overwrote a Phoenix BIOS, hahaha). I'm looking into the possiblity of putting 512K cache on the board using the cache and tag chip from the QDI and Soyo (the board has two banks, and supports a total of 1MB). I also dug out a tall AT case I was initially going to scrap down and toss, but I decided to keep it. I even manage to find all the parts to it, and if you know me and just how slobby I am, that's saying something.

I've noted that it will not seem to ackknowledge a CD drive connect to its IDE ports. 🙁

GADDMANIT.

I have 4 dead PCI video cards. Why does all my shit randomly die?