VOGONS


First post, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is the ASUS PVI-486AP4 486 motherboard any good?

I'm asking, because this guy has 10 for sale.... NEW IN BOX. 😮
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem … em=260316656520

How does this differ in quality from the much talked about, and praised Asus PVI-486SP3? There is the SiS vs Intel chipset difference, but what does that mean in terms of reliability or stability? (or desirability) 😀

Reply 1 of 17, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have it. I don't like it. Get the PVI-486SP3 instead.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 3 of 17, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I have it. I don't like it. Get the PVI-486SP3 instead.

Agree, it's PCI performance sucks and so does the CPU support

1607787.png

1607975.png

Reply 5 of 17, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Amigaz wrote:
Moogle! wrote:

I want the FIC PIO-3.

I got the PIO-2 model but I failed BIOS flash atempt made it useless 😜

No recovery mode? I experienced a flash failure on a Pentium II motherboard some time ago, but I managed to start it with an old ISA graphic card and it kindly asked for a floppy with the BIOS image.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 6 of 17, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GL1zdA wrote:
Amigaz wrote:
Moogle! wrote:

I want the FIC PIO-3.

I got the PIO-2 model but I failed BIOS flash atempt made it useless 😜

No recovery mode? I experienced a flash failure on a Pentium II motherboard some time ago, but I managed to start it with an old ISA graphic card and it kindly asked for a floppy with the BIOS image.

Nope, we're talking old hardware here 😉 that feature you're describing was hardly invented in the mid 90's
I'm going to flash the BIOS in a an eprom program thingie I've bought or hire biosflash.de but I haven't come around doing it yet
I'm very curious to see how the VIA chipset PCI performance is compared to the SiS, ALi, Intel and UMC chipset I've tried so far...i guess it can't be worse than the UM8881 or Inte chipset 😵

1607787.png

1607975.png

Reply 7 of 17, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Amigaz wrote:

I'm going to flash the BIOS in a an eprom program thingie I've bought or hire biosflash.de but I haven't come around doing it yet
I'm very curious to see how the VIA chipset PCI performance is compared to the SiS, ALi, Intel and UMC chipset I've tried so far...i guess it can't be worse than the UM8881 or Inte chipset 😵

I flashed once a BIOS by powering on a working motherboard and booting a MS-DOS system floppy with a flasher, pulling out the working BIOS, putting in a bricked one and flashing it. Then I put it back into its maiboard and it worked! 😀 There aren't many BIOS socket types, so it wouldn't be hard to find a board for flashing, unless the BIOS is soldered to the MB.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 8 of 17, by Moogle!

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Well, sometimes you can use the mentioned floppy trick, and sometimes you can also try using another board to hotflash the bios. I had to do this to update the Shuttle, which initally had an Eeprom in the socket, and wouldn't accept anything.

Reply 12 of 17, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My two biggest gripes are the lack of integrated multi I/O, and the lousy PCI performance. Poor CPU compatibility doesn't help much either.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 13 of 17, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

My two biggest gripes are the lack of integrated multi I/O, and the lousy PCI performance. Poor CPU compatibility doesn't help much either.

And the PVI-486SP3 doesn't have these issues?

Reply 14 of 17, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
valnar wrote:
Anonymous Coward wrote:

My two biggest gripes are the lack of integrated multi I/O, and the lousy PCI performance. Poor CPU compatibility doesn't help much either.

And the PVI-486SP3 doesn't have these issues?

Nope

The PCI performance is slightly better than the UM8881 chipset
The Intel chipset on Asus AP4 board is the worst I've tried so far

1607787.png

1607975.png

Reply 16 of 17, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GL1zdA wrote:
Amigaz wrote:

The Intel chipset on Asus AP4 board is the worst I've tried so far

Which one is it?

uumm...Intel Aries

They used Intel Saturn on the Asus 486 PCI SP3G

1607787.png

1607975.png

Reply 17 of 17, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

REgarding the Intel 486 chipsets I tested my Asus PCI 486SP3G motherboard for the time this weekend.
It has Intel Saturn II chipset, I tested it with an Hercules Terminator 3D S3 Virge DX card which isn't exactly the speediest card in DOS and got 9.4fps in pcplayer benchmark.
It also works with an AMD 5x86 @133mhz, according to the benchmarks I don't get as much performance with it as on my ECS UM8881 mobo but it's very close 😀
I'm going to try a Tseng ET6000 and Ark PV2000 chipset gfx next and see what I get... 😀

1607787.png

1607975.png