VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm really worried about something. I was hoping I could remove an old (AT style) 486 motherboard, and put it inside a brand new (ATX style) case, and use all new modern components with it. Can it be done?

ATX PSU: use an AT to ATX PSU converter adapter. Example: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ATX-to-AT-power-supply- … A1%7C240%3A1318. (Please note, I don't know whether this works)

IDE hard drive: use a new PCI IDE controller card, then attach a modern HDD to it.
(SCSI hard drive: use a new PCI SCSI controller card - same idea as above)

For a VLB/ISA system, I don't know what HDDs you can attach to these older controller cards - can you attach modern HDDs to them? (This concerns me ATM.)

Keyboard: use a converter adapter. Example: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-PS2-Female-to-AT-Ma … A1%7C240%3A1318

Mouse: use a converter adapter. Example: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/15CM-9-PIN-SERIAL-DB9-T … A1%7C240%3A1318

Case: use typical workman's tools (hacksaw, etc) to cut any necessary holes, etc!

CDROM drive: any one will do. (I think!) I guess you could use some kind of (IDE or SCSI) controller card (PCI or VLB), if you didn't want to attach it directly to a sound card for instance.

Floppy drive: any one will do!

If you think some of these ideas may fail, please could you let me know. Thanks!!!

Reply 1 of 6, by Moogle!

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think you can still put a baby AT motherboard in any mid tower case you can buy these days (it has to have all the exapnsion slots, not a minitower, which only has four, and you won't have a proper I/O shield). The hard switch is the only thing you probably won't be able to mount in the case, though some older ATX cases let you do this. What you might be able to do is leave the hard switch in the on position, and if the board supports some kind of hibernation state or some such, (usually labled 'green sw'). You could still wire the reset, power, and HDD LEDs. You will have to determin which pins of the turbo switch close the circuit, and put a jumper on them. (You won't need the turbo LED).

Reply 2 of 6, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Forgive me for discouraging you but, though your idea is quite interesting and adventurous, there are some potential drawbacks :

1. - The DIN Keyboard Problem : As you know AT specification require the position of the keyboard connector at the fixed position. ATX motherboards on the other hand can have the PS/2 ports at any place which is complemented by the I/O plate. AFAIK, the ATX style casing will severely block your keyboard connector area.
Even when you want to use the DIN-to-PS/2 keyboard adapter, this will further block the space. It's impossible to fix the motherboard.
Unless, of course, you want to drill a hole at the back of the casing to allow clear view of the DIN connector. (I have the DIN to PS/2 keyboard adapter. Works like charm! 😀)

2. - The Serial-to-PS/2 mouse adapter. The Serial Mouse must be compatible to be able to work in PS/2 mode too. Otherwise it will not work.

You can circumvent this by using a PS/2 connector cable with the PS/2 port on a bracket, if the 486 mobo has the PS/2 mouse connector pins. Otherwise, you can simply use a serial mouse. This will totally eliminate any potential issues.
Most of the old mobos come with the serial ports on a bracket anyway. (At least those that have the the serial/parallel connectors on-board.)

But the number one reason I prefer not to do it is (drum roll please...)... The Turbo Button and the LED!!!. You'll be compromising these when you get an ATX case with the ATX PSU. (Unless of course, you want to somehow fix the LED on the case). But I still can't figure out how you'll tackle the Turbo button issue, though.

Reply 3 of 6, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Whoa! There are just so many factors that one needs to appreciate when building (retro) systems! Without the excellent advice on Vogons, I just wouldn't know where to start!! 😀

Reply 4 of 6, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Remember than new SCSI cards might now work with PCI 2.0 which is the PCI standard on all 486 motherboards

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 5 of 6, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Amigaz wrote:

Remember than new SCSI cards might now work with PCI 2.0 which is the PCI standard on all 486 motherboards

Please may I request clarification...did you mean:

"Remember that new SCSI cards might not work with PCI 2.0 which is the PCI standard on all 486 motherboards"

Thanks a lot!

Reply 6 of 6, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:
Please may I request clarification...did you mean: […]
Show full quote
Amigaz wrote:

Please may I request clarification...did you mean:

"Remember that new SCSI cards might not work with PCI 2.0 which is the PCI standard on all 486 motherboards"

Thanks a lot!

🤣, yeah
I blame my german keyboard I use here 😜

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327