VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Guys, this seller has over 10 of them in stock!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MSI-MS5169-SOCKET-7-ATX … A1%7C240%3A1318

It's ATX, socket 7, and AGP!

What do you think? Should I go for it? (If you think it's a good board, I may pick up a couple of them.)

Please note: I am looking for a Pentium I board, something around the 100 - 166 speed, maybe even a little faster perhaps (200?), who knows...

Thank you very much for any words of wisdom!! 😁

Reply 1 of 31, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

blackmoreit!!

Sigh. I like what they sell (i've even bought a thing or two from them), but ...but ... just look at the site!!

Just ONE,SINGLE,UN,UNO,I,1. line of what they sell, but HUNNDREDS of lines of about their policies and bla,bla,bla! Puts me off whenever I reach their site while following an item.

Otherwise, they're good to deal with.Seriously.

Woops, coming back to the topic, see here for a short review. Well, sort of.

Reply 2 of 31, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I know exactly what you mean, their descriptions are disappointing. Quite often they provide no photo too. However, I have bought quite a few things from them, because they are one of the major retro equipment sellers in the UK.

I did see that mini review that you provided a link for, and as a result of it, I have emailed them to ask what revision number the mobo is. Hopefully it's something like revision 4, or some nice big number! (Hope it isn't something like revision 1.0A 🤣

Reply 5 of 31, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

According to this page you'll need a revision newer than 2.1 to be able to run the latest and greatest Super-Socket7 CPUs (e.g.: K6-3+), but older chips (Pentium, K6-2) will run just fine.

Reply 6 of 31, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ah, it is an ALi based mobo... typical layout too!
if you want a good mobo for your K6 then get one! never had a single problem with those mobos, infact I use a similar gigabyte one...
My K6-II machine

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 9 of 31, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retro games 100 wrote:
I bought one. :happy: ...or two! :lol: […]
Show full quote

I bought one. 😀 ...or two! 🤣

And I found a review of it [MSI 5169 mobo] here -

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/labs/2739/msi-ms5169.html

They say it's good, which is good news.

So,uh...which revision is it? I might get one too.. 😁

Reply 10 of 31, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:

I'll let you know as soon as it arrives! 😀 Ordered yesterday, I hope I'll receive their package tomorrow (thurs 11 dec).

Incidentally, the seller (you know who!!) wasn't able to assure me about the revision numbers, so I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed.

Oh and incidentally, my ct3980 package has just arrived. whoa, you should see the postage stamps this guy has used on the box! I must take a photo and upload it, it looks cool! Haven't opened the box yet, still eating my cornflakes! [retro yawns, wipes sleep from eyes] 🤣

Reply 11 of 31, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:

3 x rev 4 😀
1 x rev 2 😜

I figured that one of them is likely to be broken on arrival, and one of them is likely to be the wrong revision number, leaving me 2 "good ones". So I got 4. 🤣

Reply 12 of 31, by rumbadumba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote:

ah, it is an ALi based mobo... typical layout too!
if you want a good mobo for your K6 then get one! never had a single problem with those mobos, infact I use a similar gigabyte one...
My K6-II machine

I can second that, got a GA5AX as well, absolutely reliable so far.

Unlike a couple of FIC PA-2013's I used when I was first building a retro-box. The hours I spent trying to diagnose random lock-ups... Also used a Soyo 5EMA+ which has the same MVP3 chipset as the PA-2013, and that never had problems, solid as a rock.

Reply 13 of 31, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retro games 100 wrote:

I figured that one of them is likely to be broken on arrival, and one of them is likely to be the wrong revision number, leaving me 2 "good ones". So I got 4. 🤣

WHOA!!! 4 boards!!! 😳

Anyway, I've ordered one too. Though it's a gamble when it comes to the revision number, other factors favour my interest :

1.) Trusted Seller, who sells at Reasonable Prices. (Although they have a horrible explanation of what they sell! : 😜 )

2.)Reasonably Good Motherboard.

3.)Only few left. Thanks to retro games 100!! 😁

(However, I ordered before I saw this latest post. 😎 )

Reply 14 of 31, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:

WHOA!!! 4 boards!!! 😳

I went in to "vacuum cleaner mode". 🤣

Malik wrote:

3.)Only few left. Thanks to retro games 100!! 😁

Six left - plenty! 😁

Edit: make that 4 now. (Wasn't me, I assure you, I was just looking back to see how quickly the others would go.)

Reply 15 of 31, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Rright... how about leaving some for the rest of us then....?

😁

(was watching/contemplating 250343674113, and waddayouknow - 'someone' just swept in and took that one as well.... so, how many socket7 is it now, me wonders... 🙄 )

Reply 16 of 31, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

try item number 200268378296.

good seller (got a graphics card from him), price is ok (you can also make a cheaper offer), and it's a rev 4 board.

advertised as "...excellent condition, fully guaranteed to be in working condition upon receipt."

ships worldwide (he also does cheaper shipping rates than advertised), and takes paypal.

Reply 17 of 31, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm still awaiting my board. Suppose to arrive today. Just entered my office. And the first thing I do is checking up in Vogons!!! 😁
(EDIT:Hands together facing the heaven praying for a new revision motherboard at the same time too!! 🤑)

Last edited by Malik on 2008-12-17, 00:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 18 of 31, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:

Just entered my office. And the first thing I do is checking up in Vogons!!! 😁

Sounds to me like you've got your priorities absolutely spot on. Well done! 😀

Reply 19 of 31, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:

(EDIT:Hands together facing the heaven praying for a new revision motherboard at the same time too!! 🤑)

I'm really hoping you got a rev 4 board too! As well as that other rev 4 board I mentioned in another very recent post (please see above), there's also this German seller: "c-b-s-d" who seems to have several of these boards going (although the rev number isn't mentioned.) He takes paypal, but worldwide shipping isn't mentioned. It's worth asking though! 😀