VOGONS

First post, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, taking a semi-annual test of my first ever computer, a P100 (SIS P54C mboard etc, early 1995), I'm getting a "Primary HDC failure Press F1 to RESUME" message, and then it tries to boot from the floppy if I 'F1'...
Never failed before 😢

- Any suggestions to which PCI IDE controllers (or multi-I/O cards) that will work on such a machine, with no need for any drivers etc (DOS/Win311) ?
Will any new(or old used) card do, I wonder ?

As far as I can see, the current (faulty?) card is only used for a single IDE connection, so I guess there's no need for any multi, but...

I DO notice there's also an ISA floppy controller card present*, which has a vacant HD connector on it as well(it's actually a multi-I/O card).
But I rather use a PCI card, as that'd be faster...
(*: which explains why the FDD is found)

And I've tested the HDD on another PC, no problems, and even changed to a brand new IDE cable. And I know the Mboard is good, at least I believe so since I actually get it to POST...
Which only leaves the controller card, right ? Why it would suddenly fail after years of sleep, is a mystery though... 😐

(all parts are original from when I ordered it assembled way back when, never changed anything apart from replacing the SB 2x(!) CD-player and adding some memory)

Reply 2 of 4, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> the current (faulty?) card is only used for a single IDE connection
> I DO notice there's also an ISA floppy controller card present*, which has a
> vacant HD connector on it as well(it's actually a multi-I/O card).

You have two IDE cards in there? Remove one.

1+1=10

Reply 3 of 4, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, power connector is not the problem.

And the second card(ISA) has been there since the computer was born, running happily alongside the other one for well over a decade now...
No reason to remove it, methinks ?

There's only 1 single IDE connector in use(as has always been) in total.
And even if the second card is a multi I/O with both a floppy and IDE connector, it has only been used for floppy and serial/com ports.
(of 3! possible IDE ports, 2 are empty)

- So then, no-one has any comments on what type of actual PCI card I should be looking for ?
Checked ebay, but could only find new models, PCI 2.2 etc.
Not sure how they will work out ?
I cannot recollect ever seeing any drivers or whatnot for the existing card(s), so...

I guess they are totally jumper dependant(no drivers, ala Roland SCC-1 etc) ?
Finding such cards now doesn't seem much likely, at least not PCI versions... 😒

I could of course replace the (working) motherboard with a socket7 with built in controllers of many kinds, but I rather not for now.
(this is sort of my baby, paid 5 arms and half a leg for it.... 2 months full wages, and that's even after I got 1 months worth of discount(!)... and it all still works fine, apart from that dodgy IDE controller, that is)

Reply 4 of 4, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> No reason to remove it, methinks ?

Would it kill you to try?
That can only work properly if the IDE on the ISA card has been disabled or reconfigured to secondary. The ISA I/O controllers were not Plug&Play.

1+1=10