VOGONS

First post, by abyss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just tried to fix an old windows 98 computer and the things screwed up. Safe mode is completely deactivated meaning it cannot be used. I got in the boot menu but it just gives stuff like floppy disk and cd rom options. Nothing to useful there. It's a very cheap acer computer. It's got deep freeze on it so the problem is there next time it goes on. It sometimes makes it to doskey installed and rarely it gets to log on. It has furthest gotten to just after log on but it gives an illegal operation error and the only thing that works is going to detail and when you go to the botton bsod. The computer is completely frozen at bsod and it has to be shut down. I can't get anywhere with it. It has a kernal 32.dll error according to the illegal operation screen. Often when it goes to bsod it has darker blue lines going across the screen.

Reply 1 of 2, by Moogle!

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is the system RAM bad? Sounds like you need to check it with memtest+.

Take the ram out and clean its edges with a damp Q-tip. Also, take your HDD cables and reseat them. A dead CMOS battery can cause random errors, and your hard disk may be failing.