VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought quite a few old (and mostly inexpensive) graphics and sound cards on ebay, and I haven't tested any of them yet. In fact, I've lost track of what some of them are. In early January however, I will finally have the time to test everything, and to see how many of my aquisitions have faults, etc.

My question is - what is the best way to test old graphics & sound cards, some of which are unknown to me? Although they are all destined to be put inside vintage PC machines running either DOS, Win3.1 & Win9x, would say a fast Pentium III with Windows XP be a good system to initially try them out on? Windows XP might be able to identify the cards better than say Windows 98, and have more drivers on the XP disc to test them out with. -Just a guess!

Thank you very much for any advice. Merry Christmas. 😀 Best regards, Robert.

Edit: Actually, perhaps Windows 98 would be the best choice after all, because it gives you the option to boot up with DOS (7).

Reply 1 of 2, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think windows 98 would be better. But perhaps check out the name of the card before hand. Such as looking at the chips, and what names they have. But hey I am not the biggest geek there, but that is my two cents 😀