VOGONS

ATI Rage 128 Pro - it's only half alive.

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mobo is "empty", except for a brand new PCI ATI Rage 128 Pro.

Format HDD - OK
Install Windows 98SE - OK
Install chipset drivers - OK

So far, so good. VGA image looks good.

I try to install the ATI drivers (either downloaded from ATI website, or from the ATI install disc) - no joy. Error message =

"This display driver is not compatible with the display adapter(s) installed in your system."

(Earlier, I tested an identical 2nd graphics card in the same mobo - no problems.)

The "broken" card looks fine, but I think it may be damaged somehow.

However, testing a VESA 800x600 DOS game worked fine, so maybe I can still use it, just not for Windows.

Strange. 😖

Reply 2 of 8, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
batracio wrote:

Did you download the right file, i.e., WMER1284137192.exe?

Absolutely!

I also tried the driver CD which came with the card. I also tried the other card (I got two cards), and that other card worked fine - using the same identical supplied driver CD.

And all this has happened after a completely clean reinstall of Windows 98 SE.

Weird! 😖

Reply 4 of 8, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

PCI.EXE reports:

Vendor = ATI Technologies Inc
Device = Rage 128 Pro TR

But then it says -

Subsystem ID = Rage 128 Pro 4XL (Guess Only!)

I tried using Win98's "add new hardware" feature, and choosing an .inf file from the unpacked ATI driver package. Whatever model of ATI card I selected, Windows warned me that it wasn't suitable. After several of these attempts, I eventually just said "OK" and continued and "forced" Windows to install a driver - unfortunately I forget which one I chose now (all in wonder I think). It seemed to work OK! This driver and also the ATI control panel software were installed, and I then ran dxdiag and all those graphics tests worked.

Still seems strange though. Something's not right. 😐

Thanks for your assistance though! 😁

Edit: Please note that I was only able to "force" Windows to install the Rage driver by choosing to Update the Standard display driver (VGA) inside the Display properties section. I made a mistake in my post directly above by saying that I used the "add new hardware" wizard. I did not. I updated the standard display driver instead. Sorry. If I try to use the "add new hardware" wizard, I do not get any warning about a potentially unsuitable driver, but when I complete this driver installation, nothing happens! No new driver + software is installed.

Reply 5 of 8, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The mystery deepens...

I removed the "weird" ATI card, and replaced it with the other "normal" one. (Both cards having an identical appearance.)

I reran PCI.EXE, and it reported different results! -

For Device, it says: Rage 128 PP/Pro PCI (TMDS)
For subsystem, it says: (same as above)

I wonder...has someone been meddling with the BIOSes? 😕