VOGONS

Reply 20 of 32, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Many BX boards are capable of running 133mhz fsb without overclocking any other components with exception of the AGP bus. So if you're ok with some good PCI graphics card then finding a fast cpu for your board will suddenly become a whole lot easier.

Btw, from my experience I've noticed that most BX boards are capable of supporting coppermines. (atleast of all the BX boards that I ever managed to lay my hands on)

Reply 22 of 32, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

Btw, from my experience I've noticed that most BX boards are capable of supporting coppermines.

Then my questions are:

(1) In order to use Coppermine through Slotket adapter, the 440BX mobo should specifically support it, am I correct?

(2) How do we know if a 440BX support Coppermine or not? I have DTK PRM-00801 mobo. All the manual says that the mobo supports up to 500MHz PIII, but it doesn't say anything about Coppermine --let alone Slotket adapter.

(3) (side question) would the DTK PRM-00801 accept 500MHz Pentium III Xeon?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 24 of 32, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
Then my questions are: […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:

Btw, from my experience I've noticed that most BX boards are capable of supporting coppermines.

Then my questions are:

(1) In order to use Coppermine through Slotket adapter, the 440BX mobo should specifically support it, am I correct?

(2) How do we know if a 440BX support Coppermine or not? I have DTK PRM-00801 mobo. All the manual says that the mobo supports up to 500MHz PIII, but it doesn't say anything about Coppermine --let alone Slotket adapter.

(3) (side question) would the DTK PRM-00801 accept 500MHz Pentium III Xeon?

I had the same issue when upgrading my old (and very first!) computer, based on an asus p2b. I had a look on their website and it stated that coppermine was supported from rev 1.12. Alas, mine was a rev 1.10 so I got myself a Katmai 550 and performance was noticably improved from my original P2 350.
Some years later I wandered on a website with unofficial coppermine support for slot 1 boards. Apparently some p2b's did support the coppermine, but only the ones which had a particular chip on it. I checked it, and sure enough I had that chip! I put a coppermine in there (already had the newest bios) and it worked perfectly fine!

And about finding out wether any particular board supports coppermine or not, short of trying to do some research in internet the only way is to get hold of an expendable coppermine and simply try it out.

The only boards that you typically don't need to bother with are the ones made by Intel. They kinda made sure the newer chips wouldn't work

Edit: Taken from this website:
http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/p2b_p … pgrade_faq.html

Theres a list of voltage regulator chip thingies split into the chips that'll support coppermine and the ones that wont

Q: How do I find out which voltage regulator chip I have and what voltages it can provide?
A: You need to look at the board. Near the Slot1 connector there is a chip with around 30 pins or so. Some of these chips can provide 1.3V-3.5V, while others can only provide 1.8V-3.5V. Attention, dual-cpu boards have two voltage regulator chips, and it is possible that one is of the new type and the other not!
Chips that can provide voltages down to 1.3V:
HIP6019BCB
HIP6020ACB
HIP6004CB
HIP6004BCB
US3007CW

Chips that can only provide voltages down to 1.8V:
HIP6019CB
HIP6004ACB

Reply 25 of 32, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks, I'll check my mobo, then.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 26 of 32, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have received a P6TS3 Rev 1.0 with a celeron. Unfortunately, it does not support coppermines. Is there a simple soldering trick to change that? Otherwise, I won't bother with it. It and its celeron wil be relegated to minefield duty with new boards. Someone has to check them out...

Retro PC warning: The things you own end up owning you.

Reply 27 of 32, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ux-3 wrote:

I have received a P6TS3 Rev 1.0 with a celeron. Unfortunately, it does not support coppermines. Is there a simple soldering trick to change that? Otherwise, I won't bother with it. It and its celeron wil be relegated to minefield duty with new boards. Someone has to check them out...

There should be a way to do some wire trick so it'll support coppermines I think. Usually it comes down to wether the board can deliver the lower voltage required by the coppermines or not

Reply 29 of 32, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ux-3 wrote:

The board can. But this slotket will only run the celeron. Coppermines don't start. The board can run coppermines allright.

Heck, you could be right about that. I remember vaguely that when Intel moved from the PPGA Celerons to the FC-PGA Coppermines, they changed some pins so Coppermines plugged into old s370 boards would not work.

Correct me if I'm wrong though, I'm far from certain that that is indeed the case. It's just something I must've read once and never bothered to look into more thoroughly.

If that is the case, then it would make sense for the Coppermines to not work on a 1st generation slotket/slocket (can't they think of one single name??? 🤣)

Reply 30 of 32, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I skimmed through the the thread but, i'd just like to blurt out. that i ran a FC-PGA2 on a slocket i think the Super Slotket-III in that dell r450 that i posted while back witch i was running xp and wow on. worked great till the crappy dell mobo game way. i like using slockets it makes for a cheap machine that runs decently. i have alright luck with them.

Reply 31 of 32, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've read that even if an FC-PGA2 chip in a slot 1 works, it stresses the voltage regulators a lot. It might work for a while but the board might not last very long.
Even with FC-PGA 2 FC-PGA2 adapters, it still wont work on many boards.

Trying to find proper Tualatin boards is equally painful. There aren't that many made and it was the start of the capacitor plague. About half the Tualatin boards that passed through my hands had leaking caps and one worked (a TUSL2-C) but made an unbearable high pitched whine all the time so I ended up giving it away -_-

Reply 32 of 32, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gerwin wrote:
A while ago I found a Super Slotket-III adapter in an old compaq 440BX based PC (together with a voodoo3 2000 AGP :) ). Now this […]
Show full quote

A while ago I found a Super Slotket-III adapter in an old compaq 440BX based PC (together with a voodoo3 2000 AGP 😀 ). Now this type of adapter was new to me, and now I learned that it might help in upgrading a 440BX board with certain faster CPUs.
slotket image here: http://ht4u.net/old/2000/slotkets/
I fear I have the cheapest model slotket, quite plain without any IC on it, made in a time when Tualatin cores did not yet exist...

some questions arise:
- My mobo supports coppermine CPU's, can I put any socket 370 coppermine on the slotket, or only the 100MHz FSB ones?
- When I put in a 133MHz FSB coppermine CPU and set my bios and the jumpers to 100MHz, would it obey these settings?
- What about the Tualatin core CPU's?

At the moment I have these CPU's available:
- Intel Pentium III 600 - Coppermine Slot 1 (currently installed)
marked 600E/256/100/1.65V S1
- Intel Pentium III 866 - Coppermine Socket 370
marked 866/256/133/1.75V
- Intel Celeron 300/66 SL2YP Slot 1
- Intel Celeron 466/66 fv524rx466 Socket 370 (on slotket)
I have a soyo SY-6BA+III mainboard.

I have two slocket adapters with 1.4ghz PIII's in them. I planned to put them in my two Dell GX1 machines but it turns out the PIII can't hit 1.4ghz with the 100mhz system bus in the Dells. It can only hit that speed on a 133mhz bus BUT the Celeron 1.4ghz CAN do 1.4ghz on a 100mhz system bus so I got two of those to use in the slockets instead. What did I do with the PIII's? I bought an ABit VP6 Dual PIII motherboard and they will go in that. Now I have to figure how to use the dual 1ghz PIII's that came with that board. 😕