VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've seen quite a few posts about very fast PIII based machines running Windows 9x, but I just wondered if it was OK/possible/stable to run Windows 98 on a P4 based PC? Of course, 99% of the P4 mobos would not have ISA slots, but what if you didn't need them anyway? What if you just wanted AGP and PCI only? I guess that would be OK....?

Reply 1 of 20, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Win98 will run fine on any x86 compatible PC with BIOS. There are problems with more than 512 MB RAM (you need to change some settings) and with CPUs over 2.1 GHz (needs some patching).

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 2 of 20, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GL1zdA wrote:

Win98 will run fine on any x86 compatible PC with BIOS. There are problems with more than 512 MB RAM (you need to change some settings) and with CPUs over 2.1 GHz (needs some patching).

Oh wow, I never realised about a 2.1 GHz 'limit' - thanks very much for telling me. I was going to use a 2.4, now I might scale that back to a 2.0!

Thanks! 😁

Reply 6 of 20, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've used windows 98 and me on three P4 motherboards. One is a socket 478 and two LGA 775 based boards. All boards were fitted with only 512MB DDR400 RAM . The processors were P4 3 GHz and 2.8 GHz. Worked well without any problems. And I didn't install any patches.
I've also faced the more than 512MB problem in a 1GB setup which is easily circumvented by adding a statement in the win or system.ini file.

Reply 7 of 20, by rumbadumba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What the problem you get with RAM above a certain level? I've got two Win98 computers, one with 1gb the other 768mb, both seem pretty stable though I guess I only use them for a few games and music playing.

Reply 8 of 20, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rumbadumba wrote:

What the problem you get with RAM above a certain level? I've got two Win98 computers, one with 1gb the other 768mb, both seem pretty stable though I guess I only use them for a few games and music playing.

Here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/253912 .

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 10 of 20, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

While initializing device NDIS: Windows protection error

Does the error crash Win98, or is it just a popup message where you can click 'ok'?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 11 of 20, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Re: NDIS problem. When you boot up, you see a white text message on a black screen background informing you of this problem. You can then go no further. You have to switch off your machine. It disallows you from continuing to go to the desktop.

I saw it yesterday in fact. Windows 95 on a P4 2.4 machine. However, I put Win98 on it, and experienced no probs at all. Perhaps it's a case of YMMV?

Reply 12 of 20, by jthieme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My Win98se machine is a Soyo socket 478 ISA with 1gb ram and a P4 2.67 ghz processor. I've modified the system.ini file so Win98 only sees 768mb of ram but I've never seen the NDIS problem. It could be because I originally installed Win98 on a slower processor then upgraded. If it's just a problem that happens during installation as the KB article seems to indicate you could probably just change the speed settings of your processor or disable the internal cache in the BIOS, run the install then change them back again.

What's funny though is that I used to use this as my main computer and dual boot XP. But XP started seeing a divide by zero error during initialization I've tried reinstalling from scratch, removing memory, cards, even tried a different CPU but no luck on getting XP to work. I finally gave up and built a newer faster C2D system for my daily use and have a KVM swtich to use the Win98 machine when needed.

Reply 14 of 20, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

I've used windows 98 and me on three P4 motherboards. One is a socket 478 and two LGA 775 based boards. All boards were fitted with only 512MB DDR400 RAM . The processors were P4 3 GHz and 2.8 GHz. Worked well without any problems. And I didn't install any patches.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but Malik: do you remember what 775 boards you used with 98? I'm currently looking to buy a 478 board with ISA but I've come across a 775 with a 915 chipset. Googling seems to indicate that it might or might not be possible to run this with 98 so I was interested to see you hadn't had issues with a 775.

Reply 15 of 20, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Theres a fairly large list of compatible hardware for 98SE here:
Link: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/107001-compat … ith-windows-9x/
It would seem your mobo will run with 98SE 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 18 of 20, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ratfink wrote:
Malik wrote:

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but Malik: do you remember what 775 boards you used with 98? I'm currently looking to buy a 478 board with ISA but I've come across a 775 with a 915 chipset. Googling seems to indicate that it might or might not be possible to run this with 98 so I was interested to see you hadn't had issues with a 775.

The Asrock 775i65G works with Win98. Have a look:

http://www.asrock.com/MB/overview.asp?Model=775i65G

Reply 19 of 20, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:
GL1zdA wrote:

Oh wow, I never realised about a 2.1 GHz 'limit' - thanks very much for telling me. I was going to use a 2.4, now I might scale that back to a 2.0!

Thanks! 😁

Like I may have mentioned before, I once dual-booted 98SE and XP on a 2.4GHz Pentium 4 Prescott box, and aside from some small memory management issues (caused by the 1GB of RAM the system had), it ran 98SE just fine. 😀