VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just wondered if there were any advantages in picking a specific DOS version for running DOS games. Is Windows 9x's 'DOS 7' the best for DOS games, or are there any speed or other advantages in selecting DOS 5 or 6?

Reply 1 of 14, by tikbalang

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

my pick is DOS 7.xx from win95c and later. it has advantages with regards to fat32 filesystem and memory management. fat32 give you drive partitions greater than 2gb. the himem.sys that come with these later dos supports XMS v3.x specs, meaning it can use more than 64mb ram. i don't see any speed advantages though.

ESS PCI DOS Drivers

Reply 2 of 14, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My favourite is DOS 6.22. DOS 5 was good enough for memory managent to load it high, but 6.22 is like, more refined a bit.
I stay away form anything higher than 6.22 though, for compatibility sake. Soundblaster's AWE32 dos install program can't run under Dos 7, if I'm not mistaken. And I also avoid it (Dos 7+) to prevent unexplained crashes and other weird problems while playing a dos game.

Reply 4 of 14, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Using IBM DOS 7 here aka PC-DOS 2000

Much more memory efficient than MS-DOS 6.x

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 6 of 14, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have never really needed to revert back to Dos 6.22 since version 7.xx came preinstalled with windows in 1995.
Indeed the creative driver-installer refused to run in 7.10. But that check seems to only be there to make things unnecessarily difficult, as the drivers run fine, and the installers runs fine too when fooled with 'setver'.

Reply 8 of 14, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've found DOS 7.x to be more than adequate for me. The convenience of FAT32 support is a really big plus. I imagine there are lots of old old games that don't like it tho.

My fav thing about DOS 6 is the thorough help system it has. I used to just sit around and read through that back in the day.

Reply 10 of 14, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Amigaz wrote:

ofcourse, that is the right choise for a DOS only machine!!!! 😁
on my K6II and p200mmx I have installed win98SE and made it boot to DOS by default... mainly for FAT32 support....

Reply 11 of 14, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:
Amigaz wrote:

ofcourse, that is the right choise for a DOS only machine!!!! 😁
on my K6II and p200mmx I have installed win98SE and made it boot to DOS by default... mainly for FAT32 support....

hehe, you were my "sensei" when it came to this 😁

Reply 12 of 14, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Amigaz wrote:

Have you used UMBPCI.SYS, 386MAX, EMM386 or any other memory manager with PC-DOS? I'd like to know how compatible it is.

Anyway, with DOS 6.22, I have no problem getting 622K - 626K of conventional memory by tweaking it just right, depending on the motherboard.

Reply 13 of 14, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
valnar wrote:
Amigaz wrote:

Have you used UMBPCI.SYS, 386MAX, EMM386 or any other memory manager with PC-DOS? I'd like to know how compatible it is.

Anyway, with DOS 6.22, I have no problem getting 622K - 626K of conventional memory by tweaking it just right, depending on the motherboard.

Not using any at the moment since I have enough free conv. memory already since the system stuff is much smaller in PC-DOS and it can be loaded into UMB with DOS DATA=UMB in config.sys
And since I'm mostly running EISA 486 system my conv. memory isn't hogged down with system rom's etc
I don't think QEMM is compatible with PC-DOS

Reply 14 of 14, by l1qu1d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

*quote*I've found DOS 7.x to be more than adequate for me. The convenience of FAT32 support is a really big plus*quote* it is actually possible to install a NTFS drive on MS-DOS 6.22, if previously configured.. just as it is on Linux... 😉