VOGONS

First post, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello,

I couldn't find a really fitting subforum so I ended up here. It's not about emulation.
I have a IBM PS/2 System with VGA onboard and a 8514/A graphics card that gives a decent 1024x768 with 256 colors under Windows for Workgroups 3.11.

So I thought about getting Sim City 2000 to run. Plain DOS Version disqualifies since this very old machines lacks SVGA capabilities.
But I have a 256 color Mode in windows...
So I tried the Win9x SC2000 Edition, it installs fine but when I try it to run it fails. Some analysis shows that it tries to read back some configuration from the registry, that is in this case incompatible with Win9x.

So is there some real Win 3.x version of Sim City 2000 out there or is meant by Win 3.x version the DOS SC2000 which runs also under Win 3.x ?

So someone knows that version or even has this version?
(Or at least has some version that really runs in Win 3.x)

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can download the demo and test it out:
http://www.angelfire.com/games2/zealgames/sim … 00/patches.html

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 6, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had some talk with the EA support and they told me that this version of Sim City 2000 is not produced and sold since years. There are also no plans to release it as download version f.e.
My personal guess is that they even don't have an internal version themselves left.

The Win 3.1 version seems to be quite rare somehow. Well maybe I can patch the 30min demo a bit 😒.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 4 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, since game companies are bought and sold so often alot of times you'll see the new company want to give a game away for free and it turns out that the copy they'll have is an abandonware version! 😮

Sadly game preservation by the companies themselves is severly lacking even if the company never went out of business.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 6, by wildweasel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got a Collection CD that includes Sim City 2000 and the Urban Renewal Kit - I have no idea if it will work in 3.1, though, but I can check later today after I get back from my appointment. I have 3.1 loaded on this 486 here, that should be as good a test as any.

wwsig2-button1.pngwwsig2-center.pngwwsig2-button2.png

Reply 6 of 6, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The SimCity 2000 Special Edition CD-ROM-sized manual has separate sections with system requirements and installation instructions for DOS, Win 3.x and Win95. It specifies the following system requirements for Win 3.x:

IBM or 100% compatible, 486 or above
8 MB RAM minimum
Hard drive with 16 MB free required for complete installation
Graphics card and monitor capable of displaying 640x480x256 colors (512K Video RAM)
Double-speed CD-ROM drive
Windows 3.1 or above
Windows-compatible sound cards supported, midi support required for music