486 Motherboard Shipment Arrived

Topic actions

Reply 22 of 28, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retro games 100 wrote:

Am I right in thinking that the speaker connector plug which is featured in one of your photos above, is supposed to fit on to 4 jumper pins, just like the JB1 jumper set in the photo below?

Yep! Right on!

retro games 100 wrote:

ATM, I do not possess any soldering equipment, either a soldering iron, or a desolder tool.

Believe it or not, I actually bought the soldering iron after getting this board. It seems the soldering job is quite needed for our hobby here. Since this is more of an experimental board, I didn't hesitate to take the first risk. (But I still practised on a non-functional motherboard before messing with this board).

h-a-l-9000 wrote:

Now that I did a closer look I see something scary - On your first photo Now that I did a closer look I see something scary - On your first photo the bottom ISA slot has at least -5V shorted with a data line - I hope you fixed that before supplying power? If not, it might have killed the board and maybe the power supply.

I'm sorry but I'm unable to follow you here:

the bottom ISA slot has at least -5V shorted with a data line - how or which is the one that I can identify that the slot is shorted as you mentioned?

I hope you fixed that before supplying power? - How should I fix it?
The PSU seemed not working before installing this board. So I just waited for the ATX to AT converter cable with switch, which has arrived. Yet to get a new ATX PSU with the -5v rail.
Thanks!

Reply 24 of 28, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retro games 100 wrote:

Did you remove your battery by cutting both pins (with a small knife?), labelled 1? Or is it possible to remove the battery by bending back the pin section, labelled 2?

I tried at first to slice in-between. Then tried bending outwards but the pins seem to be firmly stuck on the battery pole surfaces. I didn't use excessive force on my part, for fear of damaging the adjacent structures. Only when I fail to achieve any positive outcome by these methods, I resorted to desoldering the battery from the under-surface of the motherboard to release the whole battery complex from the board.

Reply 25 of 28, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:
retro games 100 wrote:

Did you remove your battery by cutting both pins (with a small knife?), labelled 1? Or is it possible to remove the battery by bending back the pin section, labelled 2?

I tried at first to slice in-between. Then tried bending outwards but the pins seem to be firmly stuck on the battery pole surfaces. I didn't use excessive force on my part, for fear of damaging the adjacent structures. Only when I fail to achieve any positive outcome by these methods, I resorted to desoldering the battery from the under-surface of the motherboard to release the whole battery complex from the board.

Thanks for the info!! 😀 I think I need to get myself a desoldering gadget! 😀

Reply 26 of 28, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

See attachment

486mb_full_152.jpg
Please hit my head with a hammer but I still didn't quite get it. Are you talking about one of the tin connector in the ISA slot which seems to be touching the opposite pin? If yes, the fix should be to separate it back? Or inserting an ISA card in this slot will avoid any potential problem?Thanks again.

Attachments

• Filename
    486mb_full.jpg
    File size
    85.77 KiB
    Downloads
    95 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 27 of 28, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Isn't it obvious that this kind of problem can kill the board? 😵
Never connect a board with this kind of issue to power, the power supply may very well not have started because of the short.

Yes bend it back, and have a look at the contact next to it that seems empty as it probably has been pushed down into the slot and is shorting to the opposite pin too.

1+1=10

Reply 28 of 28, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
h-a-l-9000 wrote:
Isn't it obvious that this kind of problem can kill the board? :dead: Never connect a board with this kind of issue to power, […]
Show full quote

Isn't it obvious that this kind of problem can kill the board? 😵
Never connect a board with this kind of issue to power, the power supply may very well not have started because of the short.

Yes bend it back, and have a look at the contact next to it that seems empty as it probably has been pushed down into the slot and is shorting to the opposite pin too.

WHOA! 😳
Now I get it!! Thanks so much for the info!! 😅