VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I couldn't get any life out of this GUS Classic 3.4. It had a "Soundwave CD-45" daughterboard attached to it. I removed this daughterboard, cleaned up the GUS card, retested the GUS Card, and now it works fine.

Now I got the GUS working, I might try the DB again, but it's got "dip-switches" on it, and I don't know what they do.

They are labelled:

ON ALCO A D F 0 8
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Current positions of dipswitches are:

d d u u u u u u

d=down, u=up

Actually, I don't know anything at all about this Soundware CD-45 attachment.

Any thoughts please? Thanks! 😀

Attachments

• soundware cd45.JPG
    Filename
    soundware cd45.JPG
    File size
    89.06 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 14, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:
I couldn't get any life out of this GUS Classic 3.4. It had a "Soundwave CD-45" daughterboard attached to it. I removed this dau […]
Show full quote

I couldn't get any life out of this GUS Classic 3.4. It had a "Soundwave CD-45" daughterboard attached to it. I removed this daughterboard, cleaned up the GUS card, retested the GUS Card, and now it works fine.

Now I got the GUS working, I might try the DB again, but it's got "dip-switches" on it, and I don't know what they do.

They are labelled:

ON ALCO A D F 0 8
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Current positions of dipswitches are:

d d u u u u u u

d=down, u=up

Actually, I don't know anything at all about this Soundware CD-45 attachment.

Any thoughts please? Thanks! 😀

Is this the one that went recently on US Ebay? 😳

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 4 of 14, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

This looks more like a CDROM port. A weird one as it's only 8-bit.

I was hoping it was something which could provide some extra super-funky musical notes.

So you think it might be just some kind of basic CD "connector" thing?

I think I'm better off without it then! 🤣

Reply 5 of 14, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mystery solved. Probably.

Wikipedia says: "support for 16-bit recording [was available] through a separate daughterboard based on Crystal Semiconductors CS4231 codec".

(A CD-ROM can also be plugged in to it, on the top header section.)

Reply 8 of 14, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

most likely a primitive cd-rom interface...
look at this *simple* amiga cd-rom/ide interface that comes quickly in mind, both are very similar:

tandem_big.jpg

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 10 of 14, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Damn, is it just or has the GUS people being inspired by the Amiga ? since I seem too see many similarities and coincidences lately when it comes to the lovely Amiga and GUS. But maybe that is just me, but well just like Amigaz, I think I have a love for both things (the GUS and the Amiga) .

Reply 11 of 14, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🤣....
I fail to see the gus-amiga connection... that IDE interface realization was common in all computing platforms... perhaps you know more ?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 12 of 14, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

🤣....
I fail to see the gus-amiga connection... that IDE interface realization was common in all computing platforms... perhaps you know more ?

It plays .mod files in hardware as in the Amiga 😉

Reply 14 of 14, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

Forgive me for being off-topic, but I couldn't resist saying this : Hey Amigaz, I miss your Indy Avatar! 😁

Don't worry...I'll so return to my Indy form again...but right now I wanna be Franco Nero...the only european actor who's played a white ninja! 😁