VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am testing a CT2800. This one has an IDE connector. (I've seen other models marked CT2800 without the IDE interface.)

I run diagnose.exe in pure DOS, everything works. I install the card inside Windows 98, everything works.

However, if I run a DOS game in pure DOS, I get problems. There seems to be a DMA conflict somewhere. I suspect it's to do with onboard IDE. I cannot find a jumper on the sound card to disable the IDE. I was hoping to find a jumper labelled IDEEN, which does appear on the CT2801, whose purpose is to disable the IDE port.

I am now thinking - perhaps I need to run a software utility, to disable the IDE "in EEPROM mode?", so that I then don't run in to any DMA conflicts with my DOS games.

Any clues please? I know there's one or two CT2800 users out there, I can see you! 😉

Thanks! 😀

Reply 1 of 40, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:
I am testing a CT2800. This one has an IDE connector. (I've seen other models marked CT2800 without the IDE interface.) […]
Show full quote

I am testing a CT2800. This one has an IDE connector. (I've seen other models marked CT2800 without the IDE interface.)

I run diagnose.exe in pure DOS, everything works. I install the card inside Windows 98, everything works.

However, if I run a DOS game in pure DOS, I get problems. There seems to be a DMA conflict somewhere. I suspect it's to do with onboard IDE. I cannot find a jumper on the sound card to disable the IDE. I was hoping to find a jumper labelled IDEEN, which does appear on the CT2801, whose purpose is to disable the IDE port.

I am now thinking - perhaps I need to run a software utility, to disable the IDE "in EEPROM mode?", so that I then don't run in to any DMA conflicts with my DOS games.

Any clues please? I know there's one or two CT2800 users out there, I can see you! 😉

Thanks! 😀

I have two of these myself but haven't tried the so far.
Aren't these PnP cards which need CTCM and CTCU to change what resources it use?
Maybe it's resources are set to conflct with something in your PC?

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 2 of 40, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Amigaz wrote:
I have two of these myself but haven't tried the so far. Aren't these PnP cards which need CTCM and CTCU to change what resource […]
Show full quote
retro games 100 wrote:
I am testing a CT2800. This one has an IDE connector. (I've seen other models marked CT2800 without the IDE interface.) […]
Show full quote

Thanks! 😀

I have two of these myself but haven't tried the so far.
Aren't these PnP cards which need CTCM and CTCU to change what resources it use?
Maybe it's resources are set to conflct with something in your PC?

Actually, I don't think the model I have is PnP. The reason I think this, is because my PC's BIOS didn't see the card after I installed it. And Windows 98 did not see the card either -- I had to "manually" install it.

So, I don't think that CTCM and/or CTCU are applicable in my case.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Reply 3 of 40, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the CTCU util sets resources in the PnP cards eprom so I think it might work here too since the CT2800 only has jumpers for it's port adress IOS1, IOS0

Reply 4 of 40, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Amigaz wrote:

the CTCU util sets resources in the PnP cards eprom so I think it might work here too since the CT2800 only has jumpers for it's port adress IOS1, IOS0

Thanks, I'll give it a shot! 😀 Now, where did I put that Dos6 boot-up disk....? 😉

Edit: I tried CTCU, but I couldn't get this utility to see the CT2800.

I also tried 2 simple tests -

1) Inside windows 98, I select "Restart in MS-DOS mode". Once inside DOS, the CT2800 behaves perfectly.

2) I create my own ".pif" file on the windows 98 desktop, which reboots the PC to MS-DOS mode. Once inside DOS, I have problems with the CT2800 - a

DMA conflict, and I cannot get sfx. (Music is OK).

I think a previous software install (Gravis, in fact) has messed up my autoexec "environment", because when I switch on my PC, it fails to run win.com
Perhaps this is why I am having strange problems in DOS?

Actually, I might reinstall win98, as it's become a bit of a mess...

Reply 5 of 40, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have now tested my CT2800
All resources are set my diagnose.exe and written to some eprom on the card
Have mine running with A220 I7 D1 H7 T6

The other cards in this machine is an ATI MACH 32 Eisa gfx card, Music Quest MPU-401 card, Gravis Ultrasound Max rev 1.8 and a SIIG Serial card, Adaptec AHA 2742AT EISA SCSI Card

Reply 6 of 40, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Amigaz wrote:
Have now tested my CT2800 All resources are set my diagnose.exe and written to some eprom on the card Have mine running with A22 […]
Show full quote

The other cards in this machine is an ATI MACH 32 Eisa gfx card, Music Quest MPU-401 card, Gravis Ultrasound Max rev 1.8 and a SIIG Serial card, Adaptec AHA 2742AT EISA SCSI Card

I decided to do a fresh reinstall of win98!
And now, everything works. 😀

Incidentally, I performed the well known "Vogons hexen sound test", with the "warp 02" command line option. Using this sound card (a SB Vibra CT2800, with a Yamaha clone daughterboard), I hear no stuck/hanging notes.

Reply 7 of 40, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:
I decided to do a fresh reinstall of win98! And now, everything works. :happy: […]
Show full quote
Amigaz wrote:
Have now tested my CT2800 All resources are set my diagnose.exe and written to some eprom on the card Have mine running with A22 […]
Show full quote

I decided to do a fresh reinstall of win98!
And now, everything works. 😀

Incidentally, I performed the well known "Vogons hexen sound test", with the "warp 02" command line option. Using this sound card (a SB Vibra CT2800, with a Yamaha clone daughterboard), I hear no stuck/hanging notes.

Really? I thought this card was plagued with the hanging note problem.

I was stunned when I heard how clear the sound is on this card compared to the CT174xx and CT22xx series...

Reply 8 of 40, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Amigaz: Really? I thought this card was plagued with the hanging note problem.

My ct 2800 certainly has this hanging note bug 🙁 . (did you test this while using sb-pro for digital sound) The one here is without the IDE interface parts on the board. It has no EEPROM for its configuration, just internal registers you have to set after each boot.

Reply 9 of 40, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

😦 😦 Damn it! I did the "hexen warp" test earlier on, and I got no stuck notes! After reading the above posts, I re-ran my tests, and guess what...stuck notes! Argh! 😠

Sorry guys. Apologies. It really did work, but I guess it was some kind of fluke, because I've retested it about 5 or 6 times and it fails each time. 🙁

Reply 10 of 40, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think I've "solved" this problem! 😁 When I say "solved", I mean I can reproduce a specific set of steps so that "hexen warp 02" never has the hanging/stuck notes problem, when you use the soundblaster card with a daughterboard attachment!

Here's what I did:

1) Run megamid (freeware midi song play program, please google for it) with the included demo0001 song. Command line usage: megamid demo0001

2) Then run hexen in "warp 2 mode". Command line usage: hexen -warp 02

That's it! You never hear the stuck note problem! 😁

(You can exit hexen, and go back in again, and you still get no stuck notes.)

Please note: I've tested the above three times, all from cold boots, just to make trebly-sure I haven't made another idiotic mistake.

Reply 11 of 40, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is interesting, I would like to try that myself with a few games, but that will have to wait till tomorrow. (honestly I don't expect the MPU-port of the sb-16's to ever be usable enough for me, but we will give it a try again 😉 )

Reply 12 of 40, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How many (roughly) of the Creative ISA soundcards are plagued with the "hanging/stuck" daughterboard problem?

The reason I ask is that I am testing a SB16 (CT2230) with a DB attachment, and haven't noticed this problem with the "hexen warp" test.

Thanks for any info. 😀

Reply 13 of 40, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:

How many (roughly) of the Creative ISA soundcards are plagued with the "hanging/stuck" daughterboard problem?

The reason I ask is that I am testing a SB16 (CT2230) with a DB attachment, and haven't noticed this problem with the "hexen warp" test.

Thanks for any info. 😀

Interesting.....what DSP version is it?

My CT2290 has the hanging note problem

Reply 14 of 40, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Amigaz wrote:
retro games 100 wrote:

Thanks for any info. 😀

I would be happy to provide you with this information...if I knew where to find it! 😀

Reply 15 of 40, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:
Amigaz wrote:
retro games 100 wrote:

Thanks for any info. 😀

I would be happy to provide you with this information...if I knew where to find it! 😀

Run diagnose.exe and you'll be enlightened with info 😀

Reply 16 of 40, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Amigaz wrote:
retro games 100 wrote:
Amigaz wrote:

It's 4.13
Is that a "good" number? 😉

Reply 17 of 40, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:
Amigaz wrote:
retro games 100 wrote:

It's 4.13

Nope, that's an evil DSP

Reply 18 of 40, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Amigaz wrote:
retro games 100 wrote:
Amigaz wrote:

It's 4.13

Nope, that's an evil DSP

Oh hell! 😉 What's wrong with it?!

Reply 19 of 40, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's suppose to be the DSP version that causes the hanging notes

btw. I played Heretic for circa 20mins today without getting any hanging notes with my CT2800