VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm having some problems with a GUS Max, revision 1.8 board. I used a genuine GUS installation CD, to install all of the software, but I forget who gave me the CD, and consequently, I'm not 100% sure if this CD is OK for a 1.8 board, although I'm fairly sure it's OK however. Edit: I remember now, it came with a RAM-upgraded GUS Max, rev 2.1 board.

Anyway, my PC keeps freezing whenever I play games. If I remove the GUS, all is well again. Something's not right. Sometimes the music/sound is stuttery and missing notes. I think it could be some kind of conflict/memory addressing problem, something like that.

The GUS Max doesn't have any RAM upgrade onboard. I have a Diamond Stealth 2000 3D Pro card, with 4mb of RAM. 2mb (4 chips) of this RAM appears to be "pushed in" to some of its RAM "slot holders". I'm thinking I could remove one of these 4 chips (512k?), and upgrade the GUS. Is it OK to do this? If so, any tips on how to remove the RAM chip from the Diamond video card?

The reason I am enquiring about upgrading the GUS is, I'm wondering if the GUS installation CD is assuming I have the 1mb version of the GUS Max, and has installed a 1mb patch set. Then, when I run a game, the game loads up a patch set which is too big for a 512k GUS Max to cope with properly, hence the freezing/lockups??

Thanks a lot for any advice. 😀

Edit 2: It's possible the problem may only be related to the game called "Epic Pinball" by Epic Megagames. I can play this game OK, but it seems to freeze up every time when I try to exit the game. I think it's where the game asks you for your high score initials.

Reply 1 of 8, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:
I'm having some problems with a GUS Max, revision 1.8 board. I used a genuine GUS installation CD, to install all of the softwa […]
Show full quote

I'm having some problems with a GUS Max, revision 1.8 board. I used a genuine GUS installation CD, to install all of the software, but I forget who gave me the CD, and consequently, I'm not 100% sure if this CD is OK for a 1.8 board, although I'm fairly sure it's OK however. Edit: I remember now, it came with a RAM-upgraded GUS Max, rev 2.1 board.

Anyway, my PC keeps freezing whenever I play games. If I remove the GUS, all is well again. Something's not right. Sometimes the music/sound is stuttery and missing notes. I think it could be some kind of conflict/memory addressing problem, something like that.

The GUS Max doesn't have any RAM upgrade onboard. I have a Diamond Stealth 2000 3D Pro card, with 4mb of RAM. 2mb (4 chips) of this RAM appears to be "pushed in" to some of its RAM "slot holders". I'm thinking I could remove one of these 4 chips (512k?), and upgrade the GUS. Is it OK to do this? If so, any tips on how to remove the RAM chip from the Diamond video card?

The reason I am enquiring about upgrading the GUS is, I'm wondering if the GUS installation CD is assuming I have the 1mb version of the GUS Max, and has installed a 1mb patch set. Then, when I run a game, the game loads up a patch set which is too big for a 512k GUS Max to cope with properly, hence the freezing/lockups??

Thanks a lot for any advice. 😀

Edit 2: It's possible the problem may only be related to the game called "Epic Pinball" by Epic Megagames. I can play this game OK, but it seems to freeze up every time when I try to exit the game. I think it's where the game asks you for your high score initials.

I think that cd has ancient drivers, latest drivers are ver. 4.11 but the latest install is version 4.10 which is on 7 floppy disks
I'll see if I can dig out the link to those drivers

btw. be prepared that a Gus card..especially early version of the Max and PnP can cause problems in some systems...I have som system that just lock up during boot when ultrainit inits the card

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 2 of 8, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://ftp.isu.edu.tw/pub/Hardware/multimedia/Gravis/gus411/

Ignore the "411" it's actually version 4.10

Here's the 4.11 update:
ftp://ftp.gravis.com/Public/Sound/Drivers/GUS&Max/GUS411.ZIP

Reply 3 of 8, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Amigaz wrote:
http://ftp.isu.edu.tw/pub/Hardware/multimedia/Gravis/gus411/ […]
Show full quote

Here's the 4.11 update:

Awesome! Thanks a lot! 😁
I will DL this installation software, and retest the GUS Max.

One thing I noticed however - when the ultrinit.exe program initialises itself on boot up, it displays the message: version 2.28a. I thought this was the latest version? Perhaps it's not as simple as that? Perhaps the updated software you provided links for contain other additional important updates?

Edit: I ran the install.exe program found on the ftp gravis "gus411" zip package, just to double-check the version number, which was naturally 4.11. But then I ran the install.exe found on my GUS Max CD, and saw that it too was version 4.11. Therefore, I think I have all the latest GUS Max software.

Please can you tell me why you suspected that the drivers on the GUS CD were ancient? Were you thinking of the early GUS PnP CD, which was re-released by Gravis with updated software?

Thanks a lot for any additional comments! 😀

Reply 4 of 8, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:
Awesome! Thanks a lot! :happyhappy: I will DL this installation software, and retest the GUS Max. […]
Show full quote
Amigaz wrote:
Show full quote

Here's the 4.11 update:

Awesome! Thanks a lot! 😁

One thing I noticed however - when the ultrinit.exe program initialises itself on boot up, it displays the message: version 2.28a. I thought this was the latest version? Perhaps it's not as simple as that? Perhaps the updated software you provided links for contain other additional important updates?

Edit: I ran the install.exe program found on the ftp gravis "gus411" zip package, just to double-check the version number, which was naturally 4.11. But then I ran the install.exe found on my GUS Max CD, and saw that it too was version 4.11. Therefore, I think I have all the latest GUS Max software.

Please can you tell me why you suspected that the drivers on the GUS CD were ancient? Were you thinking of the early GUS PnP CD, which was re-released by Gravis with updated software?

I have a Gus Max install cd too but those drivers are version 3.x something so I asumed you had the same cd and version since these cards often came with floppy discs.
Any chance you can "share" that cd? 😁
Try the card in another machine

Reply 5 of 8, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Amigaz wrote:
I have a Gus Max install cd too but those drivers are version 3.x something so I asumed you had the same cd and version since th […]
Show full quote
retro games 100 wrote:
Awesome! Thanks a lot! :happyhappy: I will DL this installation software, and retest the GUS Max. […]
Show full quote
Amigaz wrote:
Show full quote

Here's the 4.11 update:

Awesome! Thanks a lot! 😁

I have a Gus Max install cd too but those drivers are version 3.x something so I asumed you had the same cd and version since these cards often came with floppy discs.
Any chance you can "share" that cd? 😁
Try the card in another machine

No problem at all! Please PM me, and advise me the best way to give you a copy of the installation CD, which has a .jpg link below...

Edit: I had to reduce its size so much, to make sure the photo size wasn't too big, that it is now hardly readable. If you want clarification over any of the text on the CD label, please just ask.

Attachments

• Filename
    gusCD.JPG
    File size
    45.94 KiB
    Downloads
    110 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 8, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Request please -

If you own a GUS Max revision 1.8 board, preferably without the RAM upgrade, please can you download the free demo called epic megagames pinball, found here -

http://www.digitalextremes.com/files/epicpn21.zip

and then run setup.exe to select your sound card, then just play pinball for 1 minute. Exit the game, go back in again, and play for 1 more minute.

Does it work OK, or does it lock up your machine?

Thanks a lot! 😀

PS - sorry if it does lock up your machine! It probably won't do. 😉

Edit: Also, can someone please recommend any free download software I can run, just to test out the digital sound on my GUS Max? I think the midi playback works ok. I think I'm just having trouble with the native digital sound. (I've tried every shareware demo on the GUS CD, which is where I got the pinball game, but I was hoping to test out something from the old GUS "demo scene".) Thanks a lot.

Reply 7 of 8, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:

I've tried every shareware demo on the GUS CD, which is where I got the pinball game, but I was hoping to test out something from the old GUS "demo scene".

In case you're still looking for scene demos: Here you are!

Reply 8 of 8, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
5u3 wrote:
retro games 100 wrote:

I've tried every shareware demo on the GUS CD, which is where I got the pinball game, but I was hoping to test out something from the old GUS "demo scene".

In case you're still looking for scene demos: Here you are!

Awesome! Thanks so much 5u3! 😁