VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Model CT1750. It's the one with 3 input jacks (line in, mic, speaker) and a volume wheel.

I've got some basic headphones plugged in to the speaker port. Everything sounds "distant / far away", low volume, lacks bass, "tinny" and hissy. (Hehe, perhaps that's normal? 🤣 ) Also, moving the volume wheel at the back of the card has no effect.

Does this soundcard not perform well with a "passive" output device, such as cheap headphones? Perhaps I need to mess about with jumper(s) to get some amplification?

Any sage retro wisdom would be very gratefully received! 😀

Edit: Solved. (I'm quite surprised I managed to figure out something which required a degree of intelligence.)

I went to this website -

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/sound-cards-multi … R-16MCD-AS.html

There's a set of jumpers called OPSL & OPSR for internal amplification. I set both to pins 2 and 3. (They were both on pins 1 and 2).

Now, I can slide the volume thumb wheel at the back of the card, and it has an effect. Also, the sound is louder.

Reply 1 of 6, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most likely the output of your card is set to "Line-Out" instead of "Speaker-Out". There should be a pair of jumpers near the output connectors, which need to be moved into the other position. This will activate the onboard amplifier and the volume wheel.

Here is a diagram with the jumper settings described. The ones for the onboard amp are labelled "OPSL" and "OPSR".

Edit: Ah, you found out yourself in the meantime. Well done!

Reply 5 of 6, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a ct-1740. Does anyone know where to find setting for all the jumpers on this thing?

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold