VOGONS

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I got a while back from eBay this little card (complete with the saturn joypad ports, saturn pad, manual and driver disk)

k-edge3000.jpg

I have the 2MB version 😠

I was wondering, where are those Saturn ports that use this card? I wanna test it out of curiosity... plus I payed ~65eur to get it 🤣
Supported games are:

Nascar Racing
Panzer Dragoon
Virtua Fighter Remix
Virtua Cop

plus, anyone knows how I can upgrade it to 4MB? will a ramboard from another vga fit?
thanks!!!

ps. I know this card is of "questionable" usage but info on this hardware is very rare.

Reply 1 of 13, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The saturn ports are on a seperate card attached with cables..didn't you get it with the card?

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 2 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yes, I have the ports, a saturn pad, AND a converter for a normal pc gamepad, it goes to the lan-looking port of the card...
so have u tried yours ?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 13, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

yes, I have the ports, a saturn pad, AND a converter for a normal pc gamepad, it goes to the lan-looking port of the card...
so have u tried yours ?

Have to confess I only tried the card once when I tested a 486 mobo 😜
But my plans is to test the card shortly on my P133 system and test some games which had native support for it 😀
Unfortunately I don't own any saturn gamepads 🙁

Reply 4 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

so you got the games that support it? are they the normal versions widelly available?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 13, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

so you got the games that support it? are they the normal versions widelly available?

I have a couple of them but haven't tried them yet....I'm still stuck testing tons of DOS and Sega MD games 😀

Reply 6 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yes but are there *special* versions the ones you found? like older 3DFX titles? or no?

Reply 7 of 13, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

yes but are there *special* versions the ones you found? like older 3DFX titles? or no?

Yesss 😎

Reply 8 of 13, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think the only games available for the NV1 chip are the ones that came bundled with the cards. Imagine being the guy who paid $600 for the top end model. 😀

Reply 9 of 13, by gravitone

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The game battle arena of toshiden listst the nv1 as an option in the setup menu. Allong with the rendition verite, powervr, and one or two others from the top of my head. Im trying to find some info on other possible nv1 games, but you can at least add this one to your list.

Reply 11 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

calling anyone (especially amigaz) to help find all games that came with the card... I plan to preserve them for anyone in underground.gamer community... those nv1 games are HARD AS HELL to find. please help.

Reply 12 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I did some tests with the 3000/2MB card that I have...

pcpbench scores a low 24.4fps (no LFB available and mxk6opt says the video buffer cannot be optimised...)

the card has a vesa1.2 bios, univbe6.7 updates it to vesa2.0 but offers no speed increase or lfb (nv1 limitation?) also univbe6.7 breaks nv1 and at least in DOS the display has wrong colors and garbage (tested with battle arena toshinden)

now the actual game test... I see no visual difference or speed increase/decrease between the accelerated nv1 and svga modes... maybe there is a speed increase when using slower systems like a pentium1... (I tested on my K6II-450 pc)
more to come when I get my hands on the windows nv1 games 😀

UPDATE:

it appears than when you hit ESC and the game pauses, it displays on the bottom left corner the current fps... nv1 scores between 22-30fps, and svga from 20-26fps... so nv1 is indeed a little bit faster 🤣

Reply 13 of 13, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm trying to get Battle Arena Toshinden to work on my capture computer (1ghz p3, asus pb3-f, 1024mb ram, Diamond Edge 3D 2200), but it just crashes. Did you do something special to make it run?

The SVGA version and 3DFX versions runs fine if started through Windows. In pure DOS mode all versions crashes after the intro to a black screen. So I suspect this may be a system problem rather than the NV1.

EDIT: I downloaded the Mystique patch and now NV1 mode works! YAY! 😀 FPS in 640x400 is 30 (frame limit)

Attachments

• 20120720022849.jpg
    Filename
    20120720022849.jpg
    File size
    282.75 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Nvidia Card Detected
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes