VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This 8x "hi speed" CD ROM drive has a disc tray I haven't seen before, because it looks spring mounted. You can press down on it, and it goes downward by about 1cm. (Take your finger off, and the 2 side mounted springs take the tray back to its starting position.)

This is all fine by me, but the problem is that I can't get it to read any discs, and I was wondering if it was because this device requires some kind of caddy?

Any ideas please people? 😀

Reply 1 of 5, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:

This 8x "hi speed" CD ROM drive has a disc tray I haven't seen before, because it looks spring mounted. You can press down on it, and it goes downward by about 1cm. (Take your finger off, and the 2 side mounted springs take the tray back to its starting position.)

This is all fine by me, but the problem is that I can't get it to read any discs, and I was wondering if it was because this device requires some kind of caddy?

Any ideas please people? 😀

Have a similar drive muself with the same mechanism

Sounds like a worn drive to me...most of these early ATAPI drives were pure crap and didn't last long.
Think I've had to trow away circa 10 old 4-12x drives the past 2-3 years... 😜
Only Plextor could make quality stuff back then

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 2 of 5, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yep, typical now-working scenario... I remember back then I changed cd drives every 8-10months... they just stopped reading disks.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 5, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah, pity. 🙁

But congratulations to Teac though; their 6x speed IDE drive I'm testing seems to work OK! 😀

I tried it in conjunction with the freely downloadable Nero DriveSpeed, and set this app to make the Teac drive read at just 1x speed, and it happily chugged away (almost silently) playing my test game "Jedi Knight Dark Forces". The spooled-off-CD FMV cut-scene seemed a bit stuttery, but only a bit.

Reply 4 of 5, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

why not set it 2x ? still it will be silent... most games needed 2x AFAIR

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website