VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hardware: Soundblaster live! model CT4620 and (pictured in centre) an I/O attachment, model CT4660.

I've successfully tested this I/O attachment's MIDI OUT, by connecting a midi cable to its MIDI OUT socket, and feeding it to a MIDI IN socket on a Roland SC-55 external unit. I then play a .mid tune on the Win98 PC, and I can hear it being played on the SC-55.

Now, I have connected a midi cable to this Roland SC-55 unit's MIDI OUT socket, and fed this lead in to the Creative I/O attachment's MIDI IN socket.

Then, I select one of the two demo songs which are onboard the SC-55, and play one of them. All I need to do now is know that this music is being sent successfully through the Creative I/O attachment, and then in to the Soundblaster card itself.

I am guessing that I need to be running some software on the PC, but I've never done any like this kind of stuff before, and so I don't know what application I need to run to be able to hear the music.

Any ideas please people? 😀

PS -

I'm afraid to complicate matters, all of the Creative software installed was from an older "SB live Platinum edition" CD, and I don't think it's working all that well, because when I try to launch certain Creative applications, such as the mixer, they fail to run.

Attachments

• ct4660.JPG
    Filename
    ct4660.JPG
    File size
    95.05 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 4, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

why not dowload proper drivers from creative's site?

I think the drivers are ok.

I then tried installing the Creative application suite from a CD, and I think that's when some of the trouble started.

However, the card itself still appears to function correctly - all of dxdiag is ok, including the "midi out" test (sent to the Roland SC-55). Also the eax demo works, and Creative's diagnostics check is ok.

(I think I just need an application to test out the SB's I/O attachment "MIDI IN" functionality. Thanks.)

Reply 3 of 4, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Get a 2nd sound card with a game/midi out. Run it's out to the in... In the control panel select the 2nd one's MPU as the preferred device... make sure the volume on the live is up and let her rip.

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 4 of 4, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
prophase_j wrote:

Get a 2nd sound card with a game/midi out. Run it's out to the in... In the control panel select the 2nd one's MPU as the preferred device... make sure the volume on the live is up and let her rip.

I'd like to give this a shot. Do you think installing a 2nd SB live card (in my win98 box) is asking for trouble? I would pick a different sound card, but I don't know where I've put my "joystick midi" cable... 😦

Edit: I forgot I've got a terratec dmx 6fire. 😦 I'll use that instead. I'll post back with some results tomorrow.. 😀

Edit 2: Unfortunately, I couldn't get this to work. I got both the SB and the terratec installed in the same machine. I can get both the SB and the terratec to send midi music to the sc-55. But I can't seem to send midi music from either the SB to the terratec, or from the terratec to the SB (thus testing each of their midi IN sockets.)

(BTW, I couldn't see anything labelled "MPU" inside control panel -> multimedia -> Audio /or/ Midi)