VOGONS

Yamaha DB50XG in DOS

Topic actions

First post, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried searching but I couldn't find a suitable answer as to how to use the DB sound in old DOS games? Some say use MPU-401 as output, but what if I cannot configure it from the DOS game (like Monkey Island 1)?

I acquired AWE32 3980/28MB with DB50XG, installed DOS 6.0, installed the card and the drivers correctly, but I just don't get any sound at all for example in games like Prince of Persia (1 and 2) or GODS.

For example, GODS support only "sound blaster" or "roland" so is it possible that I need an even older card for these games? Will SB16 CT1750 suffice? One more question - is the SB16 CT1750 MCD also "ASP" or not? Nowhere on the card is written "ASP".

Thanks for any replies...

Reply 1 of 22, by wildweasel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If it says to use MPU-401, they're likely referring to the game's "Roland" setting. For Monkey Island you just start the game with "monkey r" to enable Roland mode.

wwsig2-button1.pngwwsig2-center.pngwwsig2-button2.png

Reply 2 of 22, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wildweasel wrote:

If it says to use MPU-401, they're likely referring to the game's "Roland" setting. For Monkey Island you just start the game with "monkey r" to enable Roland mode.

Thanks! Ill try it out. But what about other games? Is every game so specific?

Reply 4 of 22, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nicely said. So... let me rephrase the question - how do I know yamaha works (in DOS)? I managed to get sound up and running by playing with DMA settings, but honestly, midi sounds still pretty bad (much different then the samples I found online).

Correct me if I'm wrong but, yamaha cannot emulate LAPC-I, right?

Reply 5 of 22, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

nope, the DB50XG is a GM/XG daughterboard only... Just install DOOM and select general midi as music. you will immediatelly notice the difference. Or use the Duke Nukem 3D setup, that tests settings on the fly.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 22, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elfuego wrote:

Nicely said. So... let me rephrase the question - how do I know yamaha works (in DOS)? I managed to get sound up and running by playing with DMA settings, but honestly, midi sounds still pretty bad (much different then the samples I found online).

For example take any game featured on dosforum.de's nice comparison page and configure it to use General MIDI for the music.

elfuego wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but, yamaha cannot emulate LAPC-I, right?

Right. Although the DB50XG has an "MT-32 emulation mode" (which you have to activate first), it will not work correctly with games that are programmed to use the full functionality of a MT-32 or LAPC-I.
This problem is common with General MIDI synths. So if you want to enjoy true MT-32/LAPC-I music, you'll have to get the real hardware.

Reply 9 of 22, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK just downloaded Duke3d shareware demo so I'll give it a go. But I also found a line in my autoexec.bat saying: SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 and something else. Does this mean that the AWE is configured to synth midi all over?

And again - how can one activate mt-32 on yamaha?

Thanks 😀

Reply 10 of 22, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elfuego wrote:

OK just downloaded Duke3d shareware demo so I'll give it a go...

Holy crap! Yamaha definitely works! Not that it just works, it kicks ass in Duke3D!!! I never, ever heard duke theme played better! WOW.

But there is still one issue to clear out. In Windows 98 I selected "SB16 Midi out" as MIDI device - but midi files sound much worse then on "SB AWE32 Midi synth". Instruments sound either hollow or high pitched, depending on the instrument. How to fix that?

Reply 11 of 22, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If there is an option for MPU-401 use that. Maybe your getting the OPL-3.

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 12 of 22, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elfuego wrote:

But I also found a line in my autoexec.bat saying: SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 and something else. Does this mean that the AWE is configured to synth midi all over?

No, this line doesn't do anything except if you use Creative's own command-line MIDI file player. You can safely delete it from your AUTOEXEC.BAT file.

elfuego wrote:

And again - how can one activate mt-32 on yamaha?

There are various ways to do this... One of the simplest:

Games using only the default MT32 instruments (like Monkey Island 1) will sound similar to the MT32. Games with more sophisticated MT-32 soundtracks will play with wrong instruments though.

elfuego wrote:

In Windows 98 I selected "SB16 Midi out" as MIDI device - but midi files sound much worse then on "SB AWE32 Midi synth". Instruments sound either hollow or high pitched, depending on the instrument. How to fix that?

I've got no idea. "SB16 MIDI out" should be the correct selection alright. What do you mean with "hollow or high pitched"? Can you make a recording of this?

Reply 13 of 22, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think I can manage the recording too. Though not that fast; I have an exam coming so I won't have much time on my hands 😒

But I ran into one more issue. General MIDI works relatively good on almost every game that supports it, but I noticed that I get occasional "lag" in some games. For example in Duke3D, the sound plays perfectly for 2 minutes, then the music lags for a second or two, then it goes on correctly. This repeats every 2-3 minutes. Similar thing happens in Mortal Kombat 2 - with a difference that the music goes perfectly up until one moment, where it just hangs the whole system (after 2-3 min). And that happens only with GM enabled (not with normal AWE32 midi), so its definitely not HW, but sound issue.

... and unfortunately I finally found out what do "hanging notes" mean. In Realms of Arcania 1 there is an awful hanging notes bug, both on AWE32 3980 and on SB16 CT1750 (here a bit less). I'll try to enable the MT32 support and see if that helps or not. Interestingly, I dont hear any hanging notes in Hexen (the "most problematic game")... Any ideas how to fix the lags?

Reply 14 of 22, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Forget about the recording for now...
After I've read about your new issues (the lags and the hanging notes), I've got the feeling this is caused by something different. Maybe some configuration error, or hardware incompatibility.
What are your system specs? Are you running the games in a Windows command-line shell or in real DOS?

Reply 15 of 22, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
5u3 wrote:

Forget about the recording for now...
After I've read about your new issues (the lags and the hanging notes), I've got the feeling this is caused by something different. Maybe some configuration error, or hardware incompatibility.
What are your system specs? Are you running the games in a Windows command-line shell or in real DOS?

I am dual booting official and legal 😀 MS DOS 6.0 and Windows 98 SE with:

Asus P5A with official beta BIOS from 2002 (latest I could find)
K6/3 @ 120 (2x60Mhz) - 600Mhz (6x100Mhz) depends on the game
3dfx Voodoo 5 5500 AGP
1x64MB PC100 or 2x256MB PC133 SDRAM, depending on need
1x Realtec NIC 10mb
1x AWE32 ct3890 or SB16 ct1750 ASP with yamaha on them
Maxtor DM45+ 20GB with 2GB FAT16 (DOS) partition, 8GB FAT32 Windows 98 partition and the rest I left unpartitioned for Linux (later)
1x Yamaha CDRW 8/8/24x