VOGONS

Reply 60 of 68, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
prophase_j wrote:

My setup is very close to the system you used for the benchmarks, and my V5 AGP nailed out 227.6fps at the default setting and LFB enabled. Out of my small collection I topped out with NV6 at 238.0fps.

At which resolution? Just tested mine V5AGP so i can compare results and eventualy look onto bios settings
ive got about 240FPS in 320x240 and only 103,5 fps in 640x480. So if you got that in 640x480 then is something wrong with mine bios or your chipset KT333 with DDR is way faster than mine older KT133A with SDR.

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 61 of 68, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I realized after a while that you had used Quake for your benchmark numbers, and mine had came from the PCPBench program.

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 62 of 68, by unmei220

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

I ran into that with a Virge GX too, with Terminal Velocity. I think the old S3 "S3D" ports look for the Virge 325 chip specifically.

Sorry for the OLD thread revival, but I thought this info would be interesting and should be written somewhere in this forums. I have played Terminal Velocity on a ViRGE DX, more precisely, the Diamond S. 3D 2000 Pro. As swaaye says, the old S3D games where made for the 325, original ViRGE, but they're playable also on the other cards.
What is needed is the S3D Toolkit Patcher. It's an exe that is used to run the original game exe, and it will allow S3D games to work on non-325 cards.
I learned this from the now gone S3 Planet page. More precisely, this is what it said:

S3d Toolkit Patcher:
This utility is meant to let old S3d games compiled for the ViRGE chipset (such as TV and D2) work on the newer ViRGE DX/GX/GX2 chipsets. Once you've installed the files, put the S3DOSDRV (or wherever you told the setup to put the DOS files) directory in your path and type S3DRUN <progname>.

If anyone's interested, here is the file.

Reply 63 of 68, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the information and the file! I still occasionally play FX Fighter Turbo with the Virge executable. I may now try it with the GX. The graphics is nothing to write home about (crude and rudimentary), but it's part of pc gaming history, nonetheless.

fx_fighter03.jpg

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 65 of 68, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

Thanks for the information and the file! I still occasionally play FX Fighter Turbo with the Virge executable.

Will the Virge executable work with a non-Virge CD?

Reply 66 of 68, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bushwack wrote:
Malik wrote:

Thanks for the information and the file! I still occasionally play FX Fighter Turbo with the Virge executable.

Will the Virge executable work with a non-Virge CD?

I'm not sure if the Virge executabe will work with a non-virge version.

I assume the virge version will also come with a non-virge executable.

In addition to the executable, maybe the Virge version will require the respective .dll file(s) to work.

Any examples you have in mind?

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 67 of 68, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool discussion!

I was a noob back in the days but I do remember that a gaming magazine recommended the S3 Trio 64 V+ and I believe I had such a card together with a 3DFX Voodoo in a Pentium 133 😁

I had zero issues, everything "just worked"

In my previous machine which was a DX4 100 I believe I did have a VLB Tseng ET4000...

Reply 68 of 68, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Since the link to S3D Toolkit Patcher is dead I've attached it in this message.

Attachments

• Filename
    S3DTOOL.ZIP
    File size
    254.18 KiB
    Downloads
    398 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception