VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Inserted a SB live! card in to my mobo, and it couldn't see the card. Tried another slot, same problem.

I examined the PCI contacts. It had a lot of yellow brown substance on them. It took 6 cotton bud swabs, soaked in thermal substance remover, to wipe off this stuff. (I'm waiting for the card to dry completely, before testing it again.)

What is this stuff?! 😮 😕

Reply 1 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

blown capacitors mabye?

Did you take the card out of an old motherboard? Could be the motherboard or an old PSU that leaked on the card.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 12, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:

blown capacitors mabye?

Did you take the card out of an old motherboard? Could be the motherboard or an old PSU that leaked on the card.

I just bought the card on its own, which visibly (apart from the "stuff") looks OK.
Maybe the seller's PC got damaged, and leaked its guts out over the sound card?

Edit: Card back in machine, now works great.

Reply 3 of 12, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe the seller was a heavy smoker. Tobacco smoke together with dust makes a sticky brownish gunk that crawls everywhere and is difficult to remove.

Reply 4 of 12, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
5u3 wrote:

Maybe the seller was a heavy smoker. Tobacco smoke together with dust makes a sticky brownish gunk that crawls everywhere and is difficult to remove.

That's interesting. Perhaps you're right. Although, nearly all of this stuff was only on the gold coloured PCI contact connector section. Almost as if something really weird happened to the PCI slot, and it oozed gunk all over the card that was inserted in to it.

The card seemed to have survived though! 😀

Reply 5 of 12, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Maybe it was in a locker with some chemicals...

Btw I use simple "printer paper" (used like sand paper) to wipe the contacts. The paper becomes dark green/grey and the contacts shiny. Even if the contacts seem clean the paper still takes off some dirt.

1+1=10

Reply 8 of 12, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:
Amigaz wrote:
I use this […]
Show full quote

I use this

21017.jpg

I use that too! Under my armpits! 😉

Me too...I like the "tickling" sensation you get after a couple of shots under each arm 😁

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 12 of 12, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I use 90% Isopropyl to clean most things and a pencil eraser to clean contacts. Also have some nice stuff called Arctic Silver Articlean that is citrus based and cleans off just about anything. I even have some nasty stuff called Oops that's Xylene/Toluene but that stuff is just nasty and only used if everything else fails...