VOGONS

Reply 21 of 24, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
5u3 wrote:

Repairing a board damaged by battery acid is quite a bit of work. First you'll have to get the acid off without damaging the rotten copper traces or other components. Then the traces have to be repaired with conductive paint, or replaced with wires. Affected solder joints may have to be renewed. And even if that goes well, there is still a big chance the board will break again.
All this work is only worthwhile when the damage is minimal.

After reading your message, I thought very carefully about whether I could repair the board. After about a nanosecond's worth of deliberation, I decided to order a replacement 486 mobo from my "supplier"! 😉

Reply 23 of 24, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:

The despicable crook told me it was working fine! 😒

Well, possibly that was not a lie. Corroded traces and solder joints are very brittle, so they might have broken during shipping of the board.

Reply 24 of 24, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
5u3 wrote:
retro games 100 wrote:

The despicable crook told me it was working fine! 😒

Well, possibly that was not a lie. Corroded traces and solder joints are very brittle, so they might have broken during shipping of the board.

Hehe, yeah I know, I was just being silly. 😉 😀

(However when the machine arrived, I had to spend a day and a half wondering why, when I pressed the ON button (a simple test 😉 ), nothing happened. Once I'd solved that problem, I couldn't get past the BIOS screen. And looking at the acid spattered mobo, the situation looks bleak. All of this didn't match the seller's description of "the machine works fine".) 🤣