VOGONS

First post, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are there any actual perceptible difference between these two synthesis?

Or is it sought for it's vintage, classic status alone?

Can I be happy with just listening to my AWE32's FM music? Or will an original Adlib provide me something different?

I have never used an Adlib card before and it's as rare (read unavailable) as LAPC-I in ebay.

Reply 1 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Malik wrote:

Are there any actual perceptible difference between these two synthesis?

Very yes

Doom E1M1
AWE64 (creative crap fm)
CS4231 (YMF262)

Also the creative FM has missing channel anomalies as evidenced in this:
Doom E2M2
AWE64 (creative crap fm)
CS4231 (YMF262)

Sure, YMF262 isn't adlib but it's as closer to it than a creative fm card gets.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 13, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not sure if that is the exact comparison Malik was reffering to..

The AWE64 isn't an actual OPL3, it is synthesized using Creative's proprietary method. But most AWE32's do have a bona-fide OPL3 built in. If I also remember correctly the digital output is sampled through the EMU8000, and available from the S/PDIF header on the board.

So that being said... the only differences would be the output stages.. things like noise and frequency attenuation. Now I haven't had either of these devices.. i'm just spouting information I have picked up from here and other sources. So if i'm wrong someone should step in and set the record straight.

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 5 of 13, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

Can I be happy with just listening to my AWE32's FM music? Or will an original Adlib provide me something different?

That depends on the AWE32 version you got. What's the model number of your card?

Reply 6 of 13, by Silent Loon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

CS4231 (YMF262)
(...)
Sure, YMF262 isn't adlib but it's as closer to it than a creative fm card gets.

You mean a card with Crystal CS4231 codec AND a Yamaha YMF262, don't you? As far as I know CS4231(A; A-KL...) didn't have a build in FM synth, that's why you often find this chip together with a YMF262 on soundcards - but correct me if I'm wrong. I also wonder, if soundcards with the CS4231A and YMF262 are really SBPro compatible, as many manufacturers claim...
Later models, i.e. Crystal CS4237(B) had a build in FM synth, so no YMF262 was needed.

YMF262 is the successor of YM3812, the original FM chip found on the original Adlib card: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_YM3812
Both are from Yamaha, so is there any sound difference between those two?

swaaye wrote:

There are Creative cards with real OPL2/3s.

Often cited, allways informative:
http://queststudios.com/smf/index.php/topic,2175.0.html

Last edited by Silent Loon on 2009-02-09, 11:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 13, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If there's interest I can do a recording from my real Adlib card from 1987 and from other SB cards (1.0, 2.0, Sb Pro etc) for comparison 😀

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 9 of 13, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Silent Loon wrote:
You mean a card with Crystal CS4231 codec AND a Yamaha YMF262, don't you? As far as I know CS4231(A; A-KL...) didn't have a buil […]
Show full quote

You mean a card with Crystal CS4231 codec AND a Yamaha YMF262, don't you? As far as I know CS4231(A; A-KL...) didn't have a build in FM synth, that's why you often find this chip together with a YMF262 on soundcards - but correct me if I'm wrong. I also wonder, if soundcards with the CS4231A and YMF262 are really SBPro compatible, as many manufacturers claim...
Later models, i.e. Crystal CS4237(B) had a build in FM synth, so no YMF262 was needed.

YMF262 is the successor of YM3812, the original FM chip found on the original Adlib card: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_YM3812
Both are from Yamaha, so is there any sound difference between those two?

Several cards utilize a CS4231 (or CS4248) chip, but this 'big' chip is no standalone chip and it does not emulate SBPro. It usually comes with an Opti chip or an Aztech chip to take care of that. The CS4232 is a much smaller chip and it is standalone, SBPRO compatible, but requires an additional FM chip: Usually yamaha or it uses the GM-wavetable functionality for this (SAM 8905). CS4235/36/37 are similar but have a build in OPL3 clone.

I would trust the opl3 to be opl2-compatible enough to give the same genuine sound. but maybe I am being naive 😀 Wikipedia also has a page for the YMF-262 OPL3.

Reply 10 of 13, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
5u3 wrote:

That depends on the AWE32 version you got. What's the model number of your card?

I'm having a CT3980.

prophase_j wrote:

But most AWE32's do have a bona-fide OPL3 built in. If I also remember correctly the digital output is sampled through the EMU8000, and available from the S/PDIF header on the board.

Yes, I'm using the digital output via the S/PDIF-Coaxial Cable. It's connected to my digital AV receiver.

Reply 11 of 13, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

To avoid having to try to understand that six page post I started (its not all my fault, I swear!), I would say that your OPL is 100 percent compatible with the real OPL3 (with the AWE32 CT-3980). Creative had not switched to its own FM emulation methods yet.

Reply 13 of 13, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Great Hierophant wrote:

To avoid having to try to understand that six page post I started (its not all my fault, I swear!), I would say that your OPL is 100 percent compatible with the real OPL3 (with the AWE32 CT-3980). Creative had not switched to its own FM emulation methods yet.

I'm very glad to hear it! Thanks!