VOGONS

AWE control panel / soundfont set up

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is not exactly the one: instead google 'sf2midi emu 8mbgm'.

It is not related to FM. When Timidity++ is running it uses the CPU to do what the AWE32 Wavetable Synth does. Then it outputs the generated music as sample/WAV/Digitized sound. It could work on any soundcard regardless of their FM or GM music capabilities. Except when using it for Dos games, you need a legacy audio driver running (or VDMsound) to capture and route the Game's midi signal to Timiditi++.

Reply 21 of 27, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tried emuaps_8mb.sf2 , but as much as some instruments sound good, drums arent nearly as good as on adv_gm7.sf2. I guess its a matter of taste then ;-/

Reply 22 of 27, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I noticed drums are a bit faint on certain tracks. It ain't perfect but certainly worth a try.

@batracio
If you or anyone else finds the time to try the SF2load/HX extender trick, I would like to know if it works. Also there is SBKPlay which supposedly loads a SBK in DOS (no SF2?), but unloads it when done. It should be possible to hack it to skip the unloading, using HIEW, or maybe by just pressing ctrl+break.

Attachments

• Filename
    sbkplay.zip
    File size
    23.69 KiB
    Downloads
    173 downloads
    File comment
    SBK Player 0.90 - dollee by 2010 Software
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 23 of 27, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Update: I recently got myself a pair of 16mb SIMMs so I fully equipped AWE32. I finally tried Chorium 28MB bank and it does sound nice. But I think I found one better to my liking: Chaos bank 12mb.
Link:
www.hammersound.com/cgi-bin/soundlink.p ... (12Mb).rar
It has drums as good as AVS7, but where avs7 lacked "normal" instruments, chaos brings it forward.

Reply 25 of 27, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote:

Also there is SBKPlay which supposedly loads a SBK in DOS (no SF2?), but unloads it when done. It should be possible to hack it to skip the unloading, using HIEW, or maybe by just pressing ctrl+break.

To finish this side-topic; Since I got myself a AWE32 CT1920 I could try it myself some months ago, but it did not work; using ctrl+break on sbkplay will lock your system. Also the authors' email address is obsolete by now.

PS. here is a mirror;
SF2 CHAOS BANK V1.9 12MB

Reply 26 of 27, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Moogle! wrote:

How exactly did you managed to aquire it? Every link on that page is dead.

Wow. They killed it 😀 I downloaded from the first link just a day ago!
Here another mirror:
http://members.lycos.co.uk/cybervortex/soundf … s/download.html
then select chaos bank v1.9 12mb

Reply 27 of 27, by guest_2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Very old thread I know but someone may see this.
When I attempt to load an SF2 file into SB AWE control panel in Synth bank for general midi, it says 'AWECP32. The selected file contain unrecognized file format! Current operation will be aborted' Is there a trick to getting SF2 files loaded instead of SBK? SBK synth banks load fine. I have a couple of SF2 files I would like to try.

edit - sorted it. Just needed an updated version of SB AWE control panel and a new driver. Chorium loaded and sounds great 😀

Thanks