VOGONS

SC8500 sound card - what does it do?

Topic actions

Reply 81 of 99, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm getting a bit confused. What does 94dinit2.exe do? Does it send a sound bank file to the stick of RAM on board the sound card? When I run 94dinit2, it appears to do whatever it does very quickly. Perhaps it is not uploading any sound bank file to the stick of RAM. The reason I think this is because I removed the stick of RAM, and then ran 94dinit2 without any parameters, and the length of time it took to init the card was the same as before (when I used the 3 typical parameters) - about 1 second. Also, the music sounds the same as before (when I used the 3 typical parameters).

Perhaps you can't upload a sound bank file to the sound card's stick of RAM, inside pure DOS? Perhaps, when you listen to General Midi music using this sound card in pure DOS, it always uses the 4MB of on board wavetable ROM music sounds? Perhaps I'm an idiot?

Reply 82 of 99, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think that it was already mentioned in thsi thread somewhere that 94dinit.exe does not upload any soundfont, regardless what you tell it.
94dinit2.exe is just another version I found on the internet and I could'nt find any difference in functionality.

4mg1 is a default naming for the ROM soundfont.

After the initialisation the Crystal Codec 4236 without B seems to be only halfway in the UART configuration. This is for example seen when running MegaMid, where it complains on first run that it could not go to UART mode at 0x300, on second run it works fine. This could be the same effect the confuses the setup of descent.
Some software seems to be sensitive to this. If you want to make sure that it works in delicate apps when you reach the command line after reboot, call MegaMid once in the autoexec.bat with any Midi file. If you see the error, then it should be fine afterwards.

You can upload soundfonts from within Win9x and Win NT4 ofcourse (maybe even Win3.x). If you go for pure DOS you are sticked with the 4 MB roland SF (which isn't too bad).

You can add upto 16 MB RAM to the card AFAIK.

About the Crystal PnP Initialisation: Which file is read depends on the version of initialisation tool you use. cwdinit reads cwdinit.ini, older versions may read csaudio.ini ?!?
Well check the verbose output, the tool shows the filename it reads.
CDIO and CDInt is DreamDSP and MPU401xxx the external wavetable.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 83 of 99, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks very much for that info - really appreciate that! 😀

>> 4mg1 is a default naming for the ROM soundfont

Ah, I see! The thing that was confusing me was - inside the maxi64dos folder, there is a sub folder called Bank. Inside this folder, there is a file called 4mg1, and it's about 8MB in size! I thought that 94dinit2 was trying to load this 8mb "4mg1" file in to the sound card. But it is not. As you say, 4mg1 is simply the name of the ROM sound font. You must be right, because 94dinit2 runs so quickly - about 1 second! Thanks a lot for the info. BTW, the ROM sound font does sound good!

Reply 84 of 99, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well I don't know where you got your installation from, but it looks like one of my test setups.
The 8 MB file is probably a renamed soundbank. You can check the size against the directory list I posted in the EWS64XL thread.
I renamed it to test, if the 94dinit loads soundfonts or not (apparently it doesn't).

The dream.ini file was probably a template for a hardware configuration.
I made ini files for Dream on 330 and external wavetable on 300 and vise versa.
So copying the corresponding template to cwdinit.ini and calling cwdinit.exe reconfigures the card and you can simply choose what wavetable to use without touching any game config.

To access the same features the EWS64XL software enables through its mixer setting, you have to use here SYSEX messages in DOS.
To get some UI for reverb and so on, you have to install the Win9x software (I prefer the NT4 software though).

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel

Reply 85 of 99, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

>> ... it looks like one of my test setups.

Hehe! Yes, it is. I downloaded it from one of your posts in this thread - on page 2. Anyway, thanks once again for the excellent info!

Reply 86 of 99, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My new Digital PC 5100 has this Crystal chipset integrated in the MOBO. I was able to initiate it with CS4232C.EXE. It does not work in Duke Nukem 3D however. I plugged in a CT1350 and it works 100%. 😀

Reply 87 of 99, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use a basic Crystal CS4232 card most of the time, and that one works well as a SB Pro compatible with Duke Nukem 3D.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 88 of 99, by dr.wily

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a SC-8000 v3.2. SC-6000 drivers works but I only have FM & PCM feature. Plus FM is not fully supported because adtraker2 produce weird sound.

I can't use the "dream" chipset too.

The card has an Analog Device AD1845 and CompuMedia ASC-9408a chiset

The card :

http://wellby.dyndns.org/dnl/img/snd-sc8000.jpg

Reply 89 of 99, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So welcome in my boat, Dr. Wily. Also habe this card and nope, I also don't have any really matching drivers that get everything to work.
Only things known for sure:

SC8000 V 3.2:
- Gallant / Guillemot made
- Compumedia ASC-9408A Soundchip (looks like the main controller)
- DSP-9410A
- Crystal 4231A / AD1845 16-Bit Codec
- dream 9233 wavetable synth & dream 8905 effects processor
- 1MB of onboard ROM (General Midi Soundbank)
- 6 DIL sockets for 2 banks of sample RAM

SC8000 V 3.31: (maybe something like "Maxi Sound 32 PnP"
- Crystal CS4236 controller / codec / FM
- dream 9233 wavetable synth & dream 8905 effects processor
- 1MB of onboard ROM (General Midi Soundbank)
- 1x 72pin PS/2 socket for sample RAM

Drivers are badly needed for both of the cards but it seems impossible to find them.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 90 of 99, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've got one too, though mine is in a really poor shape : Cleaning corosion on an odd sound card (Gallant SC-8000). I'm slowly trying to repair it

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 91 of 99, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This SC8000 has quite a diferent chipset compared to any SC8500.

FGB wrote:

Drivers are badly needed for both of the cards but it seems impossible to find them.

I always wondered if it would be possible to make a standalone SAM9233/CS9233 DOS initializer tool. By maybe running the Terratec Maestro 32/96 driver whilst using a port monitoring TSR, or by using DosBox debug...
There is also a "PowerWave 32 Pro" out there with just the CS9233 on it. That card's driver would be good to have.

By the way, I did not know CS9233 could use sample RAM.

Reply 92 of 99, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FGB wrote:
SC8000 V 3.31: (maybe something like "Maxi Sound 32 PnP" - Gallant / Guillemot made [...] Drivers are badly needed for both of t […]
Show full quote

[...]

Hmm I guess you already tried those: ftp://retronn.de/driver/guillemot_ftp/sound/1632PNP/ ?

Youtube Channel

Reply 93 of 99, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote:

There is also a "PowerWave 32 Pro" out there with just the CS9233 on it. That card's driver would be good to have.

Found the PowerWave 32 Pro driver here: ftp://ftp.dyu.edu.tw/pub/Hardware/stuff/multi … ia/PowerWave32/
Like I said, it is a midi-only ISA card based on the CS9233. The DOS driver name is "GSINIT.EXE". It does not work with the Maestro 32/96 card though: "PowerWave not found"... And I don't have the time now for more adventures.

Reply 94 of 99, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just noticed that the above mentioned GSINIT for the Powerwave 32 (CS9233) does work in DosBox!? It has a functional piano too.

PowerWave-32-Pro_GSINIT.png
Filename
PowerWave-32-Pro_GSINIT.png
File size
13.93 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
PowerWave-32-Pro_GSINIT2.png
Filename
PowerWave-32-Pro_GSINIT2.png
File size
10.28 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 96 of 99, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elianda wrote on 2017-08-01, 21:57:
FGB wrote:
SC8000 V 3.31: (maybe something like "Maxi Sound 32 PnP" - Gallant / Guillemot made [...] Drivers are badly needed for both of t […]
Show full quote

[...]

Hmm I guess you already tried those: ftp://retronn.de/driver/guillemot_ftp/sound/1632PNP/ ?

Works...thank you! Just gave my SC8000 V3.31 I received recently a quick test and the CS4232C.EXE did the job under DOS.

Tested with
- Populous Adlib
- GODS LAPC1
- Warcraft 2 General Midi and Soundblaster for Digital out

SC8000.jpg
Filename
SC8000.jpg
File size
340.87 KiB
Views
File license
Filename
32pnonly.zip
File size
564.11 KiB
Downloads
86 downloads
File license

Reply 97 of 99, by MaxiSound

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys, i complete this thread about the SC8000 V 3.2. This card is a Guillemot Maxi Sound 32 Wave FX Non PNP (NO PNP), so, the drivers and manuals of the maxi sound 32 post in the section Drivers doesn't work. There is an option for RAM and you need also a software to use it (MAXI MEMORY).
I post here the drivers ans manuals (in french) and an pdf for the jumpers assignments on the card.

The dos drivers maxid.sys is neccesary to initalize the card. Under Windows 9.x, copy the files in DSound directory to the windows system. Under DOS, you may use Sound Blaster compatibility or Roland (I post Two examples of sound with Monkey Island 2).

Many thanks!

Attachments

Reply 98 of 99, by MaxiSound

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I post here the links for the manual for the Maxi Memory Software to use with the SC-8000 V3.2. (In french)

I have also the Sound Impression and Cakewalk Express tu use under Windows 3.x-9x but i don't know if is legal.

Enjoy.

Attachments

• Filename
    Maxi Memory-FR-Part 3.pdf
    File size
    1.78 MiB
    Downloads
    93 downloads
    File comment
    Maxi Memory Part 3
    File license