VOGONS

First post, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a peculiar problem here.

I've got myself a Elpina Socket 7 Based motherboard and went about testing it.

Test Setup:

Elpina Pentium MMX Motherboard (Amptron PM-8400 Rev 5.2A)
VX_Pro+ Chipset
Pentium 133MHz CPU
64MB EDO RAM. (Voltage set at 5v)
PCI Slots: i - Voodoo2 8MB
ii - Diamond Stealth3D 2000
iii - D-Link 528TX Ethernet Adapter
ISA Slots : a - LAPC-I
b. - AWE32 CT3980
PSU : Newly installed 350W (which comes with the -5v rail) with ATX to AT wire with switch

Symptoms:

The system won't boot-up after installing the LAPC-I card. After removing the card, everything works perfectly.
Won't boot in the sense, I can see the fan, power come online but no boot-up screen and the usual single beep is not heard from the pc speaker.

Notes:

i - I have used the exact same setup with another motherboard - a SIS 5512/3 socket 5 based mobo, where everything works perfectly. Including the LAPC-I.

ii - The board came with the Original manual (bless that seller). And I have setup all the jumpers accordingly.

iii - I've played around in bios, setting up things like reserving the IRQ9 for legacy ISA and so on.

iv - I've tried changing to other ISA slots. - Nothing happened.

v - I've tried resetting the CMOS and cleared the PCI/PNP configuration. - Still nothing.

I really like this board since,

1. Newer BIOS supporting multiple boot selection
2. PS/2 Mouse header
3. Gold plated connectors - the power supply, IDE, FDD connectors

What I don't like :

1. Baby-AT mobo.

2.The CPU socket is situated opposite to the PCI slots. I just managed to push the Voodoo2 a bit so that it won't get obstructed by the cpu heatsink. Adding another Voodoo2 SLI is a no go.

Otherwise, it works solid.

I really will appreciate any help regarding how to make the LAPC-I run on this baby.

219102920_tp.jpg

219103037_tp.jpg

219103344_tp.jpg

34173-1.png

Reply 1 of 17, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

this happened to me too on an older p1mmx mobo I had (can't remember which though...) it just would not boot with the LAPC-I installed... I ended up using a different mobo 🙁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 17, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So, I found what was the problem - The MOTHERBOARD!!!!!! 😁
Oh, well, I guess, I'll just revert to my trusty socket 5 based SIS motherboard.
Thanks a lot!!
Really appreciated your enlightening words. I won't be meddling with this board again for the sake of my LAPC-I. 😀

Reply 4 of 17, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:
So, I found what was the problem - The MOTHERBOARD!!!!!! :happyhappy: Oh, well, I guess, I'll just revert to my trusty socket 5 […]
Show full quote

So, I found what was the problem - The MOTHERBOARD!!!!!! 😁
Oh, well, I guess, I'll just revert to my trusty socket 5 based SIS motherboard.
Thanks a lot!!
Really appreciated your enlightening words. I won't be meddling with this board again for the sake of my LAPC-I. 😀

I had one of these board that came with a nice baby AT tower...when I found out PC Chips was behind it all it went into the bin 😜
The board was paper thin as all of their other boards.... 🙁

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 5 of 17, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🤣. I like how the part number so closely resembles that of Intel 430VX.

I'm sure you would be much better off with a real Intel 430FX, HX, or VX chipset.

Reply 6 of 17, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

🤣. I like how the part number so closely resembles that of Intel 430VX.

I'm sure you would be much better off with a real Intel 430FX, HX, or VX chipset.

Yep. Very deceiving indeed!

I have reinstalled the SIS 5501/2/3 chipset based motherboard. And the LAPC-I works like charm! 😀

I'll be looking in ebay again for a good AT based Socket 7 motherboard to go along with my AT casing. I don't feel like putting away my AT mini-tower. Too many good memories with it!
The LED display showing the PC speed sort of resembling the cute messsages shown on the MT-32's display! 😁

Reply 7 of 17, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

what about the mobo I use on my k6-II machine? the gigabyte ga-5ax ... works perfect to my knowledge Malik! 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8 of 17, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

what about the mobo I use on my k6-II machine? the gigabyte ga-5ax ... works perfect to my knowledge Malik! 😀

Thanks! I'll look for one right away! 😀

Reply 9 of 17, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like an Elpina M537D Mainboard.
VPX Pro+ is in reality a VIA Apollo VPX chipset.

I had no problems with such board so far, but it's nothing special either.
FSB 50 to 83 MHz, Multi upto 3x, Voltage 2.5 to 3.5 V.

If you want something rock solid stable, go for a HX Mainboard like the Gigabyte GA586HX (or GA586HX2). The Asus HX board will do it too, though has only 4 Mem Slots. If you want something for Super Socket 7, try to get a VIA MVP3 or Ali Alladin Pro. FIC-VA503+ f.e.
But these usually show more edges than the HX.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 11 of 17, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Malik wrote:

http://www.redhill.net.au/b/b-bad.html
scroll down to the story of the VX Pro. 😀

There's actually some good stuff above that too. I particularly like the part about how they could order some mobos with any chipset they desired. The shady manufacturer would just label it with whatever chipset name.

Reply 12 of 17, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:
http://www.redhill.net.au/b/b-bad.html scroll down to the story of the VX Pro. :) […]
Show full quote
Malik wrote:

http://www.redhill.net.au/b/b-bad.html
scroll down to the story of the VX Pro. 😀

There's actually some good stuff above that too. I particularly like the part about how they could order some mobos with any chipset they desired. The shady manufacturer would just label it with whatever chipset name.

Hehehe...very interesting article!

The VX_PRO+ definitely sounds VERY advanced!
Not only there is the word "PRO" on it, there's another "+" sign after it. As though this is the super of all chipsets. 😜

Reply 14 of 17, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought a PC Chips mobo, with the infamous VX chipset. 😖

Luckily, it didn't cost much. I didn't realise it was one of these laughed at mobos, until it arrived. The box said "PC Chips", and it was only then that I realised it might be one of these things.

Oh well. I guess I could use it for some, um, "experiments". 😉

(Photo is seller's pic.)

Attachments

• PCchips.jpg
    Filename
    PCchips.jpg
    File size
    23.75 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 15 of 17, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've just tested this PC-Chips VXPro+ chipset based mobo, as shown in the post directly above. The results of this test are shown below. Are they bad? (I haven't worked out what all the numbers mean in these speedsys tests yet.)

Attachments

• pc-chips.jpg
    Filename
    pc-chips.jpg
    File size
    52.77 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 16 of 17, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

here are some comparison values: http://www.dosforum.de/viewtopic.php?t=2341

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 17 of 17, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elianda wrote:

here are some comparison values: http://www.dosforum.de/viewtopic.php?t=2341

Thanks! Hehe, there are some familiar faces on that board I see! 😀 Quite a few of those tests have been done with an Intel Pentium 166 MMX. I might have to dig one of those out, and retest the PC-Chips mobo with this CPU, so that I can compare the results with the results on the dosforum website.