VOGONS

First post, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,

I just installed Scitech Display Doctor 6.53 for Windows. I am using 98SE. In Windows the Scitech icon on the taskbar always has a red line through it. When I click to enable Scitech it says it needs to restart the computer to do so. When Windows restarts it has a red line through it again. My graphics card is a Matrox Millennium II PCI. I am not very familiar with the program anyway and not that knowledgeable about older systems which doesn't help. Is there something I need to to do to enable the program in 98? Also, it says that this version is for DOS as well. I think it updated my autoexec.bat with the lines that enable it to work in DOS. Do I need to do anything else from within DOS to make it work for DOS now? Also, I don't really know what the UNIVIBE thing does for DOS (helps my video somehow?). Did Scitech install this for DOS when I installed the program? My autoexec.bat has an entry which is "C:\SDD\UNIVIBE32.EXE -W". Looking at the -W makes me think that it is not installed for DOS? Sorry for all the questions. It's been so long since I used an older system I've forgotten a lot of stuff.

Reply 2 of 13, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't really need it for Windows as much I need it for DOS. The Matrox drivers are up to date.

Reply 3 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AFAIR , scitech in windows is working as a generic VGA driver with lots of refresh options and custom resolutions (more options than normal windows generic VGA driver) so it is not recommended to use it on a "modern" Matrox card 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 13, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, thanks. So I should install the version of Scitech that is just for DOS and uninstall it from Windows? I had a computer back in the DOS days but I never did have Scitech so this is new ground for me. I got the Scitech installs from a link posted here and I noticed there is a version just for DOS.

Reply 6 of 13, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The AUTOEXEC.BAT file you posted in your other thread shows that the SDD TSR gets loaded before some Matrox VESA utilities:

C:\SDD\UNIVBE32.EXE -w
SET MGA=C:\MGA\SETUP\
c:\mga\setup\vbetsr
c:\mga\setup\vbesetup

I don't know the Matrox "VBETSR" utility, but chances are high that this causes a conflict with SDD. You'll have to choose which one to load, either SDD or VBETSR.

I agree with the posters above, the SDD Windows programs are not much use with a Matrox card, especially if you're running Win9x. Better get the DOS standalone version instead.

Reply 7 of 13, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, when I get back home I will uninstall the current SDD. And then install SDD for DOS only.

Thanks for the advice.

Reply 9 of 13, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I need to REM out this then?

SET MGA=C:\MGA\SETUP\
c:\mga\setup\vbetsr
c:\mga\setup\vbesetup

So as far as DOS goes is SDD going to be better that the Matrox drivers?

Reply 10 of 13, by Silent Loon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The question is: better to do what?

Generally you won't need drivers in dos. I had the same Matrox card as you have in one of my first retro computers, and the utility was good to get higher screen refresh rates on my crt display. The Matrox card should allready have VBE 2.0 and if it does not, maybe the utility is a workaround, or you have to patch the vga bios, which is possible with those cards.

But what for - if you don't have a problem with a certain game or dos application there is no need to do this, or using univbe. Univbe could make older ISA or VLB cards a bit faster in certain SVGA modes, as far as I remember, but the Matrox card should be fast enough for all dos games and compatible too.

If you need (and your display is able to run) higher refresh rates, I would use the matrox utility - in the MGA folder should be a readme file, that explains how to configure it.

Reply 12 of 13, by Silent Loon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What kind of display do you use?

By the way - you should find all drivers and utilites for the card still at matrox web site (search for something like "Legacy products", "older drivers"). The bios package also contains the tsr your autoexec.bat is referring to.

Reply 13 of 13, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have it hooked to a 17 inch CRT. The Matrox site is where I got the drivers about 12 months ago so I don't think I have a problem there.