VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have been successfully testing some Pentium 1 CPUs. They range from P100 non-MMXs, to P200 MMXs. But when I inserted a P133 non-MMX CPU in to the mobo, and pressed the power switch on the back of the PSU (which doesn't turn on power to the whole PC itself), sparks came out of the PSU. I then realised that I forgot to alter the core/bus ratio jumpers on the mobo for this P133 CPU. So I fixed that, then turned on the PSU power switch again. More sparks. So, I take out the P133 CPU, and put back my last good working CPU, which is a P100. I reset the core/bus jumpers on the mobo for this P100 CPU, and turn on the power switch. No sparks. That's good. So I poke a screwdriver on the power pins on the mobo to get the power flowing. Power flows, mobo works, that's good. 😀

Anyone want me to fix your computer? Full refund if your house goes up in flames. 😉

Reply 2 of 7, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

🤣
u lucky!

Yeah! 😀 I took out the working P100 CPU, and put in another P133 CPU. I didn't want to risk putting back the first P133 CPU that may have caused the sparks, so I dug out another one instead. This time, before pressing the ON switch on the PSU, I correctly set the core ratio jumper on the mobo.

So - power on, no sparks. Screwdriver goes on the power pins, mobo works. Groovy. 😀

Reply 3 of 7, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Something's wrong. I've changed mobos, and now the PSU is making a bang! sound when I switch on power. I do get power, but not after I hear a bang! I've now stopped using it, and swapped it out for another PSU. It's a pity, because I will have to replace it. Corsair HX520s are not cheap. 🙁

Reply 5 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah well you should be glad it's just sparks and not a complete explosion with soot all stuck in your face. 😖
but yeah, sparks are still a very bad sign though. don't use it. i'm amazed your house didn't catch on electrical fire

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 7, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The loud bang you're hearing is the PSU's short-circuit protection tripping. Most likely some internal component got badly damaged, causing the short-circuit.

And now the good news:
According to their webpage, Corsair offers 5 years warranty for their HX series PSUs. Send your damaged one in, get a new one!

Reply 7 of 7, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@everyone, I've stopped using this PSU!

@5u3, thanks for the tip! - I'll contact Corsair's Customer Services dept. Unfortunately, I ruthlessly discard all packaging for my things in order to save space, so I'll have to ask them whether I am allowed to return just the unit, without its box, etc.