VOGONS

First post, by Hater Depot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since my current PSU is about as quiet as a hurricane, I'm in the market for a new one. The problem is I have no experience selecting or installing one. Here's my current set-up:

MSI K7T Turbo
Athlon XP 1800+
1gb SDRAM
250gb SATA HD
Creative Audigy2
Geforce 6200 (fanless)
1 CD drive, 1 floppy

My ideal PSU is very, very quiet and has modular cabling, and won't set me back over $70. I'm leaning towards an Ultra X-Connect since they have modular cabling and don't cost too much on eBay, but I really don't know if they will be compatible with my system or case. What do I need to know to be sure what I buy will work for me?

Reply 2 of 5, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I 'm using a CoolMax CX series 400 watt right now in my system (specs in sig). It is pretty quiet, has a speed selector switch, and nice long cables. Here is an example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Coolmax-400-Watt-PSU- … 1QQcmdZViewItem

Notice how the PCB is all located at the at the top and aligned up-side down, with the 120mm fan blowing air directly on it and a huge exhaust area in the back. I you have the cash to spare get one of those super efficient one but other wise this guy will work like a charm. Just stick to a minimum of 300 watts.

EDIT: Apparently this model dosn't have a -5v rail. I really thought it did but the box and website say no. This will make it so that certain legacy ISA cards won't work.

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 3 of 5, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

He doesn't need -5V rail, since that Mobo doesn't have ISA slots. Basically, get out there and buy yourself any ATX PSU you want - every single one will work. Just check the noise ration printed on the box before you buy it.

Reply 4 of 5, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hehe I was just looking at that, after I remembered that only KT133a boards with ISA slots are the EPOX and ABIT models.

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 5 of 5, by Hater Depot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elfuego wrote:

He doesn't need -5V rail, since that Mobo doesn't have ISA slots. Basically, get out there and buy yourself any ATX PSU you want - every single one will work. Just check the noise ration printed on the box before you buy it.

Now that's what I wanted to hear! 😁 Thanks everyone.