VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would like to be able to do the following on Windows 98 (and also Windows 95, if possible) -

Install any piece of hardware, along with its associated driver & application software package, and then after testing the hardware, remove it and all traces of its associated driver & application software.

Example - I install a Creative Soundblaster Live! card and then install its driver and software applications from a CD. After testing the card, I want to be able to remove the card and every trace of the driver & applications on the HDD - as if the card was never installed in the first place. I guess I'm looking for a powerful uninstaller which is able to monitor any piece of software being installed, and then be able to "roll back" the "status" of the HDD, to a point just before the software was installed.

It's just to help me test stuff. Sometimes, when you install a piece of hardware & its associated driver/app package, it goes wrong. I just want to be able to "roll back" to a point before I attempted to install something. (I don't want to mess about with back ups, as that can be quite time consuming.)

Thanks a lot for any suggestions! 😀

Reply 3 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I doubt any of the software virtualization suits support 9x, so what you'll probably have to do is use those utilities that monitor file/registry access for you.

Another option is to use Vmware/VirtualBox/VPC to create a snapshot before installing software and the roll back. You won't be able to test your hardware in a VM though.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 12, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Norton Ghost restores amazingly fast IMHO. It has its own smartdrive system. The partition size does not matter on itself, it is the amount of used space on the partition that matters.

Reply 9 of 12, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What I usually do in these situations on a Win 9x system is to enter safe mode, remove the software and drivers the usual way, then delete all the traces of a driver from the driver manager. After that, running "regedit" and manually search'n'destroy everything thats driver's company related. Of course, its neither fast, nor safe, nor 100% clear afterwards but at least its more or less satisfying.

However, there might be a way to get rid of all the drivers. Make a backup copy of window\system and system32 directories without any special drivers. Then, if things get nasty - delete the current system and system32 directories and replace them with the backups. Never tried it though... 😀

Reply 11 of 12, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe try Quarterdeck Cleansweep.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool