VOGONS

First post, by Silent Loon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, I know, the Gravis Ultrasound Max has 512kb onboard RAM and the CS4231 Codec. But what does this mean for games compability beyond native GUS support?
Does the Crystal chip make WSS and Soundblaster emulation any better? Is the card thereby able to emulate a SBPro?

Reply 1 of 4, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a Monte Carlo that also uses the same CS4231 codec and sound blaster pro support happens to be only through an annoying tsr that doesn't work half the time. It's better on windows though (DUH OF COURSE given it's the Windows Sound System)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 4, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CS4231A.pdf wrote:

WSS SOFTWARE COMPATIBILITY
The CS4231/4248 is compatible with Microsoft Windows Sound System software (version 2.0) with respect to wave audio data support. Since the evaluation board does not contain a synthesizer, the MIDI portion of WSS will not function. When installing the Microsoft software, select Custom Installation and set the base address, IRQ, and DMA channel consistent with the evaluation board jumper settings. Since the board does not contain the extra hardware needed for software configuration of the IRQ and DMA channel, the Auto Installation mode of the Microsoft WSS software is not supported.

Nothing about Sound Blaster support, I understand that is why the CS4231 is often paired with an Opti chip (on cards other then the GUS), so the latter serves as a more compatible (SB-Pro) interface to the Crystal Codec.