VOGONS

First post, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is it possible to somehow enable both CD-ins at the same time on AWE32, or only one can be used at time?

On the CT 3980 AWE32 I found two internal CD-in connectors. One of them I connected to a CD drive unit and it worked quite good so far. However, I recently acquired Voodoo3 3500TV (the only voodoo with a TV tuner) which has the same internal audio out connector as the CD drive. I connected it with the second CD-in from my AWE32 but I got no sound whatsoever.

I would hate to have to open the case every time I want to switch between tuner and DOS CD audio - is there a way to fix this in an elegant way? 😉

Reply 1 of 14, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

These are usually different pinouts belonging to the same audio channel. So no, there is no easy way.

If you know your way around electronics you could try adding resistors to the two audio sources and make a simple mixer this way.

1+1=10

Reply 2 of 14, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In this case with the Voodoo 3500TV, I think it's manual will help enlighten the usage of the audio out port on the card, if you can find it. Ordinary audio out and CD out have different signals. Maybe that connector has some sort of proprietary Line-in cable?

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 3 of 14, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

In this case with the Voodoo 3500TV, I think it's manual will help enlighten the usage of the audio out port on the card, if you can find it. Ordinary audio out and CD out have different signals. Maybe that connector has some sort of proprietary Line-in cable?

That would be a difficult task. I only got the card and the blue plastic bundle for VIVO, no manual or packaging included 🙁

Reply 4 of 14, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

does the awe32 have 2 cd ins
1 for analog 4pin plug(may only have 2 wires)
1 for digital 2pin plug

4pin
http://www.logicsupply.com/images/photos/cabl … CDaudio_big.jpg

2pin
https://www.americanconsumercables.com/cart/i … mport/07090.jpg

edit: just re-read your post (properly this time)
you cant enable them both at the same time but you can switch between them in the mixer (may be listed as spdif in)
you wouldnt want to listen to a cd while watching tv anyway

Reply 7 of 14, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Davros wrote:

the 2 pin wire could connect to spdif (is it 2 pins?)

The idea is good! But the downside is - I dont have a SPDIF 2-pin cable to connect the CD unit to; moreover im not even sure I have 2-pin CD-out on the drive itself. Gotta check it out.

Thanks anyway!

Reply 8 of 14, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Even if you had the 2-pin cable and your CD-ROM drive featured a S/P-DIF output, it wouldn't help, because the AWE32 doesn't have a digital input.

As h-a-l-9000 already pointed out, the AWE32 does not really have two CD-Audio inputs, its just one input which happens to have two connectors. These are not intended to be used both at the same time, they're just there to match different CD-Audio cables.

Basically you have two options for getting both signals into your AWE32:

• Build an audio switch or a passive mixer
  • Use another channel for the output of the V3 TV audio (e.g.: Line-In)

Reply 10 of 14, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
5u3 wrote:

Even if you had the 2-pin cable and your CD-ROM drive featured a S/P-DIF output, it wouldn't help, because the AWE32 doesn't have a digital input.

Are you sure? On that schema I posted there is an SPDIF marked next to EMU8000.

5u3 wrote:
As h-a-l-9000 already pointed out, the AWE32 does not really have two CD-Audio inputs, its just one input which happens to have […]
Show full quote

As h-a-l-9000 already pointed out, the AWE32 does not really have two CD-Audio inputs, its just one input which happens to have two connectors. These are not intended to be used both at the same time, they're just there to match different CD-Audio cables.
Basically you have two options for getting both signals into your AWE32:

• Build an audio switch or a passive mixer
  • Use another channel for the output of the V3 TV audio (e.g.: Line-In)

Thats basically only one option, since Im using external SC-55 over Line-in and I find it too much of a bother. *shruggs*
I guess its time to insert another sound card into the system and solve the problem. I'll connect Voodoo to the CD-in of SB 16, then connect output of SB16 to Mic-in of AWE32 and it should work. I hope DOS won't hold it against me if I insert two very similar Creative soundcards. 😀

Thanks anyway guys it was worth a try 😀

Last edited by elfuego on 2009-05-03, 16:33. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 11 of 14, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Moogle! wrote:

I have seen 1/8" jack to CD in connectors. Have one actually.

This might be a possibility, but I have no idea where to get one. Never saw one in my life ;-/

Reply 12 of 14, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elfuego wrote:
5u3 wrote:

Are you sure? On that schema I posted there is an SPDIF marked next to EMU8000.

Yes. The AWE S/P-DIF connector is an output.
On AWE32 cards it has a further limitation: It only carries signals from the EMU8K-chip, which means only the internal AWE Wavetable sound and the FM sound can be output digitally.
On AWE64 cards, it also transmits the other channels (digital sound, Mic-in, Line-in, Wavetable addon card, ...), but it still hasn't got a S/P-DIF input.

elfuego wrote:

I guess its time to insert another sound card into the system and solve the problem. I'll connect Voodoo to the CD-in of SB 16, then connect output of SB16 to Mic-in of AWE32 and it should work. I hope DOS won't hold it against me if I insert two very similar Creative soundcards. 😀

Using the Mic-in still isn't the ideal solution, because of the impedance mismatch between the line output and the microphone input. Besides, you would only get a mono signal through that.

Here is a better alternative:

,---------.
| CD-ROM |
| |
| CD-out>---+
`---------´ |
,---------. |
| AWE32 | | ,---------.
| | | | SC-55 |
| CD-in<---+ | |
| Line-in<-------<Line-out |
| Line-out>---+ `---------´
`---------´ |
,---------. |
| SB16 | | ,---------.
| | | | Voodoo3 |
| Line-in<---+ | |
| CD-in<-------<TV-out |
| Line-out>---+ `---------´
`---------´ |
|
Amplifier/Speakers

Instead of the SB16 you could use any other sound card.

Reply 13 of 14, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^^ thats a good point.

I can use any other sound card, thats true - but currently I have a SB pro2, SB16 and AWE32. I would hate to have to buy yet another card just for this. I already have enough retro-junk 😜