VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am testing an MSI 6119 slot 1 board. When I turn it on, I see a Packard Hell splash screen. 🙁 I want to upgrade the flash BIOS to the latest version, but I've run in to a problem -

The latest BIOS available is for Award BIOS. On my flash chip, I see a sticker saying AMIBIOS. There are old AMIBIOS BIOSes available for this board, but having the Award BIOS would be best, because it supports faster CPUs.

I tried flashing the BIOS using an Award flash program, but it locked up and didn't succeed. How can I 'delete' the AMIBIOS BIOS, and replace it with an Award BIOS? Do I need to physically remove the BIOS chip, and send it to a "BIOS flash nerdy person"? 😉

Thanks for any thoughts. 😀

Reply 1 of 2, by Moogle!

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can hot flash. if you have another board with a socket of the same type.

There is uniflash, which may let you write directly on the MSI, provided it is supported. I found 486 boards with flasghable BIOSes to be spotty at best, so I usually use a known good PII board for actual flashing.

Reply 2 of 2, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Uniflash worked! BTW, the mainboard is called Packard Bell "Tacoma". I used a PB flash utility to successfully upgrade the BIOS to the last version, 1.9 After that worked, I gave Uniflash a try, and upgraded the BIOS to Award version 2.9