VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Testing a MB-8433UUD 486 mobo, with Award BIOS.

During POST, the screen displays the familiar HDD/FDD/serial/parallel etc etc information, but the HDD doesn't boot up. My BIOS POST card shows the number 11 00. Presumably I need to look up the Award BIOS error code of 11. So I do that, and it says -

"Test DMA Page Registers"

Incidentally, I'm just using a basic old HDD plugged in to the mobo's integrated IDE port. Nothing fancy here. No PCI IDE controller cards, or even a FDD (which didn't work either.) Just a graphics card, and the simple old HDD plugged in to the mobo's IDE port, using a 40 pin cable.

Thanks a lot for any clues.

Reply 2 of 11, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I went a bit "mad", and inside the BIOS, set everything I could see to "disabled" - which was my way of setting the BIOS to "fail safe" mode. It now boots up OK. I have no idea why. Obviously one (or more) edited BIOS settings (set to disabled) have "done the trick", but it will take some more testing to see which disabled setting has cured the problem.

Reply 3 of 11, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've found the specific problem. If I set "external cache" to disabled, the mobo functions OK and boots up from a HDD. If I set "external cache" to enabled, then the mobo hangs during its POST operations, and cannot boot from a HDD. (The mobo gets to the point where it should mention "updating ESCD" but then hangs. Please note - it doesn't display anything about updating ESCD - it must hang just before this gets displayed on the screen.)

Also, the BIOS POST procedure displays "Cache 256k". I've checked the mobo jumpers, and I think they are set OK for 256k of cache.

Could one (or more) of the cache chips (or TAG chip) be defective? I'm using a 486 dx2 66 CPU with writeback cache - and the mobo displays this cpu as p24d-s

Thanks for any more help!! 😀

Reply 4 of 11, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Solved! I changed the Intel 486 dx2-66 cpu for an AMD 486 dx4-100 cpu. That seemed to solve the L2 cache problem. Strange. Buggy mobo BIOS perhaps? I ran speedsys, just for a laugh. Also, Doom plays fast.

Finally, now I've changed the CPU, windows 98 crashes badly when it tries to display the desktop - Kernel error. Perhaps windows 98 is confused that I've changed the CPU?

Attachments

• SSTIMG01.png
    Filename
    SSTIMG01.png
    File size
    11.29 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 11, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

Maybe the cache error manifests itself in a different way now that the CPU timing has changed... try to start Win98 without cache.

I tried setting level 2 cache to disabled, and level 1 cache to write thru (not write back), but windows 98 has become very unstable. I think it may require reinstallation.

Reply 7 of 11, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I decided not to reinstall windows 98, but instead to go back to the Intel 486 DX2-66 cpu. With L2 cache enabled, and L1 cache set to writeback, all is OK. I don't know why, but it works.

One other thing I noticed - Magic Carpet didn't like the AMD DX4 cpu. Hexen also crashed about 30 seconds playing the game with the AMD cpu.

The conclusion I have to come to is this - I don't know what I'm doing. 🤣

Reply 9 of 11, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Davros wrote:

You took your time, I came to that conclusion ages ago 😁

🤣 One reason I appear to be so stupid, is that I didn't get involved in any of this stuff until about a year ago.

Incidentally, that reminds me, I find mobo manuals difficult to understand - specifically the chapter on the BIOS. I turn to a page, and typically I see the following -

No-idea-what-this-means : Enabled

If you want to set "No-idea-what-this-means" to Enabled, then please choose Enabled. If you want to set "No-idea-what-this-means" to Disabled, then set it to Disabled. The problem is that I've got no idea what the option "No-idea-what-this-means" is, because it doesn't tell you.

I need to grab a book (or read a website) that tells you what all these weird BIOS settings mean. At the moment, a lot of my choices are 'educated' guesses.

Reply 10 of 11, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retro games 100 wrote:
:lol: One reason I appear to be so stupid, is that I didn't get involved in any of this stuff until about a year ago. […]
Show full quote
Davros wrote:

You took your time, I came to that conclusion ages ago 😁

🤣 One reason I appear to be so stupid, is that I didn't get involved in any of this stuff until about a year ago.

Incidentally, that reminds me, I find mobo manuals difficult to understand - specifically the chapter on the BIOS. I turn to a page, and typically I see the following -

No-idea-what-this-means : Enabled

If you want to set "No-idea-what-this-means" to Enabled, then please choose Enabled. If you want to set "No-idea-what-this-means" to Disabled, then set it to Disabled. The problem is that I've got no idea what the option "No-idea-what-this-means" is, because it doesn't tell you.

I need to grab a book (or read a website) that tells you what all these weird BIOS settings mean. At the moment, a lot of my choices are 'educated' guesses.

lolol

I agree about the manuals..
Let's not forget the are translated from chineese by someone from china 😁
But it's not the worst chineese-->english translations I've seen..

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 11 of 11, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

have a look at rojacks bios guide (allthough its amimed at modern pc's)
http://www.adriansrojakpot.com/Speed_Demonz/B … Guide_Index.htm

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness